Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed over the past few years that Fisher has been systematically updated all of its detectors, which is to be exepcted.

I guess the two oldest units in their lineup now are the CZ-3D and the Gold Bug 2.

If my research is correct, the Gold Bug 2 design is approaching 20 years old.

There is nothing wrong with that, but I see Fisher's new generation of Gold Bugs are coming out with lighter, digitized units.

I like the Gold Bug 2 because of its very high frequency and extreme sensitivity.

Is it reasonable to expect to see the Gold Bug 2 electronics in a Gold Bug Pro package one of these days?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the lineup is due for a change if for nor other reason that to generate interest in Fisher again.

OP
OP
Smudge

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. The new Gold Bug series has been out for awhile, but the GB2 has not been redesigned yet. I remember Dave J. saying that eventually parts for this machine are going to be difficult to manufacture due to its aging technology.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
True. The new Gold Bug series has been out for awhile, but the GB2 has not been redesigned yet. I remember Dave J. saying that eventually parts for this machine are going to be difficult to manufacture due to its aging technology.

The Fisher Gold Bug 2 is still one of if not the best single frequency gold machine out. Why change it? Its impressive on just how small a nugget it will hit.

ingram4868

Jan 16, 2014
Sparks, NV
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's Coinmaster, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Garrett-Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The field tests I have watched suggest that the GB Pro is not as effective with tiny or deep targets.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way I don't have anything against GB2 it was my first detector, and for the smallest of small it "may" be the best, but how small is small enough ?
IMG_1037.JPG

That is a 2 grain (not gram) piece worth about 5 dollars, there are a few detectors that get as much depth on this sized piece as GB2, with the added advantage of being much more versatile, with tones, and DISC, etc. Furthermore I don't buy into the "this freq. is good for this, and that freq. is good for that" anymore. After having used many detectors. I can tell anyone that a much lower freq. like AT Pro @ 15 Khz (with the smaller coil ) or even Omega @ 7.8 Khz (with stock coil) will hit that sized piece of gold as well as a GB2, all of those detectors get the same 3.5 to 4 inches on that piece of gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread