well its a large cent lol

fatsmahoney

May 3, 2007
great lakes
Detector(s) used
whites XLT-E- series
Found at home built in 1872 in Spring Lake Michigan Ive hunted this site before I found an 1877 Carson City dime and alot of shotgun caps I came back to this site when I noticed that an old oak tree about 4.5' in diameter had been cleared around by a brush hog before it was surrounded by bushes and thick poison ivynow it was fresh dirt so I began to detect around this tree starting at the base and circling out around it when I found an old brass rivet with the leather still attached continued to work this area with no more signals so headed off in another area as I was thinking there should have been more around a tree of that age so I went back and began to criss cross the area one direction and the on an angle the other direction about three times and I finally got a decent signal at a vdi of 43 then it went to 52 then to 64 and back and forth at about 7.5" out pops a green disc man did my heart start thumpin I slapped a little spittoon juice on it and read the date 1865 and then I seen the 2 cent
my first 2 center well albejiggerhumbled my persistance payed off so just a lesson if the area should produce and doesnt try going at it in a criss cross pattern Ive noticed that sometimes when you get a signal and it seems weak Ill try a turn of the coil at a different angle and the signal increases

Attachments

• 2 cent piece.JPG
    2 cent piece.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 256
  • 2cent piece 2.JPG
    2cent piece 2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 2 cent reverse.JPG
    2 cent reverse.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 234

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Awesome coin!!! I think those are pretty rare to find. Better than a large cent . . . There's got to be more old coins round that old tree.

Ian

Jim C.

Jun 23, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer (is there another brand)
Here are the two centers I have found over the years...

Been fortunate to find as many as I have. Old home sites are the best places to detect I'm telling ya.

Attachments

• 6of2.jpg
    6of2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 156

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's nothing to sneeze at...WTG!!!

It's a much better coin to find in your quest for a LC than clad would be.....congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions