Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Jun 2007
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Whites DFX
    5 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

1828 Matron Head Large Cent

I haven't hunted much this year with coming out of retirement to do a special project at my old employer. Several weeks ago I was able to hunt the sports complex (pic below taken last year) that had a lacrosse tournament earlier this month, so I thought I'd go out after it quit raining for a short hunt...try to get back into the "swing" of things. It was somewhat humid but the temperature was only in the mid 70s. I had my DFX set on a modified coin program. First I found a presidential dollar coin (Monroe), then some clad and a 10 cent Euro from Germany (only my second Euro). Near the concession building, a few yards from the sidewalk, I got a real clear tone, VDI of 86, six inched deep. Well, that certainly wasn't something lost recently. I dug down and as I pulled out the plug, I saw a large, green disc sitting in the bottom of the hole. Due to its size, my first thought...could this be a large cent? I pulled it out...sure enough, an 1828 Matron Head. This is my oldest coin yet...just beating the 1829 LC I found at this same complex 18 months ago. I couldn't believe it. I must have hunted this very area a half dozen times in the last 2 years. How could I miss it all those times? This is the third LC I have found in Ohio in the last 18 months. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0033.JPG 
Views:	387 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	23326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9966.JPG 
Views:	384 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	23327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	000_0033.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	312728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_9966.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	312729  

us
    Feb 2009
    NE Indiana
    1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Re: 1828 Matron Head Large Cent

Welcome back to detecting with a big BANG. WTG very nice find. HH.

michigan michael

Congrats on your LC! You found 3 of them? That is freaking sweet! Was there an old farm or homestead on that location in the past? Look like you found an excellent opportunity! Keep em coming!

Jun 2007
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Whites DFX
    5 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by MEMORIAL MAGNET
    Congrats on your LC! You found 3 of them? That is freaking sweet! Was there an old farm or homestead on that location in the past? Look like you found an excellent opportunity! Keep em coming!
    MM,
    It was a field of an old farm owned by a guy named Stokes in the latter half of the 1800s. He became a county commissioner in 1903. History records show he made "improvements" on the land and the map of 1875 showed a structure (house?) in the corner of the farm near the road and railroad tracks. The two LCs I found in the soccer fields were no where near the structure. I'm still doing more research to find out what happened in that area before 1850.
    Bill

Jun 2008

wow that is awsome

michigan michael

Quote Originally Posted by bedpanmoneyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MEMORIAL MAGNET
    MM,
    It was a field of an old farm owned by a guy named Stokes in the latter half of the 1800s. He became a county commissioner in 1903. History records show he made "improvements" on the land and the map of 1875 showed a structure (house?) in the corner of the farm near the road and railroad tracks. The two LCs I found in the soccer fields were no where near the structure. I'm still doing more research to find out what happened in that area before 1850.
    Bill
    Great research! Have you pulled anything from there since? hope it keeps producing for ya!

Sponsors