cache o pennies
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: cache o pennies

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

cache o' pennies

Or is it a stash? Anyway, first off THANK YOU SANDCREEK! I finally got to head off with my detector, and I had a good time. Back to bow season now, not as many hunters so I got to sneak out to the lease. I went to the bluff with a small cave, and several names of "Dawson" carved around early 1900's. Very cool place, detected on bluff above cave, nothing. Climbed, slid down to the cave. detectors are tougher than I thought, that's good. Found a penny, then an unfired bullet. I don't what kind, but the whole thing was there, not just the casing. Nothing in the cave.

By now, I'm having a blast! My first time out alone detecting, and my gosh it was fun. It's a tall, long sandstone bluff with ledges, nooks and crannies and undercuts all over it.

I climbed,fell down the next level, and then climbed up several feet, just 'cause it looked interesting. It was very fine, dry sand from the bluff eroding, and big enough for a few people to sit/sleep comfortably. It beeped, and there was a penny under the sand, then again, and again! There was a cavity in the wall inches above where I was finding them, and I thought to myself, I'd put a handful of money there. so I moved the detector into the hole and it beeped like crazy! I had to use my little trowel to dig up 6 more, 12 in all, from the seventies. Not earthshaking, I know, BUT, this was my first time really going out with my detector, and I never dreamed I'd find something like that. I'm sure a hunter put them there for fun, and I did have fun finding them. Besides, they have a lovely green patina. Also found a nice tree fossil underneath Louis Dawson's name. Can't wait to go back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree fossil.jpg 
Views:	1016 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	342590   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ls Dws.jpg 
Views:	1019 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	342591   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cache o pennies.jpg 
Views:	1033 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	342592   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cache o pennies2.jpg 
Views:	1030 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	342593  
    gazmuth likes this.

us
    Sep 2007
    Oklahoma
    White's Prizm III and Ace 250
    272 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: cache o' pennies

Yeah ! You finally got bit by the detecting bug, huh? I bet there's more to be found--it looks like that place was used by numerous people---maybe it was a meeting place? Does the land ever get burned off so you can see any remnants of old foundations near this place?
    Have you found any information on "Louis Dawson"? I'll have to look in my Osage County Profile book and see if she's in it for you.
    Keep us posted and I'm so happy you're using that detector!
    sandcreek~~
    "I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name". Isaiah 45:3

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

Yes I've been bitten! And bitten bad. I thought the tug to find one more piece of flint was strong. To walk just another twenty feet to that nice looking spot of dirt and gravel before I turn around to go home was bad. Now I just want to hear the MD beep again. I went back to the same spot and found one more penny I had missed previously. LOL I even passed the detector over the hole several times just in case... I wanted to hear the beep again! There will be deer hunters up there this weekend, so I have to stay away from there, but I'm gonna go somewhere and find something.

happy hunting!
    ng

us
    Apr 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    White's Spectrum XLT
    1 times
    Relic Hunting

There's something else written above the name. Looks like PAW or RAW, but that might just be part of a name. Have you been back? I sure would like a closer look at that rock.

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Carrot
    2045 times

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon
    There's something else written above the name. Looks like PAW or RAW, but that might just be part of a name. Have you been back? I sure would like a closer look at that rock.
    I see what you mean. Can anyone decipher it?

Then I see: LOU IS OK
    DAW SON
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAWSON.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	394284  
    Watch for Motorcycles

us
    Kerry

Jan 2009
    Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
    47 times

I don't think that is a U in louis Is looks more like a C or a G where part of it was chipped or damaged. Look right above the right side of the u and it looks like the top of a c or g.
    To the right of OK it looks like there is an L.

us
    Apr 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    White's Spectrum XLT
    1 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by krazyace
    I don't think that is a U in louis Is looks more like a C or a G where part of it was chipped or damaged. Look right above the right side of the u and it looks like the top of a c or g.
    To the right of OK it looks like there is an L.
    Note that the U looks different from the other letters. It's almost as if that was there as some sort of indicator and the rest was added to throw you off. Have you read Bob Brewer's book about the KGC? Apparently, they would use rocks or beech trees to mark an area, then they would bury an iron pointer that pointed toward the cache, like a pistol or rifle barrel or pointy piece of a plowshare, which they could find with a compass, used as a primitive metal detector. One of the symbols used, along with turkey tracks and hearts, was a horseshoe. Maybe the U is a horseshoe.

-Rock

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. The word above the name is Pawhuska, nearby town. The U is different from the other letters, I just figured that's the way he wrote, but it does look really different. This land is for sell now, and we may lose the lease soon, I would sure like to look one more time. I've had the metal detector up there all along the base of that bluff, but it's really so big, it's kinda daunting.

ng

us
    Apr 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    White's Spectrum XLT
    1 times
    Relic Hunting

You should pass the coil over the face of the bluff too. Sometimes they hid stuff by mudding it up in a hole in the rock.

us
    30 years in this addicting hobby.

Jan 2007
    Oklahoma
    CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus. USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
    205 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

cool

us
    May 2010
    Claremore OK
    White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
    159 times

Cool area... I would say that there are some caches hidden around there somewhere. Hope you get to hunt more before the land gets sold.
    God Bless...

us
    Sep 2010
    McKinney, Texas
    Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
    2 times

How old are the pennies you found there, the pic's a great but would like to see a closer view of the coins in ground or the info on them.

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    389 times

That "U" shape is actually a horseshoe or possibly a muleshoe. I would look around for more signs.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    Mar 2009
    379 times

Hi shortstack

I wish I could look more, but the land sold in June. Absolutly broke my heart. But I'm glad I at least got to roam around it for the 5 years we leased it. 1500 acres, sold for one and a half MILLION dollars!!! To a lawyer from Tulsa, who is retiring in his late forties. He's already made a lot of changes to land, and is going to build a house right on top of the bluff. I at least hope he's a history buff, and researches more than I got too. Now we have 700 acres leased closer to home and on a different creek. It's got some history, but not like the place we just lost.

us
    Sep 2010
    McKinney, Texas
    Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
    2 times

I suggest you contact the lawyer, and see if he will give you permission to continue your hunt of that area, explain to him what you have found, and he may let you return to site to investigate it more. Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links