Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike_of_Tenn
  • 1 Post By rocksnsilver

Thread: Rock hunting in Tennessee

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2012
    Butler, TN.
    117 times
    Rock,Gemstone,Fossil,etc...anything of interest that catches my eye..M.A.G.M.A Member

Rock hunting in Tennessee

Hello to all...I live in TN and have been collecting rocks of all kinds for years from many different states...My only problem now is finding things other than quartz..Does anyone know maybe where to search in NE TN...I am about 30 minutes away from Boone, NC to give an idea of my location...Any help is appreciated.

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    847 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking
    I would google Tenn. rock clubs. I know TN has some amazingly colorful agates. Mid state. I don't know anything about your location. Good luck.
    dancing in the fire!

us
    Oct 2012
    Butler, TN.
    117 times
    Rock,Gemstone,Fossil,etc...anything of interest that catches my eye..M.A.G.M.A Member
    Yes I have collected many agate...We have 2 clubs one sorta local and have searched everything to find rocks here in E TN other than red clay lol thanks

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    847 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking
    red clay. lovely stuff isn't it? is this where you are finding your crystals? the amazing crystals in Arkansas are in it.
    dancing in the fire!

us
    Oct 2012
    Butler, TN.
    117 times
    No luck finding anything in the red clay...I mostly find my rocks in the river that comes out of NC..and Watauga Lake...I have found a few "fossils" least that's what I was told...that were in the woods that surround our area...Only problem is having to watch where I hunt as most is Appalachian Trail and Cherokee forest.

us
    Nov 2008
    White Bluff, TN
    MineLab X-Terra 70
    4 times
    There is a pretty yellow mineral/element you can find around the Cherokee Forest! There is some agate here but I forget the location off hand. As the poster above said. Google TN rocks and minerals. There are a couple of great clubs! I found a few yesterday in a cave in middle TN that will now go into my aquariums. Just sold most my tumblers but do have some nice material left if your into that....But you are in gold country!

Mike
    TeAra likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    N. Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
    220 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Hi TeAra, I'm in northern middle Tennessee. Do you have quartz geodes where you are at? We find quite a few of those here. Not sure if there are any lakes near you, but I have had good luck with fossils (mainly crinoid stems and shells) by walking the shorelines of the local ones.

us
    Jun 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Troy Shadow X2
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Here is the link for gem and mineral clubs in north carolina... Contact the one closest to you and they could help you out.

Bob's Rock Shop:*North Carolina Gem and Mineral Clubs
    TeAra likes this.

us
    Oct 2012
    Butler, TN.
    117 times
    I have yet to find geodes...have not gave up searching tho...I mostly find quartz rocks and agates...have tons of them...I live near Watauga Lake...I can find a few deep black quartz there when the levels are low..I am closer to the NC border
    keep your eyes on the ground and pray you don't run into anything. I'm no expert nor do I claim to be. Just try to help out with what little I do know.

us
    Oct 2012
    Butler, TN.
    117 times
    The forest surrounds the area I live in but with the rules and laws I have to be careful where I search since most says not to take anything...Most of the local caves have already been cleaned out or are off limits around here which is sad cause I would be happy with just pictures of them...I found my agates on a construction job site my husband and I worked on as well as a few fossils which no one seems to know what kind...have yet to find gold but man when I do will let all know lol...what kind of materials do you have? Like I said I do not have many.
    keep your eyes on the ground and pray you don't run into anything. I'm no expert nor do I claim to be. Just try to help out with what little I do know.

Sponsors