New f75 and a couple questions

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger, those are some nice finds for sure! So have you ever had a depth reading of 4-6 inches, and it ended up being more like 10"+? Sometimes I wonder if it is picking up really large targets that are very deep.

Sure....
Large items like cans or big iron regularly show up as 3" or so but can be way deeper, small targets can show several inches deep but are actually shallow.
This is just physics and the same on all detectors.
Use your pinpointing feature to paint the area to get a good idea on size of targets, coins and rings show small but many things like smashed cans will show way bigger.
Swing high over loud suspected bigger targets, if you can get the coil extra high it ain't something you usually want to dig unless you are a relic hunter.
There are exceptions...In a park I hunt I avoided digging a for sure big flat can signal buried many times.
A friend came to hunt this park, got the same signal and dug it and that turned out to be an old inscribed silver cigarette case from the early 1900's.
Lesson learned.

If you have good soil the F75 just lives at a way deeper level than that F2...way deeper.
You just have to get used to that because this thing can easily pick up targets up to that 10"+ area fairly easily.
Definitely several inches further than the F2, anyway.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure....
Large items like cans or big iron regularly show up as 3" or so but can be way deeper, small targets can show several inches deep but are actually shallow.
This is just physics and the same on all detectors.
Use your pinpointing feature to paint the area to get a good idea on size of targets, coins and rings show small but many things like smashed cans will show way bigger.
Swing high over loud suspected bigger targets, if you can get the coil extra high it ain't something you usually want to dig unless you are a relic hunter.
There are exceptions...In a park I hunt I avoided digging a for sure big flat can signal buried many times.
A friend came to hunt this park, got the same signal and dug it and that turned out to be an old inscribed silver cigarette case from the early 1900's.
Lesson learned.

If you have good soil the F75 just lives at a way deeper level than that F2...way deeper.
You just have to get used to that because this thing can easily pick up targets up to that 10"+ area fairly easily.
Definitely several inches further than the F2, anyway.

I think I am going to do a test bed to get a feel for tones, and the pinpointing a smaller target. Might not be a bad idea to smash a can and bury that a couple inches too. Maybe even bury a couple coins with nails to see what happens. Can say this thing sets up quick and runs smooth. Very stable. If I get under power lines or anything a little less sens. And it's ready to roll.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See, that's the strange part. I'll pinpoint what seems to be a smaller target at around 5 inches. Cut a plug about that deep, and then I'm digging to china. Obviously this leads me to believe it's a bigger object than I thought. The depth reading is fooling me though. Other than that, I'm liking this thing. It's like anything else I'm guessing. Takes time. Got my headphones working. Right side wasn't working before. Now I can hear the signals so much crisper. I was in a very trashy site this morning and was able to feel out a penny in a hole with a few 22 shells, and a dime in between trash. Getting better. I'm going to do a test bed I think to get an idea on a deeper coin hit.

Detectors' depth is calibrated for coin sized objects. What did you find at the bottom or you gave up?

I run my F75 and F70 down in the 60s for sensitivity a lot. Try it on a test, I don't think you'll give up that much depth. Get some enjoyment, confidence under your belt before you get discouraged.

Get the smaller coil if you're hitting a lot of crap.

The other hard fact I learned, the F70/F75 is a hot detector. Leave your metal and cellphones in you vehicle if you can. And watch where you carry your pinpointer. Want to get a laugh, take your Garrett pinpointer and turn it off. Hold it above your detector's coil and see how far it will pick it up. Your F75 will pick up your pinpointer 4-6 feet away.....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Ok, to preface this information I have to tell you I am pretty weird when it comes to some of my theories and methods I have used with great success in both cleaner, open sites but especially in extreme trash and iron...eventually I discovered it works in heavy mineralization too.
Some can't believe some of the settings I use and have posted about but the results most can't argue with.
I love to experiment and tweak and always attempt to understand my tools at the deepest level possible and even beyond plus hunting in many sites that I can say are usually much more than just challenging I had to adapt and find new ways of hunting that might not seem logical or the norm but some produced so much positive results so consistently in many different sites it just can't be a fluke.
This is advanced stuff for hunting in heavy iron or mineralized soil and it works in trash also but it took several hours to fully develop and understand and some practice and experience to fully utilize...that pic with all the good stuff that came from that site with all that iron were all found using this which I call the blast through method.
All metal, sense and thresh maxed out, using that up-averaging effect and learning new behavior and clues to unmask very hidden non ferrous targets in an ocean of iron.
Don't worry about it now and I mean that, it is not necessary for your level of understanding or needs now and you are just at the the beginning of your learning curve getting comfortable with your fine tool so just keep tracking the way you are going but bookmark and read it someday and if you ever find yourself in an old home site with a million nails or other similar conditions if you spend some time learning this method it could be very, very productive.
I have other methods, more normal ways using low disc, high disc and others that work well also but this method still seems to work the best for me.
I consider the work I put into discovering, learning and getting good at this one of the most important things I have ever added to my skill set.
It should pay me dividends for as long as I am able to get out and swing a detector.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/482069-mineralized-ground.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all you guys who are giving all the awesome info. This is why forums are amazing. Look what I found today. The silvers were from a 1930's house I could hit with a rock from my house. Along with the musket ball, skeleton key, and 1910 boy scout token!

Then another couple blocks overy an 1800's building that got torn down produced the 1869 indian, and 1838 large cent!!!! I'm all giddy!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 20170219_163607.jpg
    20170219_163607.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 100
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a bunch of clad too. 2f was working well for me.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That's awesome!

Maybe you should be giving advice instead of receiving it:laughing7:

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detectors' depth is calibrated for coin sized objects. What did you find at the bottom or you gave up?

I run my F75 and F70 down in the 60s for sensitivity a lot. Try it on a test, I don't think you'll give up that much depth. Get some enjoyment, confidence under your belt before you get discouraged.

Get the smaller coil if you're hitting a lot of crap.

The other hard fact I learned, the F70/F75 is a hot detector. Leave your metal and cellphones in you vehicle if you can. And watch where you carry your pinpointer. Want to get a laugh, take your Garrett pinpointer and turn it off. Hold it above your detector's coil and see how far it will pick it up. Your F75 will pick up your pinpointer 4-6 feet away.....

Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, a few I about threw my digger over the hill. Just felt like I was digging for nothing. Today I went down about 10 inches, and hit what looked like a big piece of coil stock aluminum. The indian was deep. Under some tree roots and close to a tree. Most things I dug had iron in the hole with it. The large cent rang a steady 82, I pinpointed and it read 6 inches deep. I thought for sure it would be my first silver quarter. Got a pleasant surprise. I gotta go back. Had a nice hit and ran into more roots. Might go over with my mini sledge, and chisel. Got a feeling that's another indian. I'm getting better at knowing a small target vs a larger one.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, I missed this post. Yes, a few I about threw my digger over the hill. Just felt like I was digging for nothing. Today I went down about 10 inches, and hit what looked like a big piece of coil stock aluminum. The indian was deep. Under some tree roots and close to a tree. Most things I dug had iron in the hole with it. The large cent rang a steady 82, I pinpointed and it read 6 inches deep. I thought for sure it would be my first silver quarter. Got a pleasant surprise. I gotta go back. Had a nice hit and ran into more roots. Might go over with my mini sledge, and chisel. Got a feeling that's another indian. I'm getting better at knowing a small target vs a larger one.

Indian Heads will ring in with a Target ID of 45 to 48 depending on your soil. They are in the zinc range.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I usually hit Indians a little higher in the low to mid 50's...larger can slaw range, up to true zincoln range at sometimes the low 60's in good soil.
Indian heads like nickels can sometimes just act weird.
Also I have hit a couple of three ringers at that same exact range.

In that iron infested site in good soil I found one and here in my bad soil with the red clay and extra iron I have found several IH's and most were at the 5-6" depth level and all came in at the high 80's to low 90's.
That up-averaging effect at work.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember passing on a couple upper 40's, low 50's signals. Sounded tight too. Was in de for a little bit, je, and fa too. Disc was at 4, and sens. At 70ish. Got overhead power close by. I'm still trying to figure out a digable target hunting this way. I dug up lots of iron this morning and a few clad coins.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I know that is sub par, and cheesy to me is the battery box, and door. My F75 will just shut off while I'm digging a target and I have to mess with the batteries/door to get it to come back on. Think they could have done something a little heavier duty there.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I know that is sub par, and cheesy to me is the battery box, and door. My F75 will just shut off while I'm digging a target and I have to mess with the batteries/door to get it to come back on. Think they could have done something a little heavier duty there.

I have never had the problem you are describing and I've swung the F75 for well over 2 years. Are the battery removal straps laid in correctly?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been swinging mine since 2007 and have no problem with the batteries. Always push the batteries into tray down towards the negative contact spring. If you push them straight in you can bend the spring over and they may not fully seat. That's true for anything that uses AAA or AA batteries.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been swinging mine since 2007 and have no problem with the batteries. Always push the batteries into tray down towards the negative contact spring. If you push them straight in you can bend the spring over and they may not fully seat. That's true for anything that uses AAA or AA batteries.

I for sure put them in right. just checked the straps Loco. All good there. I mean, it's not a huge issue, just something I noticed. For their top of the line machine I would just think it was made a little more stout is all.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug an 1899 barber, and 8 wheats today. Some silver costume jewelry, a cheap ring, and about 2 bucks in clad. The barber was about 6 inches deep. Was under some roots. Was stuck at 82 on vdi. When I hit those roots I knew it was gonna be something good. Every fisher I've used is spot on with quarters.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today while hunting. I think 2 times when I got down to look for a target I retrieved it, then got up and realized my machine shut off. When I opened the battery door, it turned back on. I noticed the tits on the pos. battery side seem short. They are rechargeables that I got with the detector. Think it could be some of the problem there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread