Probably getting an F2......unless you tell me not to

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may have seen some of my other threads pestering people about getting my first detector. I have been looking a lot at the Fisher F2 with the DD coil, and also at the AT Pro. I realize the AT Pro is not a Fisher but this thread is geared more towards the Fisher. So does the F2 have any type of ground balancing? How important do you feel this feature is? Also don't be afraid to recommend something that may cost a little more. What are the main differences between the F2 and F4? As I mentioned I am pretty set on getting the DD coil but if any of you think it is not necessary let me know. Some other appealing things about the Fisher is I thought I read they have a 5 year warranty, and also very good customer service if you ever need any warranty work done. One other question is do you feel a pin pointer is necessary in addition to the detector? I will have to figure an extra 100-150 bucks into my budget if there is a resounding "Yes" on this question. Are there many options for the pin pointers? Thanks guys.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got done looking a little more into the F4 and that looks like a pretty solid machine too. F4 or save a little and go with the F2 with the DD coil?

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Bottlecap, wlcome. The F4 and the F2 are on the same platform with very little difference in features and both are very good entry level units. The F2 has some multi coil package deals that some others don't offer. One exception though is the F4 does have ground balance feature that functions in all medal mode only. No ground balance in discrimination mode like the F5 or F70 or F75 would have. The F4 is a capable machine that come with a 11"DD coil so may be what you are looking for. It depends on the amount you want to spend. The F5 would be bigger upgrade from the F2 and has both auto and manual ground balance. Garrett's ATpro is also a favorite of many. Garrett also has a very good customer relationship when it come to service and I wouldn't let the difference in warrantee scare me away from that choice. As far as pro pointer, I will say they are not necessary but I sure would not enjoy detecting nearly as much without one. You will dig many more target in a day using a pro pointer. Some of these targets are still very hard to see when still caked with dirt even when right in front of you in plain sight not to mention if your pinpointing accuracy is off a little and the target is off to the side of the hole a little. Hope this helps--------IB

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get off the pot and get a machine! Time's a wasting and there is booty to be found. Get the F2 and a Garrett Pro Pointer. You'll need a Lesche digger, some kneepads, gloves, and a finds bag to. OK, let's do this! :headbang:

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get off the pot and get a machine! Time's a wasting and there is booty to be found. Get the F2 and a Garrett Pro Pointer.
You'll need a Lesche digger, some kneepads, gloves, and a finds bag to. OK, let's do this! :headbang:
Was wondering when I was going to hear that! I'm in Minnesota so I don't think there is much of a chance of finding any treasure for another month at least, doesn't mean you won't catch me in the living room hiding quarters under a pile of pillows!

Hookedondetecting

Jul 18, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro COMPADRE and Mohave
ORX and Deus II
Fisher F 75 LTD "2"
Minelab 600
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your attitude. Just. So you know using a MR in a house is iffy. There can be allot of electrical interference and will make you think your unit is defective

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really enjoy detecting with an F2... I hope you will, too.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say, get what you can afford, and learn to use it, its a fun hobby!!! Best of luck!!

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You WILL NOT be disappointed in the F2. Most people who get one are surprised that it is such a great performing detector. 9" dimes are fairly common in my ground. I've even found 8" dimes with the tiny 4" coil! There is nothing better for the price, but be sure to spend the extra $15 and get the 2 coil package. The 4" coil is a deep killer in trash, and will find things that other detectors just can't find with a larger coil. Keep us posted! HH

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got the F2. No problems with it so far.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You WILL NOT be disappointed in the F2. Most people who get one are surprised that it is such a great performing detector. 9" dimes are fairly common in my ground. I've even found 8" dimes with the tiny 4" coil! There is nothing better for the price, but be sure to spend the extra $15 and get the 2 coil package. The 4" coil is a deep killer in trash, and will find things that other detectors just can't find with a larger coil. Keep us posted! HH
Where are you located? The deepest I can dig is 4-5" on a quarter

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The f2 is a great machine, fisher makes quality for sure, those f2's also have more options then some mid range level machines. I would look at what u want in a detector where ur goin,what ur looking for & see which one best fits those needs cuz when it comes down to it ur the one buying it & using it no one else. What works for 1 may not for another & no 2 spots are the same. Last thing you should try & factor into ur budget a pinpointer,decent digger,& a finds pouch all those are a must for a pinpointer there are many options, but if u can only afford a lower model hey it will still help u alot, I think.the f2 has a package with one also. Well good luck

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the F2 is what about $200 and the ATPro is about $600? I have an F2, F5, F70, and the GoldbugPro, the more money you got, the deeper it goes. Question for you is, how much is a few more inches worth? The ATPro is waterproof, not a feature I need.

My experience with my Fishers, F2 is pretty reliable to 6-8" on coins, while the F70 and GoldbugPro pushes 10-12" at times.

I believe the F2 is the hottest "inexpensive" detector you can get. It goes nuts sometimes on low batteries or if you're swinging in a lot of dew on the grass.

My last few detectors have been acquired used at great discounts to their new price. From time to time, Fisher/Teknetics had refurb factory units discounted. And I'm sure the dealers here will take care of you with a good used model.

I wanted a GoldBug, found a GoldBugPro used for less than half new.

A side note, I use my F2 a lot in the summertime, I'm not digging very deep in hard dry clay in 100 degree weather. But don't expect the F2 to work miracles if you hang a $150 coil on it, it just doesn't have the guts inside to match a higher tier machine.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are you located? The deepest I can dig is 4-5" on a quarter
Wow that's not good! What does it air test on a quarter? Mine hits about 8.5", but does generally does better in ground. Are you sure there are coins deeper than 4-5" where you dig? Do you detect with others who find deeper coins that the F2 can't get a signal on? I'm in SoCal about an hour from San Diego. The best depth I got was in moist ground at an elementary school. All clad or coppers. I run max on sensitivity and ZERO disc, leaving the low iron tone in. I have never found an older coin (yet) that was deeper than 5"-6" with any of my detectors. I actually found a copper penny with the F2 that buried the handle on my Lesche. The ground is decent at this school, the phase number is near 20 when ground balancing my X-terra 505 there. I also had an F2 almost 4 years ago, the one with the push-on coil connector. I admit I didn't learn it well before selling it, but my new F2 does seem deeper and less sensitive to EMI. I admit I haven't had the F2 to alot of places, mostly just 2 parks and the one school. It has been awesome for me though.

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that's not good! What does it air test on a quarter? Mine hits about 8.5", but does generally does better in ground. Are you sure there are coins deeper than 4-5" where you dig? Do you detect with others who find deeper coins that the F2 can't get a signal on? I'm in SoCal about an hour from San Diego. The best depth I got was in moist ground at an elementary school. All clad or coppers. I run max on sensitivity and ZERO disc, leaving the low iron tone in. I have never found an older coin (yet) that was deeper than 5"-6" with any of my detectors. I actually found a copper penny with the F2 that buried the handle on my Lesche. The ground is decent at this school, the phase number is near 20 when ground balancing my X-terra 505 there. I also had an F2 almost 4 years ago, the one with the push-on coil connector. I admit I didn't learn it well before selling it, but my new F2 does seem deeper and less sensitive to EMI. I admit I haven't had the F2 to alot of places, mostly just 2 parks and the one school. It has been awesome for me though.

Air tests at 5-6 inches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread