3 cents

oldsledz

Apr 7, 2007
Mid MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Tesoro
This is my 21st year detecting and I found my first 3 cent piece Wednesday night it is a 1873 I also got a 1876 dime and a wheat penny with no date and a couple memorial cents.

Tuesday night I got a 1945 penny a few new coins and a thimble , Thursday night I got a 1881 penny and 4 memorials.

The site has been a city park for about 20 years before that it was a privet tennis court, there is a layer of clay covering most of the site about 4 inches thick so it must have been a clay court at one time.
The wheat pennies came out of the clay and the older coins came from top soil below the clay. The park covers half of a city block in the older part of town, I would guess there were houses on the site at one time. They are still moving dirt so I will be back tomorrow night.
DSC03352.jpg

DSC03355.jpg

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent olds coins, oldsledz. :icon_thumleft: I love that green 3 center. Maybe someday.....:icon_pirat: Good luck on future hunts there.

HH

x.marks

Mar 28, 2010
Wow! I would pitch a tent and pack a lunch. :thumbsup: A huge congrats! I cant wait to see what else you bring back from there. Keep us posted! :hello2:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Cliff! :thumbsup: a big congrats on your first 3 center...looks nice! seated silver too, thats a good hunt.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the coins Oldsledz. Never pulled a 3 center or seated yet. WTG :icon_thumleft:

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah!! Now those are two good keepers for sure! Congrats!

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent score on the 3 cent nickel and seated dime :thumbsup: I got my first 3 cent nickel last year but it's got 2 holes drilled in it but that didn't bother me in the least. I've found a couple of the three cent silvers too. It took me 20 years of detecting to get my first 3 cent nickel!

OP
OP
O

oldsledz

Apr 7, 2007
Mid MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Tesoro
Just a note on the 3 cent nickel , they would be vary easy to pass up as trash, it comes up as Foil on my Fisher CZ5.

OP
OP
O

oldsledz

Apr 7, 2007
Mid MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Tesoro
I went back Friday night and hunted in light rain and got 2 Memorial cents a 1943 P war nickel and my first Seated half a 1858 O
DSC03365.jpg

DSC03367.jpg

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some serious oldies. Oldsledz, have you tried to restore them? Especially the silver. That seated half and the dime look like easy restoration. Congrats and post cleanup pics if you decide to do that.. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions