Fisher f2 coils

deadzoo

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2013
Santa Barbara, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the past three months or so I have been able to take my F2 out to play three to four days each week. I totally agree with digger27, the 4" sniper coil is my coil of choice 95% of the time. I discovered it`s superior detecting abilities purely by dumb luck, I needed to get into some really tight places that only the 4" coil would fit, after I was finished searching these confined spaces I just started swinging in the surrounding open area that I had already searched with the 8" coil and was amazed by how much more the 4" coil found. Like F2 Hunter 28146, I too would have loved to see my expression during this realization, I was looking around for a hidden camera and expecting Alan Funt to appear at any moment saying "Smile, your on Candid Camera you fell for the ole metal detector switch-a-roo gag". Of course I`m joking, but not by much I did actually turn the F2 over looking at it from every angle before fixating on the coil.
HH All!

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher F2 also for like a month now and it works great! I bought the 4 and 8 inch combo with Fisher pin pointer and I'm a very happy camper. I have used both coils and they do their jobs quite respectively! I do sense the 4" coil is a lot easier to use. Though it loses a tad bit of depth but I really see why they call it the sniper coil.So far I hunted local parks, a school and some early 1900's ruins. I live in the tropics so the soil tends to be quite humid most of the time and they say that's why it can go deeper. I'd love to get the 11"DD coil but I don't know, I guess time will tell. For now I'll still use the mighty F2 until I find some good stuff so that later on I guess I'll get the F5 or F70. Tough choice but let's see what happens later on! HH people!!!!!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher F2 also for like a month now and it works great! I bought the 4 and 8 inch combo with Fisher pin pointer and I'm a very happy camper. I have used both coils and they do their jobs quite respectively! I do sense the 4" coil is a lot easier to use. Though it loses a tad bit of depth but I really see why they call it the sniper coil.So far I hunted local parks, a school and some early 1900's ruins. I live in the tropics so the soil tends to be quite humid most of the time and they say that's why it can go deeper. I'd love to get the 11"DD coil but I don't know, I guess time will tell. For now I'll still use the mighty F2 until I find some good stuff so that later on I guess I'll get the F5 or F70. Tough choice but let's see what happens later on! HH people!!!!!

Its sometimes hard to believe it is that good especially with the sniper coil! If i could only afford 1 basic detector, the f2 would be it for sure.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F2, F5, and F70.

The F5 is a few more inches depth than the F2 and the F70 is a few more inches depth than the F5. Buy whatever you can afford, each increasing in cost.

I prefer the F5 interface.

In the summertime, I prefer the F2 because you can't dig very deep around here anyway this time of year.
:)

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the F2, F5, and F70.

The F5 is a few more inches depth than the F2 and the F70 is a few more inches depth than the F5. Buy whatever you can afford, each increasing in cost.

I prefer the F5 interface.

In the summertime, I prefer the F2 because you can't dig very deep around here anyway this time of year.

If that were the price point I was going for, the F2 would be my first choice. I use my minelab xterra 505 (which I love) most of the time, but the F2 is definitely alot of detector for the money, and mines not going anywhere!

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im thinking of getting the 11" DD coil for my F2. Possibly Ill get it in the next couple of weks or so. Ill keep u guys posted! In the meantime, HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got an f2 for my bday yesterday. Sounds like I should be putting on my 4"!!
Great thread, learned a bunch!

I actually just started up a You Tube channel and on it we use the Fisher F5 and F2. One of the shows we are going to do is a coil test on the 10" concentric coil and a 4" sniper coil. To my amazement the difference between the two was mind boggling.

:skullflag:

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In case anyone is interested. I made a You Tube channel called: Carolina Diggers

In this channel I just uploaded two NEW videos today. The first one is where I tested the 10" concentic coil and the 4" sniper coil on a Fisher F2 in ALL METAL mode and using SENSITIVITY 5. The second one is where I tested the Fisher "F-Point" Pin Pointer & the Garrett Pro Pointer.

Carolina Diggers - YouTube

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet! I was looking for that video of e 4in vs 10 in coil. Keep 'em coming!

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! I was looking for that video of e 4in vs 10 in coil. Keep 'em coming!

Yea... you should have saw the look on my face when my partner and I were out doing a bit of metal detecting. I had just swept an area an found a ring and a nickel. My partner came behind me and found like 3 minutes after I just finished that area 3 pennies and a dime. My F2 with the 10" (which I thought was an awesome coil mainly for it's size and area coverage) concentric coil just could not find the same targets she just found. And I really REALLY tried to find them.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea... you should have saw the look on my face when my partner and I were out doing a bit of metal detecting. I had just swept an area an found a ring and a nickel. My partner came behind me and found like 3 minutes after I just finished that area 3 pennies and a dime. My F2 with the 10" (which I thought was an awesome coil mainly for it's size and area coverage) concentric coil just could not find the same targets she just found. And I really REALLY tried to find them.

Yeah, I've heard a bunch of stories like that. But it's still incredible!

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a 11" DD yet. So I don't know if the 11" DD is any better, equal, or worse than the 4" sniper. But I hear people saying it's like getting a new detector when they purchase one for the F2.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. How about depth on each of those targets? Were they at the same depth?

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a 11" DD yet. So I don't know if the 11" DD is any better, equal, or worse than the 4" sniper. But I hear people saying it's like getting a new detector when they purchase one for the F2.

I've heard the same thing from people who have the 11in DD coil, but others have told me that I should save up for a better machine instead of parting with the money for the extra coil.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was me lol.

I recently got a 11DD for my F2. Yes it adds depth, but the F5 with stock coil is deeper.

And my F70 is deeper.

But depth isn't everything, I use my F2 in the summer because it is shallower than the others.

lol

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was me lol.

I recently got a 11DD for my F2. Yes it adds depth, but the F5 with stock coil is deeper.

And my F70 is deeper.

But depth isn't everything, I use my F2 in the summer because it is shallower than the others.

lol

Yeah lol
And the f2 is great in tot lots, except on super fine jewelry.

TheCaribbeanDigger

Aug 15, 2013
Puerto Rico
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For fine jewlery use the sniper coil. Its way more sensitive than the standard coil. Theres a video on youtube showing this.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For fine jewlery use the sniper coil. Its way more sensitive than the standard coil. Theres a video on youtube showing this.

Totally, but it still won't be as sensitive as a high frequency, adjustable threshold machine.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. A goldbugPro or G2 or ATgold will hit gold and smaller objects better. My GBpro isn't as deep as my F70 but it's fantastic on microscopic pieces of can slaw and shotgun pellets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread