Metal Detecting

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used differant detector and all the same. Even the tone ID will be the same.if you turn your disc up to weed out pull tabs you will also weed out nickel ,& rings. i have found some nice buffalo nickel & rings just because other hunters didnt want to dig pull tabs. dig pull tab and your good ring will follow

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have not used a DD coil on the F2 but I have somewhere around 1000 hours using concentrics and have found plenty of gold with the F2..10 pieces in just 2013 alone.
Assuming that targets will behave similar using both kinds of coils,(and I do have plenty of experience using DD coils on other detectors so I do know how they work), here is what I can tell you about gold, nickels and tabs using the F2.

Lots of trash that is irregular in size like some foil, can slaw and tabs that are not laying perpendicular to the top of the ground and your coil will jump in the numbers pretty good.
No matter what I do or how I maneuver the coil around the area I just can't get those numbers to stay within only a two number jump...something I would consider a solid, diggable target.
Lots of trash like this will come in solid and stable and there is nothing you can do about that, but much of it will jump in the numbers and on the depth bars on the right side of the screen no matter what you do and after digging thousands of targets that do this I just stopped doing that because every time it has been trash.
I do realize that many dig good targets that jump a lot, but I never have and I think that is mostly because I do take some time to center targets under the coil and using quick short swipes examine them closely, something that others might not do.
Sometimes I turn and hit targets from a different angle and that calmed down the numbers to within my 2 number rule and dug them and a couple of times I have come up with gold.
How the object is laying in the ground and the direction you come at them will affect your readings...sometimes.

I can tell you that every gold target that I have ever dug, even the ones in the nickel and tab areas, have not been jumpy at all, came in solid in the tone and in the VDI numbers and did not jump more than 2 and the depth bars were also stable and did not jump and repeated from most angles.
Sorry to say lots of trash will act and behave in this exact same way and I do dig a lot of that solid, repeating stable trash, but not having x ray vision this is just something you have to do if you want to be in the gold business.

Also I have to mention that in the higher end coins like zinc or copper cents, dimes quarters and above the tones, VDI numbers and depth bars are usually stabe...but on nickels this is not always the case.
As you get lower in the discrimination areas it seems the F2 is not quite as sharp as it is on the high end for some reason and I have dug nickels all over the place in the past that were above and below my regular 33 number and even some that jumped more than my 2 number rule...but that is just something we need to understand and deal with.
The good thing is all gold targets and chans have never acted this way and were much more solid so I always dig targets like that no matter where they come in.

Again, there is a ton of trash that jumps no matter what you do and you can dig those if you want but after doing that for so long I have just come to the conclusion that unless it is deep, (on deep targets all bets are off and good ones can easily jump a lot), I am not digging those anymore and I have confidence I am not missing anything good although I do understand that you never really know until you dig it.

I dig so much trash already looking for gold that I had to draw a line in the sand and that stable, repeating, no more than a 2 number jump on my screen is it and I am fine with it and the what ifs never bother me anymore.

Keep in mind I have way more experience and hours in with the F2 and can probably do, understand and sense things that you cannot...yet.
Over time you will learn much more than you know now, and the F2 gets way better, more fun and productive as you learn.

I have written a ton about how the F2 works and have helped many get over the initial learning curve process a little faster to enable them to find great targets a little quicker so send me a PM and I can link you to this information.

Attachments

• F2 jewelry 2013.jpg
    F2 jewelry 2013.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Swamp digger

Greenie
Feb 2, 2014
Louisiana