flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm considering buying a new CZ-21, but I've had some concerns about support and reliability.

Any recent experiences to help me make a decision? I just don't want to dump $1500+ on a detector which will be unrepairable should I suffer leaks after warranty expires. I need to know my hard earned dollars are not going to waste!

Thanks

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? care to give some references for these reports?

the CZ-21 has a reputation for being pretty robust as far as I have heard.

you are shopping for a used one. Basically not a good idea for any submersible detector.

a leak in salt water is usually a death sentence.

even a " check up" on a submersible detector tends to be costly out of warranty since re-sealing and pressure testing are required.

Again, I'd like to hear what your sources for this bad feedback regarding Fisher's warranty support (which is generally highly regarded) are?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally speaking the CZ-21 is the toughest, most leakproof VLF detector made when comparing the top 3 machines people use for saltwater detecting (Cz-21, Excal and CTX).

As far as Fishers service I have only dealt with them one time with an issue I was having with a CZ-5 that I purchased used. They treated me very well and actually did the repairs and calibration at N/C. I am not saying this is the norm but I was well satisfied with the way Felix has treated me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As far as Fishers service I have only dealt with them one time with an issue I was having with a CZ-5 that I purchased used. They treated me very well and actually did the repairs and calibration at N/C. I am not saying this is the norm but I was well satisfied with the way Felix has treated me.

Recently, I e-mailed Fisher asking if they could restore my 1260X and they responded positively and promptly on this 32 year old "relic" of a machine. That's not a lot to crow about in itself, but with their response I felt they are still the real deal. The ball's in my court now.

geologyjohn

Mar 18, 2009
West edge of the U.S.
Detector(s) used
WW2 mine detector, D-Tex Standard, D-Tex Deluxe, A.H. Pro Discriminator, various Whites, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher 1270, Fisher F75, Fisher Gold Bug,Tesoro Sand Shark. And maybe others that I forgot?
In my experience, Fisher provided the best support and service I could have ever hoped for. And I have owned a fair number of MD's since 1966.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only had one experience with them and it was this past Feb when I sent my used F75LTD SE in for upgrade. I was never put on hold for more then a minute or 2 when my call was redirected from the lady who answered the phone to when a tech picked up the line. I received outstanding service and am very pleased with the upgrade.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted a problem once on my F5. Then later about an issue with the LRP. Both times, FTP contacted "me" with a PM on a solution. Mike had Felix send me a paid shipping return to FTP and fixed my F5 with an update to the processor, that I had missed, at no charge 7 years after I bought it (beyond the warranty time). A year ago I was questioning an issue I was having with my LRP. Jorge, the engineer, PMed "me" and offered to replace the unit if I wasn't happy with it at no charge.

FTP service has been beyond exceptional in my cases, and is second to none and I have had many different manufacturers detectors. If your issue is justified, I have no doubts about FTPs service.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering buying a new CZ-21, but I've read some serious horror stories regarding Fisher's warranty support, and the problems with leaking detectors are numerous.

Any recent experiences to help me make a decision? I just don't want to dump $1500+ on a detector which will be leaking and unable to be repairs in a year. I need to know my hard earned dollars are not going to waste.

Thanks

Fisher has great customer service and if you use your detector like I do youll need it.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, looking forward to getting a CZ-21

Last edited:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,FLGP

Nice comeback

What kind of gliders?

thanks for the chance for a lot of Fisher's happy customers to chime in.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Schweizer 1-26, 1-34, and Blanik L-23, Grob 102, and ASW28 are some I've flown. I owned a 1-26 for a few years, but sold it recently. Had some family changes which made it difficult for me to get the time and money to continue flying. Now I look at the clouds from the water. They actually look better from the ground anyway!

Thanks again!

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CZ-21 and it is an amazing machine!! I have recently dealt with Fisher's support (Arturo Barrientos) for my CZ-6. I sent my unit for a "check up," and came back with a "full bill of health!" The whole transaction from shipping to Fisher, and back, went as smooth as butter, and I am from Canada!! :thumb_up::thumb_up:

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine sent his CZ21 in to have the case repaired and was quoted $600. Detector was working fine, but fisher reported some corrosion on the main board.

I looked up photos of the circuit board (I found photos of it online) it seemed to be all discrete components, ie: 1980's technology, no surface mount components that I could see and no microprocessor. Full size transistors and dips etc. Why is the CZ-21 detector so expensive?

I also read that all CZ20's eventually leak. Is this true for the CZ21 also? 2 years (warranty) is not a long time to be throwing in another $600.

But then I've seen some people who have had their CZ20's for 9 years.

So I'm sort of on the fence at the moment I guess.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine sent his CZ21 in to have the case repaired and was quoted $600. Detector was working fine, but fisher reported some corrosion on the main board.

I looked up photos of the circuit board (I found photos of it online) it seemed to be all discrete components, ie: 1980's technology, no surface mount components that I could see and no microprocessor. Full size transistors and dips etc. Why is the CZ-21
detector so expensive?

I also read that all CZ20's eventually leak. Is this true for the CZ21 also? 2 years (warranty) is not a long time to be throwing in another $600.

But then I've seen some people who have had their CZ20's for 9 years.

So I'm sort of on the fence at the moment I guess.

From what I understand the older style pinpoint button on the 20 is where the leaks occurred. The 21's pp button is actually a piezoelectric switch and not as prone to leakage of any at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I understand the older style pinpoint button on the 20 is where the leaks occurred. The 21's pp button is actually a piezoelectric switch and not as prone to leakage of any at all.

Yes, I've read that on the CZ20 it's the switch which leaks. On the CZ21, the case cracks.

I talked to some dealers and it sounds like it might have been only the early batch of CZ21's which suffered from this, but I am not completely sure.

Attachments

• crack3.jpg
    crack3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 102
  • crack1.jpg
    crack1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 103
  • crack2.jpg
    crack2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
What I don't understand is what 600 was quoted for. The case was cracked. Was that the battery compartment lid or the main unit? How much more was it for the board? Were there other things? I only had one repair done by fisher for a CZ2l I bought used. It was only 4 months old when I bought it. It developed a crack in the battery compartment lid. I sent it in. They replaced the compartment lid and battery wiring. They also replaced the coil. The tech said he saw something that might cause a problem in the future. They recalibrate
It and sent it back. All in a timely manner. They told me that the unit was out of warranty, which I knew. They charged me zero, nada, nothing. Totally unexpected. Again, I don't know the details of your friends repair, but my experience with fisher has been very positive.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know the details yet, just that they said that the board showed some corrosion and only thing salvageable was the coil and that it would cost $600 to repair it. Sounds like they wanted to just replace the entire main unit. It was working fine though when it was sent in.

The upside of course is that he would get a new detector (except for coil) and probably a partial warranty.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread