Check those old sites thoroughly!

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I recently got permission to detect an old farmhouse that appears to be from the 30's or 40's. In fact, that's where I found the buried ammo can with a dead bird inside. Honestly, having found nothing very old, and little of anything to get excited about, I went back yesterday just to have something to do.

Right away I noticed that the landowner had mowed an area around some big old trees, and decided to check those out. Surprise! I found a super old well! In fact, it has a large tree growing through the side of it. I also found tons of very old iron relics. I think there was likely an older house that was gone before the 90's since it doesn't appear even on the oldest google earth images.

I have been on sites that contained two wells before-almost stumbled right into one in high grass with no wall! I guess maybe this could be one of those, but the finds seem so old. Admittedly, the type of finds are different-lots of large iron like rings, plow points, old leaf type springs.. More detecting is in order!

Here's the old house. Next pic I just turned around and pointed to the tree coming out of the well. Last speaks for itself..

image-4244735297.jpg

image-3010851566.jpg

image-3318109442.jpg

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat group of relics! Thanks for describing your outing, especially the caution about watching out for where the feet go. Between wells and critters, sounds like there's always something to stay alert about.

OP
OP
pyledriver

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've also found old wells in the woods and even on top of hills with nothing more than pasture grass to hide them. The one on the high hill is so hard to see I'd be willing to bet there are some skeletons of some sort at the bottom, animal that is. No metal detector that day, just my rifle...can't carry it all! Of course I'm working on that too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread