Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi All,
I've been running my very first detector (F75 Standard) for a little over a year now. I am most impressed with its' performance and have found many coins and 16 rings, all silver except for one gold. My question for you experienced gold finders, what VDI would you expect from a gold ring?
Almost all of my silver rings have ID'd in the penny range with some having a varying signal, say high 40's to high 60's, but, most of the time they will have a steady VDI and a few have been in the nickel range. All of this depending on size/shape.
The one gold ring hit a solid 48 bouncing with a solid 34, I found a few pieces of an old pie plate above it which created the 34's. I feel like I have probably passed over a number of gold rings that are hitting in the "tab" range or even "foil." So far, my F75 has been 100% correct on foil and tabs. I feel pretty certain that the response will be to "dig it all and the gold will come", but, there must be some indicator to help, no?

Thanks for any help.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings are alloyed with different metals to make them harder as gold is soft. These different metals will give different VDI numbers. Gold rings can ring up in the foil range, in pull tab and above too. But near 90% of them are in the pull tabs. Lay down a pull tab and a gold wedding ring and check it with the MD. The VDI numbers don't mean squat in the real world.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Gold rings are alloyed with different metals to make them harder as gold is soft. These different metals will give different VDI numbers. Gold rings can ring up in the foil range, in pull tab and above too. But near 90% of them are in the pull tabs. Lay down a pull tab and a gold wedding ring and check it with the MD. The VDI numbers don't mean squat in the real world.

Well, Sandman, you confirmed my expectations: Dig 'em all and the gold will come. Sure been pretty sparse so far!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sand is right. Gotta dig it all!

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
I have not tried my newly acquired F-75 yet, a little cold out. With the Tejon, foil, and pull tabs will not sound as well. There will be pops, and sharp noises, a ring will usually give a smoother sound. Try to utilize the sound more in your hunts, it may help with targets in that range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions