My new toy Fisher F75 arrived today ---

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I'd ordered the new Fisher last week and it arrived today. No surprises really other than the battery compartment. Although it uses 4 AA batteries, Fisher opted to creat a potential problem IMO with the way the batteries are inserted and held in place precariously perched atop 4 very flimsy looking springs. If you have one of these units, you must know what I'm talking about.One word of caution; don't be successfully tempted to remove the foam patches behind the back two batteries. Doing so will result in the batteries being able to shift around. :)

I came back to add, I was also a little surprised at the "small-ness" of the grip. I'm not a big guy and my hands are not that large but the grip sure feels "small" in my hand. I opted to go ahead and install a Wilson racket grip material right over the foam. Problem solved! The Fisher now "feels" like a really neat machine. (hint) Install the material without removing the adhering tape so you can better judge how the material should fit the grip before your final installation. Once in place, there's no removing the tape.

I like the simplicity of the new F75 unit and plan on hunting with it tomorrow. I'm anxious to compare it to my Explorer SE and Tesoro Cortes. Does anyone know if SunRay make an attachable probe for this unit?

Thanks!
GRB

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunray does not. E-mail and otherwise pester them as several of us are to add your voice to the crowd. When they get enough demand they'll likely produce one.

I leave the "weather" cover on the battery box all the time. Have not had any problems at all.

Don't be afraid to set the discrimination low. The less disc. the more depth. You can then raise sensitivity without having it get "chattery". If you find an area that is totally overloaded with EMI try switching to All Metal and/or changing the frequency.

Enjoy and good luck.

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Charlie!
Thank you for commenting!

I've decided to go "ALL METAL" just like I do with my SE to make things interesting. I'm anxious to see how Fisher's numerical Target ID works and it's accuracy pertaining to nickels. The SE's ID system is all over the place for nickels and I'm finding it's a guess to whether it's nickel, pulltab, or gold. I detest not finding nickels for I know I'm missing gold as well.

My comment referencing Fisher's F75 battery compartment had to do more with making sure you place the batteries "on top" the springs. I can see already it would be easy to damage them, primarily the two rear ones?

Incidently, the tones the F75 make reminds me a tad of my Cortes. I'm glad to know manual GB applies to both AMM and DISC unlike the Cortes.

GRB

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the All Metal mode. The tones are a little . . . I guess I would say "muted". You don't get the high wake-up call as in discrimination. It's a softer, smoother (and quieter) detector. You do have to pay more attention to the TID, or at least I do.

In my test garden the All Metal hits all my deepest targets. I'm hoping to come up with something old from the "real world" that will confirm this. Having the driest soil I can remember EVER isn't helping, but I'm still pulling enough to make me happy.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Received my F75 also....popped the batteries in nothing, opened it reinserted nothing, fear and dismay seized me....thought I spent a bundle for a defective detector...reinserted batteries turned it on and presto....nothing....tapped vigourously on battery compartment door ....bingo! Great machine with potential, the achilles heel is definitely the battery compartment...seems loose inside and closing the door can slightly offset the contacts. Any suggestions out there....

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello RJW!
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the F75.

I tell you, opening the battery compartment for the very first time I was flabbergasted. I've owned Fisher products before and was surprised by the major oversight regarding the way the 4 AA batteries were designed to fit.I hope you did not remove the foam pieces in the back of the compartment? They are needed to keep the batteries centered atop their individual spring (once the door is closed) and serve also to keep the batteries from rattling. Oh, but I was tempted to remove them! Fisher's manual mentions nothing about "the proper way" to insert the batteries and the caution one should apply in doing so. I inserted mine "heel first" set atop the spring at an angle then pushed the top of the battery in place.

Take care and let us know how you do with your new toy!
GRB

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
will double check that compartment....plan on a good day of hunting this thursday will be off work. thanks.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Sunray does not. E-mail and otherwise pester them as several of us are to add your voice to the crowd. When they get enough demand they'll likely produce one.

I leave the "weather" cover on the battery box all the time. Have not had any problems at all.

Don't be afraid to set the discrimination low. The less disc. the more depth. You can then raise sensitivity without having it get "chattery". If you find an area that is totally overloaded with EMI try switching to All Metal and/or changing the frequency.

Enjoy and good luck.

Charlie
I have been hunting here in upstate NY and switched from the EX2 to the F75 due to all the hot rocks and trash in a field that has been hunted hard. I found a silver quarter and 2 silver dimes with the EX and then went to the F75. I have disc at 65, sens at 80 and JE (I am only looking for the top 3 coins) and I have pulled 8 more mercs from the same area at 9+ inches and also 12 wheat's at the same depth. Did get a large cent & standing lib quarter with the EX but that is another story. WE NEED A SUNRAY PROBE!!!!!

westernNY

Greenie
Nov 26, 2005
made the plunge buying the F75 to replace two aging White machines. Love the weight factor and the idea its a deep seeker. After reading the manual several times - I tried a "hunted hard area" and was amazed at the sorting ability of the machine. It's definitely gonna take a few trips out to learn many of the potentials of this machine. Dry conditions aren't helping at the moment, however that can change anytime. Love to hear from folks having success with the jewerly mode, I know I've passed over many such items in the past 30 years of detecting.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I just got back from your area (Ontario) and although it was dry and hard as a rock I did manage to dig some nice coins. A early 1800 large cent with the EX2 at 12 inches and a Barber quarter at a measured 13 with the F75. Also 5 mercs, 4 Rosies, 1 standing lib quarter and 4 Washington quarters along with close to $50.00 in clad (12 wheat's) I was hunting in JE, sens 80 and disc 65 since my only objective was to get good coins. It is a good detector and right up there with the EX2 and maybe a tad deeper when hunting in area with no electrical interference

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread