Can anyone Help with this?

Feb 22, 2013
Anyone have any clue what this is. Its in the bend of the creek. Its about 4 ft inside. It also looks like there was a wall that fell coming out into the creek. And there are no burnt rocks inside it.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
image-1223370258.jpg

image-3350981994.jpg

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps something to dip water from when the creek was at a different level?:dontknow:

Any old building foundations nearby?

Very interesting.

OP
OP
diggitwithaspade
Feb 22, 2013
No sir but looking at it and if the creek did wash up to it then it was buried a good bit if it wasn't suppose to be. Because it looks like it had a wall that came out in the creek and washed away.

Sallysue

Oct 31, 2012
Tx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes you really think Never seen anything like it Maybe an ole well and over the years the creek moved that direction

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggitwithaspade
Feb 22, 2013
I thought about that but if u look close it gets real narrow at the top. I also noticed but didn't try to move any of them were the rocks on the bottom, to me it looks like there is a little bit of space between where the floor of the formation and the actual bottom of the formation. I am afraid of snakes even if it is winter .

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a barbeque to me

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
maybe the natives had fish fry's on friday nights

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the lining of an old well that close to the creek.There might have been a spring there at one time.I'd tale my metal detector over there and swing the coil around you never know what you might find.
P.S. greetings from Austin,Texas ,partner:thumbsup:

OP
OP
diggitwithaspade
Feb 22, 2013
Thank you for the tip produce guy . That is my plan. Maybe but if you really look at it I don't think there was another side to it. I think that opening on this side is suppose to be there due to the way the rocks are stacked . And the top opening gets small. Unless you meant that was the opening humm idk.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
someone might have been making a still and never finished it

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My vote would be a well and the stream moved closer. I think the root system of the nearby tree probably shifted the top of the stacked rocks so as to close up the opening and the rest washed away. I would for sure detect everywhere around this spot. Maybe some old maps might reference it?

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'd be in that water with my detector as well as in, around and all over the place just to see what may be associated with the site! It doesn't look like a well to me but I have found wells way back in the woods that were near creeks-within 20ft or so. Better do it quick before the snakes come out for real and new rains begin!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets look at this and think about a few things. 1. It could be a well but there are a couple of things that are not characteristic of wells. Wells aren't tapered as they go down. Remember someone had to dig this by hand . If it is a well and they took the trouble to stack these rocks inside it, why didn't they use mortar to hold them in place? 2. Why would you dig a well so close to a stream when you could just use water from the stream? Afterall , it appears to be the same depth as the stream right? If the stream is dry then so is the well. ..this is treasurenet so lets consider its use in a treasure meaning. What if someone buried something valuable about 5-10 feet from a stream intentionally. What if this was built so that it would be difficult to retrieve the contents? If you started at the top and worked your way down you would've had to remove every stone one by one as you worked your way down(considering that at the time this was constructed it wasn't open on the side the way it is now because time and erosion has washed out half of it). So, you have his hole filled full with stones next to a stream,. with something valuable in it. If you tunneled in from the side of the stream(remember, at the time it was constructed it was farther from the stream) and stacked the stones carefully horizontally so that if someone tried to pull them out from the side then it would create a trap because the stones that are stacked vertically would have collapsed. Therefore, this could be a carefully constructed treasure pit...ok, maybe not. Maybe some bored kids were playing with rocks a hundred years ago. Lol

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Interesting theory.....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a shrine of some sort? ,maybe some more pictures from different angles.Look down the creek to see if there's any more structures like this one or even the same type of rock.What does the bank on the other side look like?

Los Excavadores

Greenie
Mar 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Shrine , as soon as I saw the pic that popped in my head before I read the comments of other hunters :)

HooDoo

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Pro-Find 35, Go-Find 66
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is really an interesting structure! My first thought was maybe it was an unfinished damn of some sort. Or maybe one that was washed away and those are the remains? As Produce Guy asked, what does the other bank look like? Could you see any of the same stones in the creek itself?

Another thought, have you checked the history of the area? Could that be the remnants or maybe an unfinished attempt at constructing a small mill water wheel?

Sorry for all the questions but now my curiosity has the best of me! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread