Any help with f70 just ordered one

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Xp deus ,minelab safari, whites mx5, fisher f70 ,Garrett at pro, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased a new fisher f70 from Bart at bigboyshobbies and was hoping some of u fisher guys could share a few pointers from somebody coming from a slooow safari lol I've been researching it and downloaded the manual and have done read it a couple of times and watched all the videos I could find any help with best settings for depth and what to expect would be appreciated thanks all GL and HH

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could, anxious to hear everyone's input. I hear it is among the most overlooked machine out there. Every bit the performance of the F75 and T2 minus a few bells and whistles.

OP
OP
Msdigger22

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could, anxious to hear everyone's input. I hear it is among the most overlooked machine out there. Every bit the performance of the F75 and T2 minus a few bells and whistles.
It was a spur of the moment purchase I sold one of my ar 15s and thought I would buy a back up detector and I've had minelabs and Garretts and I wanted to try a fisher so I bought this one without a second thought lol

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just purchased a new fisher f70 from Bart at bigboyshobbies and was hoping some of u fisher guys could share a few pointers from somebody coming from a slooow safari lol I've been researching it and downloaded the manual and have done read it a couple of times and watched all the videos I could find any help with best settings for depth and what to expect would be appreciated thanks all GL and HH

Welcome the F70 world. You will either love the 70 or hate it. Seems to be the case. They are wicked hot and come off as being quite chatty. Super fast recovery coupled with being very sensitive actually turn a lot of people off and they give up on them before they can learn them.

Do not be afraid to turn this beast down a bit while learning its language. They have two programs that are saved in memory at startup so you can use program 2 in auto tune (all metal) for ground balancing and easy access to help unravel some of the more cluttered up combinations. My settings vary somewhat depending on the different ground but generally I start out around 0 to 4 discrimination, 60 sensitivity, 4h tones for the high nickel tones. I like the delta pitch as well but my tinnitus makes it hard to hear the nickels in the 28 to 32 TID range as mid tones. Threshold I like around 0 for fairly clean areas. In very trashy areas I will set as low as -3 threshold and as low as 30 sensitivity and have still been able to hit a silver dime at 5".

Be careful not to select any notch if you use discrimination. Selecting a notch, for example iron (which is 0 to 15 in the TID range) after you have discriminated it out will in fact select it back in. You will see when you increase discrimination as you go up through the numbers the icons on the metal types will auto fill so selecting them as a notch will in fact bring them back into the picture. I like low discrimination since I like to hear the Iron because the F70 is such a hard hitter on high tones you will be able to associate the non repeatable high tones as rust that is very common with iron targets. There are lots of 70 swingers here and at findmall to help you out. Digger 27 here at this site has a vast knowledge on two F series units that will also point you in the right direction. Hope this helps---------IB

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Vast knowledge with the F2, I was hoping all the language I learned would transfer right over and I am thrilled that it did.
Much more to learn, however, there is an almost unlimited combination of settings you can use, plus 2 completely different programs you can set up and use at the same time while switching back and forth.

I am the kind that experiments all the time, I have used suggested settings and many of my own and they all seem to work, but some are more optimum than others.
The fact is, by using different settings this thing can be several different detectors in one...a precise and laser like trash hunter or a large area hunter to a deep seeker.

The deepest coil will be the big F75 DD coil, but the standard elliptical is no slouch, and sensitive too.
I found silver jewelry on my first hunt with that one, gold within 10 hours of getting it in my hands for the first time.
I have dug Indian heads easily at 8" with good ID's with that coil too, and other targets at 10" but at that depth there was no info on the screen, just tones, so learning both is important on this one.

When you start it up it is on 2/3's power and should be pretty quiet, but if you want it quieter in case you get chatter just turn it down more...don't worry about the depth at all because this thing is way overpowered.
Chatter is actually a part of this things language and some hate that if they turn it up high like I usually do, but many never understand this and get rid of them quickly because they believe you won't get depth unless you turn it up.
Don't you believe that, start out on lower sense settings and keep the threshold at 0 or even into the negative numbers like -3 at standard when you first start learning, there is plenty of time to slowly learn to hunt as you turn it up if you want to do that, eventually.
It took time but my most common settings are usually hotter than hot and I get a large amount of noise usually but learned to deal with it well and ignore it and only concentrate on the good signals.
Owners that take the time to learn this thing all come to the realization that no matter what is happening on the screen or in the tones on even the highest power setting with a ton of noise, this thing will stop and tell you when you are swinging over something good every time once you learn that language.
You don't have to turn it up high, and give it time and you will find the right settings for you.
Just try the start up settings for now, a little less if you want to and start learning.
Many different tone settings so try them all and see which ones you like the most, all of us are different.

As you advance there is a huge amount of info we can pass on but it will blow your mind if we give it all to you now, some is very scientific and specific, as you get comfortable with this thing we will dole it out.

I have been swinging mine since the beginning of last December, on almost every hunt my jaw drops when I see and realize one by one all the things it can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Msdigger22

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and I doubt I will hate it I have to tone back the safari every now and then it wants to act crazy in some places I defiantly won't hate it for nearly 600 only one I kinda hated was the bell tones of the ace 350

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing we should point out MS is when you look for the factory startup settings, you won't find them on startup after you've used the F70 once since all your settings are saved in memory when you turn it off. To get back to factory startup settings you will need to do a factory reset or manually set them back there. ----------IB

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Enjoy it Sir!

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could you please report back to this thread and let us know how it is going with your new F70 ? I am in the market for one.

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is like the F75....a little disc and a lower sensitivity will go a long ways in making the machine less chatty and smoother ooperating. A slightly positiive GB also helps...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Could you please report back to this thread and let us know how it is going with your new F70 ? I am in the market for one.

For you and the OP.
I got mine the day after Thanksgiving last year.
I was shut down due to the winter freeze for a couple of months and I have had way less time to hunt this year compared to previous seasons.
I messed around experimenting with the thing for the first few months, not as much digging as usual but that is how I learn.
My clad and finds totals were not huge, but as I settled down with a few favorite settings and just hunted they started to increase.
Over $150 in clad so far, a huge amount of very cool things in the treasure pile including some old lighters, watches, my first Buff and war nickel, and too many other things to list or show here, but this will give you an idea of a few of my "greatest hits" so far in just 7 1/2 months with this thing.
I still consider myself a newb with it, too, it surprises me on just about every hunt and I learn something new every time I go out.
The future looks bright and I have high hopes if I can do this in just my first limited season with it.

Attachments

• F70 finds.jpg
    F70 finds.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest running it at 50% or less gain even, no discrimination and dig everything for a while.

Btw, a quart Ziploc bag over it keeps it clean and dry...
:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread