WOW!!! Never thought I would find one of these!…….

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on many CW hunts out east and have seen many reales found. Always wanted to find one but never figured it would be a "BIG" 8 reales! I met up with some friends to hunt an old park. On our way we came across some street construction in the old part of town. We decided the the park wasn't going anywhere but the construction would be done soon enough. The street was gone and the curbs. The grass areas and sidewalks still remained except for at each intersection, about 10' of sidewalk was gone at the corners. Well a few blocks down I was searching a corner of sidewalk bed and got a good coin hit. I put my hand digger in and out popped a big dark disc. I thought it was a big washer or? Then I noticed an "old" eagle on the back. I knew it was pre Morgan so I thought I had a trade dollar. I soon realized it was an old Spanish 8 Reales. The date is 1832. The sidewalk was laid in 1900 so it had been buried at least 115 years. But since it was about 4" deep in the dark dirt under the sidewalk I think much longer. I had to use electrolysis to clean it up then took it to my coin dealer to authenticate it. I entered it last night in the find of the month contest at our metal detecting club and it won best coin! It's also now my oldest silver. Hope you guys like it as much as I do.

Attachments

• photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    photo 3 copy 2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 127
  • photo 4 copy.JPG
    photo 4 copy.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 133

GrandBlancDig

Mar 26, 2015
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - 11" coil ~ TRX bullseye ~ Predatortools Intrepid ~ Predatortools Raptor ~ Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is why you do this, for finds like that! Great coinage and awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story and excellent find Mike (I found one of those about 10 yrs ago in a schoolyard (a high school)

although

that's not a "Spanish Reale"

it's a Mexico Libertad (referred to as a reale) but is not from spain

the "M" stamp AFTER the date is the "key" to it's origin (M = Mexico)

they were produced in several countries throughout the world ---

the ones from Spain (an 1832 true reale) has an Emperor on the obverse with the date stamped under the portrait and they have a coat of arms shield with a crown on top on the reverse with Lions and castles,

yours =

REPUBLICA MEXICANA above the Mexico Coat of Arms.

8 R D 1832 M 10D 20 G below Cap of Liberty inscribed LIBERTAD with rays radiating outwards.

still = a GREAT find and I bet the old heart was a pumping when you seen that in the hole!!

Last edited:

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored:!!! WOW! That's a big hunk of old silver Mike! Congrats big time! how big is that sucker in comparison to a Morgan?

OP
OP
Mike from MI

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:censored:!!! WOW! That's a big hunk of old silver Mike! Congrats big time! how big is that sucker in comparison to a Morgan?
​Hey Griff, a Morgan is 38.1mm and the 8 Reale is 38.9mm

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.............I entered it last night in the find of the month contest at our metal detecting club and it won best coin! .........

That's no surprise!

If it hadn't, I'd have moved to yo town and started detecting; obviously better than around here.

Good score!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding big old hunk of Silver!! :hello2:
Congratulations Mike!!

kkbroker

Oct 2, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Mike... you just never know... Congrats!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Wow excellent find. Whether its a Reale or a Libertad...amazing, especially for Michigan. Nice to know those kind of coins are in these lands as well. I would love to cross that coin off my list...now that I know it exists!!!

DH24

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Find on that Coin. You just proved there is hope for Michigan yet. Congratulations Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread