Need a detector for my grandson & I, thinking of a Fisher

chuckinnc

Aug 20, 2009
western,nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a detector for my grandson & I, thinking of a Fisher

Ive used alot of detectors back in the 70s & early 80s, I have a Fisher 660 gold detector that still works today so I like the quality. Now my 5yr old grandson wants to go coin hunting & I want something that discriminates good and has auto ground balance. I dont like the pre program/ push button/LCD screen type so I want something that looks like a 1270,1266,1236 maybe. PLEASE I have a few questions sense I have been away from the hobby for a long time.
1. Does any of the "state of the art" detectors have auto ground balance, good discr without all the
LDC screens & auto programs?
2. Like older detectors does any have no or slow motion, I was into detecting before motion
detectors came out, I read a review where it said the 1270 was a slow motion detector. Does this
mean it operates slower than say a 1266 or 1236 or older models?
3. On a different topic, I need to replace my old 660 mother lode detector with a gold bug 1 or 2
so does anyone know the main difference between the 1 & 2?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need a detector for my grandson & I, thinking of a Fisher

For your grandson I can't recommend the Fishers. They aren't the same company they were years ago since being bought by First Texas. Instead I would get him a Tesoro like the Cibola. It has a preset ground balance and you don't get automatic till you climb up in price. Hardly nobody makes slow motion on the less expensive detectors either but the motion is pretty slow. Some have a very slow all metal mode which is made for pinpointing too. I wish we could still switch to TR also. The Tesoro's all have Lifetime warranties which will help when he drops it. He might have more fun with a screen like a Ace 250 too as this can get him interested in the finding as it will be like a video game. Plus you might take it away from him for yourself. :laughing7:

I used to know the diff between the Gold Bug 1 and 2, but can't think of it now. You can check out the Garrett site. The newer gold detectors are way better than the 660 and lighter weight.

My grand daughter which is ten played with my 1235 till she found all the coins I had tossed on the grass and then handed me the detector and said, "I am done with this." She then went in the house to watch Sponge Bob, who ever the heck that is.

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009

My grand daughter which is ten played with my 1235 till she found all the coins I had tossed on the grass and then handed me the detector and said, "I am done with this." She then went in the house to watch Sponge Bob, who ever the heck that is.

Priceless! :wink: Yeah, I've been there myself. I tossed a bunch of coins out into the yard and had the whole gang of neighborhood kids over to find them. They each had a detector and were hunting happily for about 15 minutes. Then the whining started. Needless to say I still have a bunch of coins still out in the yard that they didn't have enough persistence to find. I'll leave them for another day. Kids get discouraged very quickly (as do most adults).

I have no info on the Fisher detectors. But for a five year old I would just go out and buy something like the Bounty Hunter Junior. It is a very nice little machine for about $49. You won't be using it as an adult but you also won't feel bad about throwing it into the closet when he gives up after 15 minutes. It is lightweight, easy to use, and has decent depth for such a small coil.

There are other "kiddie" detectors on the market but I think most of them are complete junk (stay away from the National Geographics detector).

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

Get him a 1265 or 66 fisher. Very easy to use and still finds stuff. It's funny that these detectors used to find tons of stuff and they are somewhat discounted today. A little heavy though.
Newt

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Grandson, beginner, Go Ace by Garrett, you turn it on and go...if he loses interest oh well, if not still a good investment easy to learn...I have used almost every detector out there...low learning curve...go used also.

Streak!

Mar 4, 2009
hard to belive this is a Fisher forum.

For the bux I dont believe you can beat a F2 for simplicity and performance. VERY easy to use...and wont challenge anyone no matter how young. you can pick em up most anywhere too.
The 1236 may be a good machine for him too if you prefer a legacy machine. Again, easy to use, priced right, and pretty powerful. I'll tell you though.................for a kid, a TID machine is probably the way to go. They love seeing that quarter icon lit up!! I'd opt for the F2 is it were ME and MY kid of grandkid. Heck...even a caveman can use it!! :thumbsup:
Streak!

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can vouch for the F2 i own one . Its the simplist detector and most fun to use out manny machines that ive tried. Its light great on coins has a very good id system and its 199.00 brand new. I have a Minelab quattro wich is alot of fun to youse and its like 4 times the price of the F2 and the F2 is just as fun and works really well for the money. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions