I hate zinc

SavageHunter

May 29, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely! I found an 18k gold ring which rang up as a crusty zinc. I dig all zinc signals. I know it can be a hassle to dig those pesky zinc signals, but if you don't, you will definitely miss some good stuff.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of discriminating out zinc. I get so many zincoln lincolns that I am sore at the end of the day. If I do, will I be passing up any nice targets?

How are you going to due this or what machine?

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While not common, this cache rang up as a penny:

image-65460525.jpg

You bet I dig all Penny signals!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Their not "zincoln Lincoln's "
They are called STINKIN LINCOLN'S !!
Lol
HH

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of discriminating out zinc. I get so many zincoln lincolns that I am sore at the end of the day. If I do, will I be passing up any nice targets?

At the end of the day, it's called "metal detecting."
If you're going to eliminate metals, and not recover what's been detected, what have you got?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a few things Ive dug that read 76 on my AT pro...76 is a zincoln....old tokens, 1911 Canadian large cent, silver rings. I still leave them sometimes like when I have limited time to hunt or there are lots of them but I don't like leaving them.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the machine I'm swinging. With my FT machines, I (usually) dig em because zinc signals don't seem to "break up" like they do on my ATP. But if I hear any scratchiness, nope! They're staying in the ground!

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel like as I get better at detecting, learning the language of my machine, that I will learn the skills that will tell me what is a good signal and what is not. To tell what is a penny and what is something better. I may be deluded and may have to realize that if I want the good stuff I will have to dig trash because technology is not up to telling me the difference between a zinc penny and a gold ring. I guess that is where instinct and experience pays off.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like as I get better at detecting, learning the language of my machine, that I will learn the skills that will tell me what is a good signal and what is not. To tell what is a penny and what is something better. I may be deluded and may have to realize that if I want the good stuff I will have to dig trash because technology is not up to telling me the difference between a zinc penny and a gold ring. I guess that is where instinct and experience pays off.
You will have to dig trash to dig gold...no way around it.

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My F70 with the 10" elliptical coil have become very good at telling the difference between a stinkin zincoln and a pre 1984 penny. Nearly all pre1984's will be solid and sweet and try to pass themselves off as a clad dime at 72 or 73. Zincolns on the other hand, will start out low at 66 or 67 VDI. Then, after pinpointing and getting right over top of center may begin falsing all the way up to a clad dime, a 71 to 73 if they are corroded enough. Sometimes they actually jump from a mid tone to a high tone in 4H tones. I have not found gold yet but small silver charms and many tokens sound more like a pre 1984 penny than a zincoln. Hope this helps-------IB

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sell the F2 on ebay and get you an F75LTD. In all metal mode, dig all deep targets. I've never dug a zinc penny a foot deep....

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....I may be deluded and may have to realize that if I want the good stuff I will have to dig trash because technology is not up to telling me the difference between a zinc penny and a gold ring...
Correct-a-mundo!

The technology you refer to is based on the science of electrophysics. The laws governing this science are immutable; they do not change and cannot be bypassed.

Detectors can ONLY give an approximation of a buried items conductivity. Very often, it is a close approximation. That's good. Discrimination technique has come a long way from the old days - take my word on that.
But, thanks to about a zillion different variables, it can also be imprecise.
Thats not so good.

Fortunately and for the most part, ztincers are generally identifiable by their depth, location and conductivity. So take heart.

TIP: Get to know the TRASH in a specific spot, or type of general location. This will make your confidence increase. Put another way, it's as important to understand the trash, as much as the instrument used to find it. :thumbsup:
NOTE: I'm deliberately removing the detector from the equation here, because it is only a tool to measure conductivity, nothing more.

Case in point, I have found class rings, large men's rings and once, an entire dental bridge piece of 18k gold, each of which had the conductivity of a zinc cent...

There is a positive in learning to be a 'trash guru' - there is NO immutable law that says you must dig targets that conduct like ztincers. You are free to pass them up. It's your choice.

This is is very liberating

You play the odds when doing so, that's all. So learn THE ODDS and how they apply and you will improve. For a little deeper understanding of this concept, see my signature line.

HH
David

Last edited:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To dig or not to dig zincs depends on the site you are hunting. Old sites = yes, new sites = no. Last December I got a zinc penny reading at 4 inches. I was hunting an old site when I dug out this "zinc penny" reading....
A Seated Half Dime!

Attachments

• seated half dime 001.JPG
    seated half dime 001.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 85
  • seated half dime 002.JPG
    seated half dime 002.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks so much for the info and advice! Just got my replacement detector from Kellyco and I love it. A brand new F2 with 11" DD coil. But now I feel like I am learning all over again. Pinpointing especially as I was used to using the 8" coil.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for the info and advice! Just got my replacement detector from Kellyco and I love it. A brand new F2 with 11" DD coil. But now I feel like I am learning all over again. Pinpointing especially as I was used to using the 8" coil.
Those DD coils pinpoint off the ends. Think of them as having a detecting "hot strip" down the middle. I always put a colored mark at each end to help visualize this.

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have so far found that you can center it by pinpointing. When you get the lowest reading the target is just before the coil meeting the post. I have seen the other way too. Center then pull or push until signal falls off then it will be at the tip or heel of your coil. Thanks!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years back I began passing up Zincs. Read on one of the forums that sometimes small jewelry comes in at the same range so I began digging them again. Turns out the second zinc signal I had on that hunt turned out to be small, black hills gold ring. Even though I hate them almost as much as tabs, I dig them nearly all the time now, just in case.
luvsdux

OP
OP
mikeraydj

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: