Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
life_digger said:
hey guys i just wondered the best way to remove a litte bit of the green color and corrosion from a copper coin with out messing up the details too bad
I've found that hot peroxide soaks work to loosen heavy corrosion, but tend to darken copper coins, and can wipe out detail on a very old delicate coin. A virgin olive oil soak for a couple days or even weeks helps to loosen crud or corrosion. I had what I thought was a toasted 1864 IH, after soaking in oil for a week I was able to lift all of the crud and expose nice detail underneath.
Good luck, ffd

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
life_digger said:
hey guys i just wondered the best way to remove a litte bit of the green color and corrosion from a copper coin with out messing up the details too bad
I've found that hot peroxide soaks work to loosen heavy corrosion, but tend to darken copper coins, and can wipe out detail on a very old delicate coin. A virgin olive oil soak for a couple days or even weeks helps to loosen crud or corrosion. I had what I thought was a toasted 1864 IH, after soaking in oil for a week I was able to lift all of the crud and expose nice detail underneath.
Good luck, ffd
yeah I second that. We are fortunate to live in Michigan where the soil is pretty good on coppers, and I love to keep the green patina on them if possible. But most of the time I soak them in boiled peroxide for 5 minutes or so at a time. Sometimes I'll scrub them with a worn out choreboy, then once their dry, I'll lightly rub a little olive oil on them. Sometimes corrosion wont come off though. But of course they will always say with a valuable coin you shouldn't clean it at all. good luck, Griff

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a nice green, I wouldn't touch it. If it has some crusty build up, drop it in olive oil for a few weeks then use a thorn or toothpick to pick at the crust.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread