Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hunted some woods near my house, was told people used to deer hunt in this area a lot before the town grew up.
Started finding a lot of old brass shotgun shells.
DSC03168.JPG
Then out pops a 1936 Buffalo Nickel, and then a 1910 V Nickel, and then a 1942 S "OD" Silver Nickel.
DSC03175.JPG
After finding the Buff and V I thought for sure I was going to find silver. Just didn't expect it to be a nickel.
Only found 3 nickels and they were all pre 1950's, and 3 pennies that were from the 1970's.
Makes me think this area was detected before, but i doubt it, because it would be really hard to get to by others.
Anyhow It was a strange day, my only old coins were 3 nickels, and they were all different issues...... and the most modern one is silver, or at least part silver.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that nickle trifecta. :occasion14: The V nickle has yet to dance under my coil.

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds BonePicker!
I think a lot of people discriminate out the mid tones (or whatever it is on the deus) to escape pull tabs, that is why nickels are still coming out of the ground.
That is a boatload of shotgun brass!
I still need to find a war nickel, buffalo, and shield nickel (I guess that would be a wishful trifecta)?

We talked the other day about shotgun headstamps and how they can date the detecting area (I prefer coins though)!
UMC Headstamps

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on that nickle trifecta. :occasion14: The V nickle has yet to dance under my coil.
Thanks Loco, seems nickels are about the only thing left at some of the parks and public places I hunt, as others have been there before me cherry-picking.

Cool finds BonePicker!
I think a lot of people discriminate out the mid tones (or whatever it is on the deus) to escape pull tabs, that is why nickels are still coming out of the ground.
That is a boatload of shotgun brass!
I still need to find a war nickel, buffalo, and shield nickel (I guess that would be a wishful trifecta)?

We talked the other day about shotgun headstamps and how they can date the detecting area (I prefer coins though)!
UMC Headstamps
Thanks Muerte. There wasn't a lot of good signals in the ground, so I decided to dig everything above iron. I probably could have avoided most of those shot-gun shells, but I was really hoping one would turn out to be an IHP. They sounded good and came in around 65-80 on 12Khz.
Ive found a lot of V's, Buffs, and War "OD" Nick's. Not really what im lookin for, but they sound so good. They come in around 50 when runnin 12Khz. Sometimes the OD nick comes in a little higher.
Have yet to find a shield or a 3 center.
I thought you would get a kick out of all the shotgun shells, since I remember you mentioned them and posted that link in one of your last threads.
Figured why not dig em and clean the area out some, and just maybe one is masking something good.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the Trifecta! Keep up the good work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread