Is a F5 a F2 with knobs?

Jeffsh

Greenie
Dec 28, 2014
Sacramento, califor
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, XLt, Mxt, GM3 garrett Ace 250 and 350, Fisher F2,f5, Gold bug 2, Minela Sovereign, exploxer ii, Excalibur experience. I use the Fisher F5 and F2.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little suggestion, I have had the Fisher F5 for less than a year, just got the NEL hunter coil, to replace the 10" concentric coil. I have been finding dimes to 9" deep with the NEL coil. Listen for faint targets that repeat on passing back over the signal, turn up the gain, and then pp. I use the technique to get a better position on the signal, depending on ground condition and trash. I own a Fisher f2 as a back up, great machine, just have to watch how far you turn the sensitivity up, and have found coins at 6" deep with it on the 8" coil. Good luck hunting and great choice.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I am going to the F5 so quickly, was because I did not see a dramatic performance increase with the upgrade. As I have mentioned before the ability to ground balance is very important with my soil as there is a lot of mineralization, EMI and almost impossible to get a accurate target ID unless it was very close to the surface. All metal for prospecting is another feature I have found I want. The addition of a DD coil really didn't address any of those issues I was having. I found that my bounty hunter was more accurate, why I don't know. So I am going to give Fisher and the F5 another try and see if I get better results. I know that learning how to use the tool is as important as the detector. I just want to know I have the best tool I can afford to learn on.

Hunting by target ID is not the best way to go IMO. Listen for the clear repeatable tones that represent the conductivity(ies) of the targets you are looking for. VID is a best guess and could fluctuate dramatically, depending on ground conditions, proximity to adjacent targets, coins on their side, etc... a gold necklace won't look like a coin necessarily & may fluctuate. If you are DEPENDING on VID, you will surely be missing good targets! The F2 is a killer for the price, I'm on my second one. You just cant trust ANY display entirely, (some are more accurate than others) regardless of the price of the detector.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like my F2, especially with the NEL Sharpshooter on it. But I am finding that my Quick Draw Pro out performs it in all areas, especially depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread