Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Aug 2014
    East Coast
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Relic Hunting Spots in Pittsburgh?

I'm new to the hobby and would love to know some spots around Pittsburgh to relic hunt. I'm worried about places that aren't legal to hunt in! Any ideas?

Jun 2013
    4 times
    A lot of parks are open to metal detecting just check the rules some require a permit or permission from the park office. Other than that private land is the way to go get out and ask!

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10038 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    I hunt any and every park I come to. Barring a sign that says "no metal detectors" or barring an obvious historic sensitive monument.

But if you are skittish that some places might have a rule, look it up for yourself. Do not walk in asking some desk-bound park person: "Hi, can I metal detect?". Lest you find yourself the latest victim of this: "Sometimes no one cares UNTIL you ask". That is to say, there's been lots of parks, beaches, school-yards, etc... that were never a problem, and no actual rule existed that truly said "no metal detectors". But lo & behold, someone takes it upon themselves to go ask, and finds an arbitrary whimsical "no". Then the danger is, that that same person (who perhaps never gave it a moment's thought before your "pressing question"), will now start booting others.

So if you're skittish, look it up for yourself. Park rules, city ordinances, codes, etc.... are no secret. They can be looked up on-line for even small cities nowadays.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    311 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    The best places are old homes or where they once stood I would guess. Many are abandoned in some areas. What type of relics are you thinking of? What part of Pgh are you in as I'm in an eastern suburb?

Sponsored Links