bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on Findmall, back on June 22 of 2008. Cool to see that the method is still being used to this day ....

Re: Took F75 to friends established coin garden...8 Years buried measured items
Posted by: bottlebum [ Send a Message ]
Date: June 22, 2008 10:19PM

Thanks for the informative post Elton
thumbup.gif

One thing I've noticed is that when I work a good signal by pulling the coil back towards myself, if it is a bottlecap, I will hear a slight growl as the coil just leaves the target. I have noticed this on just about every one that I have encountered and that is alot of them.
veryangry.gif

Thought it might help.

HH, bottlebum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2008 10:21PM by bottlebum.

Re: Thank you for the nice tip..let me make sure I understand it correctly
Date: June 23, 2008 08:49AM

Correct but I am not using the pinpoint feature of the detector. Sometimes it is a real faint growl but always seems to occur and happens just before the coil loses the target.

I'm curious to see if you get the same results.

Reply Quote Report

Thought I should also mention that I am not only pulling the coil towards me but also swinging it....
Date: June 23, 2008 09:05AM

side to side in short, quick swings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2008 09:06AM by bottlebum.

Reply Quote Report

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps and other small bits of metal like foil in the ground can combine into one target. Also detectors read size and any round object will give a good signal. The F75 will correctly id bottle caps by pumping the coil. Other detectors have lil tricks like this too. The question is, do you let bottlecap mask a good target?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Get a Minelab FSB and you will never dig an old steel cap,they are discriminated out.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottle caps and other small bits of metal like foil in the ground can combine into one target. Also detectors read size and any round object will give a good signal. The F75 will correctly id bottle caps by pumping the coil. Other detectors have lil tricks like this too. The question is, do you let bottlecap mask a good target?

Same w-BBS.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a Minelab FSB and you will never dig an old steel cap,they are discriminated out.

Steel caps are easy. Aluminum caps not so much.

My Minelab DD LOVES aluminum bottle caps. It specializes in finding them.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well to each his own. Bottle caps could be masking a good target. I have found nothing special about FBS technology and still think my F75 is better than my etrac. But the etrac has a good track record for older deep silver in this area. I still see any detector I own with the right coil and setting having enough coil wrap to punch through iron and nails. I think there is some misconception about the fbs technology and the 10 different programs available to the etrac. I need a lot more practice with it. Im not putting any detector down, dont take it that way. I really dont know which one to use most days. But today it was wet, so the AT Pro won out. I prefer my small coils due to trash and sensitivity. Just wanted to add that coil selection is probably more important than the detector you use. But yes, you could disc out bottle caps. Try running max disc or zero to no sensitivity, can your detector still hunt? Since the etrac is constantly scanning picking the best of 3 freqs it may have a edge on some hunts. But I detune my detectors on purpose some days for different results.

I would also like to add, if I dont find bottle caps, I know someone else has already hunted the spot. This lets me go deep, or fast. I really like to switch between search modes. Most detectors will let you do this on the fly. I dug several signals today I thought was a pull tab and found nickles instead. I dug bottle cap signals and brought up bracelet charms. But if your finding a lot of bottle caps, well I just dont hunt those places, I hunt the edges. Hope this helps.

TrippinBilly

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an old thread but wanted to say it really helped me out today. I read it last night and today I just happened to hit a park that was infested with bottle caps. The technique that worked best for me (F75) was to pump the coil and listen for a grunt. I still dug a ton of targets to verify and they were always a bottle cap if the signal was solid and the pump produced a grunt.

I wasn't able to get the rimming technique to work, using the stock 7x11 coil. Nor the cross and lift/sweep. I'll have to try the pinpoint technique to see if that works.

I finally abandoned the table area that was just infested with bottle caps and decided to sweep either side of the sidewalk path (grass on both sides). I was able to pull a few clad coins. It was very helpful to use the pump idea, though. I have confidence that it seems to work, after digging nearly 70 bottle caps -- mostly to verify the pump-n-grunt worked.

Any ideas to sort out those pesky pull tabs? I always dig them because I'm afraid I'll miss something good.

Last edited:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had once the Fisher Goldbug Pro DP and i sold this detector for the bottlecaps. They id'd as coins and are almost imossible to disc out and not loose the coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread