P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
minelab 4000,fisher gb2,f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did find some coins, but the trash sounds were not being eliminated.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tx for the info, I was using the 11", I"ll switch to the 5". and give that a try.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Dave says, Try running sensitivity down to 45-55, that should quiet things down. And make sure you do a ground balance. The F75 is very sensitive, and can be noisy if run too hot. Good targets should sound off well with these settings.

Good luck!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the f75

use the 5 inch coil.....lower sens.

or try discrim 15 with 70 sens

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Exactly what are those multiple settings you mentioned?
Just curious.

I have a new F70 and I am using the same 11" DD coil, I am also doing a ton of experimenting an all kinds of settings from real low to absolutely maxed out and I am learning a ton.
One thing I learned is you can make the thing real quiet and still hit some decently deep targets and of course all shallow ones if you set it right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
settings were, disc 15, sens 55, notch 1, freq 5,process 2h, 11"dd coil. there were so many signals it was difficult to pick out the coins. the only thing that was successfully discriminated were the nails. the pull tabs, aluminum, and caps were screamers. so I dug everything. I suppose the notch wasn't set right to help eliminate some of the unwanted trash. If I read the manual right the disc should be set higher than the notch to eliminate some of the unwanted trash? thanks for any suggestions. prospector007

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the F75, I have the F70. I am not an expert on ALL the different units on the market. However, I cut my teeth on the F70, which is almost identical to the 75.

My opinion, they chatter. No, forget that. If you don't have some chatter, you don't have it turned up enough. If I had a 'program' that made mine settle down, it would work for you. Unfortunately, I don't, and it's not like I didn't try.

My F70 seems to accept 'air born' EMI. If your in an area with cell towers, wifi, garage door openers, etc... you need to accept some noise, or turn it down. However, when your away from all that BS, you can really crank it up! And they are surprising powerful.

My best method was 2 parts. Depending on location, I started low and worked up. Adjust senc +2 +3, threshold never more than 1. You have to adjust, then swing,adjust and swing more. They HATE to be static! The more EMI you have, the more you need to use delta pitch and headphones. This will compensate for reductions in power.

This may not sound reassuring, however, I love my F70. Everyone knows target ID's are inaccurate. Well, except for people that never used a Fisher. I can tell the difference between a dime, silver dime, quarter and silver quarter...wheat penny, zincoln, screw cap, canslaw...all of it! That's by sound AND target ID. I don't think it's just experience, I belive the Fisher has a very accurate ID.

This is just my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree and even tell me I'm wrong! If you can get used to some chatter, and learn that unit, I'm confident you'll love it.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tx for the help, I like the detector. Were I was there was no emi, cell phones don't work, no signal. I was trying to eliminate the trash sounds. coin/relic machines are very different than the gold detectors. I believe I need more hours and learn the detector, experiment with the settings. When I figure it out I will share my results. tx for every ones thoughts.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum pieces sound good on all machines, as they ring just about anywhere on the conductive scale depending on its size and thickness. Sometimes its just best to dig them and get them out of the way, which allows you to hear the good targets. :)

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the sounds are a little diffrent than what I'm use too. more expermintation is needed. tx for the imput.

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pf mode, sens 40-99 , disc 15, notch 4-5, # of tones 4 or 4h,, ground ballance every 10 min. then Start with sens. low and and turn up till it isn't stable then turn it back a little,, test with large iron nails inline coins,, change direction of the nails and change your swing direction wile testing, listen for the blip on the backside of the growl, move coin farther away from nail retest,,,,, stay away from all power lines and your friends,, the pf mode is a little quiter,,

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the help , I've been doing a small test area in the back yard with a nail, aluminum, nickel, dime, penny, quarter. finding the settings you describe are quieter than what I've been using. went hunting and did find .95 in clad. the settings were much quieter.de and je modes are noisy. still learning the machine.

OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
f75 pa hunter, do you find freq1 works better than any of the other frequentcies ? seems to be quieter for me.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Check this out...I have been using this at some severe trashy areas because I am too lazy to change the coil to a sniper and I am plucking some very nice coins out of total trash pits this way using the 11" DD coil.

This is with the F70 but I assume it will work the same on the F75.
Both of these things are just superpowered out of the factory so unless you are looking for crazy deep targets, (something I rarely do in trash heaps), try it and see what happens.
Keep in mind my soil is close to perfect, I GB in the low 40's to the mid 50's most of the time and usually only 1 bar on the dirt meter, if that, so adjust accordingly for your soil conditions.

I recently picked up a dime at a measured 5" on a sense setting of 19.
At 30 sense I gained 2 inches, at 40 sense 2 more inches.
Disc was at 4 but in really trashy areas I usually raise it to 23 to get rid of most small foil and those stupid foil bottle cap inserts and at these settings there seemed to be no change in depth using either range of disc.
Remember your unit will get a slight boost at disc settings below 5 and past 20 and a bit more noise might come in, or maybe not...all sites are different.
On this dime thresh at 0 or -1 could still pick up the dime, at -2 it was gone.
Once I got below 23 on the sense the tone still was solid and repeated but it changed into something else, like half the tonal qualities went away.
By switching from DE to SL, (boost on the F75), all tone qualities came back and were full and solid again and if you ever did this using the F75 you have tone adjust which could be an extra added and nice feature in this case.
Usually switching to SL on mine at much higher settings I get way more noise...at these settings, even in SL, I was totally silent.

That is just to give you an idea on how powerful these things really are so you can turn them down with confidence and maybe still get the targets you want at depths you want to reach without higher crazy noisy settings.

The setting YOU might want to try using the 11" DD are these which are turning out to be very comfortable and confident settings for me looking for great targets in the trashiest sites even with crazy high EMI.

Sense at 30
Thresh somewhere between -1 and 1...higher if possible with no extra noise.
disc at whatever you want but in those heavy foil sites the mid 20's somewhere...get too much past the high 20's and you could knock out nickels and maybe some pretty nice size gold.
Any disc past low iron you could knock out silver chains, small gold chains, smaller gold rings too, but you will have much less noise and less signals the higher you turn up the disc.
Speed on DE, boost if it stays quiet.
Notch I always keep at 1.
Tones, your choice, but I like 4H to make those nickel/gold signals stand out.
2F is rumored to be one of the best and quietest around heavy EMI, but at these ultra low settings you shouldn't be bothered by that too much.

The key to this 30 sense setting is it seems to have the effect of actually reducing that large scanning field to a very precise, surgical type instrument.
Not sure exactly what happens here, but it is almost like my coil went from that big DD to a sniper size coil.

At this point just move that coil slow and listen and watch the screen.
You will still be hit with many, many signals, but they will be real signals of all the trash you did not disc out and all the good numbers and tones of the best targets should show up too if you stay alert.

Using this method at the busy entrance of a very popular over 100 year old park, and when I say severe amount of trash this is a textbook case, and also with a stupid crazy amount of EMI due to a power line and several homes with wifi just across the street and who knows what else, my F70 was still ultra quiet with only a few false signals here and there...something I have just learned to recognize and ignore.
In this site utilizing these settings I have still been able to easily and effortlessly pick out several zinc cents, copper cents, 2 nickels, a few dimes and one very nice Merc that I believe was actually standing vertical in the soil about 4-5" deep...all while digging very little trash.
There are a ton of new and old pop tops here as well, but they are usually a little jumpy and even the ones that aren't by rimming the front edge of the coil over these those targets usually drop to low numbers, into iron at 11 lots of the time, so you can tell what these are about 98% of the time.
I have found on a large amount of irregular shaped trash, and most poptops that are not laying horizontal in the soil, the numbers will jump 3 or more no matter how I maneuver that coil around or over them...and believe me I really try.
Your choice, but in my case I have a rule that I rarly dig anything that jumps more than 2 numbers and that is a rule works for me.
All targets, trash areas or not, are dug if they have a solid tone and the numbers don't jump more than 2...I have been a gold hunter a long time and they always came in solid using my 2 number jump on shallow targets.

I have used these same settings at other trashy picnic pavilion sites and they worked just the same.

I am also using maxed out settings at disc and in all metal and I am practicing my ability to pick out the good targets that way but I have a lot of experience with some very noisy units in the past and it isn't all that hard for me and I am getting better with practice.

With powerful units like these, start out with low settings and gradually move up into the higher ranges as you get more comfortable..a much easier way to learn.
I don't care how long you have driven, get into a race car with far more power than you are used to and such different handling characteristics you would be lucky not to crash into a wall with little or no experience, and you would be noway close to a pro in expertise.

Try the lower settings and see how you do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

prospect007

Mar 16, 2014
western us
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks digger, i'll giv'em a try. the machine noise is now minimal, it's those unwanted trashy signals that's a pain. I did have it accidently set wrong and was missing the nickels, I found that the notch was set wrong. on the f75 the notch works in reverse of the discriminator. there are so many nails at the picnic area that I've been trying to learn the detector in, that the iron meter is almost always pegged. (near camp fire area). my next venture is to get permission to hunt the old drive in theatre, i'm sure it's never been hunted. there's not too many people that has detectors around here. so far I've found $1.80 in clad, having fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread