New f75 and a couple questions

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
All batteries are not the same size.
You would think they should be but the manufactures don't always make them to an industry standard...if there is such a thing.

In my F2 I used several brands of 9volts and most fit but there were a couple of brands that were a little too big...couldn't force them in if I wanted to.
Surprising, but I just threw those in my Propointer instead.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that Alkaline batteries are 1.5V and NiMH or NiCad are 1.375V and within a day or three self discharge to 1.2v

You might get WAY less useful time with rechargeables.

Last edited:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant beat 4 alkaline AA at DollarTree for a buck....

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Note that Alkaline batteries are 1.5V and NiMH or NiCad are 1.375V and within a day or three self discharge to 1.2v

You might get WAY less useful time with rechargeables.
I did read this somewhere. Maybe that's why they recommend to not use batteries past 50 percent life?

Cant beat 4 alkaline AA at DollarTree for a buck....

Haha, I got me a bunch of harbor frieght AA's in my drawer I'll have to try.

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did read this somewhere. Maybe that's why they recommend to not use batteries past 50 percent life?

Haha, I got me a bunch of harbor frieght AA's in my drawer I'll have to try.

No no no if they are the black and yellow freebies! They leak too easy, I'll never use them again.

But whatever you try, take them out when you stop detecting at the end of the day. Dont forget your pinpointer battery too.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I consider myself as being thrifty, I get a 60 pack of AAs and a 12 pack of 9V batteries as stocking stuffers every Christmas.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure the original question was answered. I was surprised to find out the discrimination mode and all metal mode settings does effect each other. Also a proper ground balance sequence helps also. My understanding is to ground balance in all metal mode then switch to discriminate mode and make adjustments. The factory reset will put you in DE mode and you are pretty much ready to hunt in that mode. The upgraded version of F75 can be hunted wide open. The older original versions dont need the sensitivity cranked up to work. My favorite mode is Jewelry mode, sensitivity at 35 and disc at 4.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure the original question was answered. I was surprised to find out the discrimination mode and all metal mode settings does effect each other. Also a proper ground balance sequence helps also. My understanding is to ground balance in all metal mode then switch to discriminate mode and make adjustments. The factory reset will put you in DE mode and you are pretty much ready to hunt in that mode. The upgraded version of F75 can be hunted wide open. The older original versions dont need the sensitivity cranked up to work. My favorite mode is Jewelry mode, sensitivity at 35 and disc at 4.

I know the Je mode is "Hotter", but do you still get deep at 35 on the sens.?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for sens at 35 it picks up on small gold and silver. I'd say 8 inches maybe more. Go all metal if you want to go deep. You could hunt in BP mode. Or if the target barely registers I use the pin point mode. Bring a shovel, your gonna need it.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for sens at 35 it picks up on small gold and silver. I'd say 8 inches maybe more. Go all metal if you want to go deep. You could hunt in BP mode. Or if the target barely registers I use the pin point mode. Bring a shovel, your gonna need it.

Only thing that has kept me from going with all metal is the manual ground balancing that goes with it. I will have to try it sooner than later though. I have finally settled in with 2f as my tones of choice. Just makes it all make sense to me.

Must be doing something halfway right. Where I found the indian, and largie I guess a guy had went through it already. What the mailman said today anyways. Just these damn deep targets. They seem so small when I pinpoint and even before that as I hit the target from different angles. Ends up being something decent in size. Probably great for relic hunting!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the ground grab GB function on a piece of silent ground with zero disc. and it works fine for me.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the ground grab GB function on a piece of silent ground with zero disc. and it works fine for me.

Im starting to think the batteries supplied with my F75 are an issue. Not only for it shutting off, but for depth. I have yet to recover a deep deep coin. Only bigger objects. 5 inch coins sound kind of faint. Thinking maybe the low voltage of the rechargeables are robbing the machine of power. Easy to test. Going out tomorrow to hunt a farm. Will be on fields mostly so depth is a big thing. Gonna swap in some quality AA's and see how she does. If I get crisper signals from good targets I'm ditching the rechargeables.

fjs440

Greenie
Mar 3, 2015
Avon, OH
Detector(s) used
F2
1280-X
F70
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I always recharge my batteries after a day in the field. That includes my pinpointer. Why let them get low on voltage! Once my pinpointer batteries an low. It will not happen again. I also carry extra batteries in the car.
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love rechargables but just broke down and buy Durcell only. I like the red jacket ones. You wear those out and you have done something. Could be target mask keeping you from going deep. You can turn the sens all the way up and hunt. I always concerned with coil overload. The machine should not shut off unless you turn it off. If it keeps doing that call customer support and ask for help. I have found most problems operator(myself) related.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love rechargables but just broke down and buy Durcell only. I like the red jacket ones. You wear those out and you have done something. Could be target mask keeping you from going deep. You can turn the sens all the way up and hunt. I always concerned with coil overload. The machine should not shut off unless you turn it off. If it keeps doing that call customer support and ask for help. I have found most problems operator(myself) related.

I've used my 75 twice with conventional duracells. Hasn't shut off once. The batteries even tuck inside the housing much nicer. Oh well. Got about 9 hours on them and still showing full power. I always run as much sens. as I can for the situation, and disc. on 0. I'm definitely getting better with it. Went back to the house I found the boy scouts token, and many other items and pulled out a rosey dime, and a few wheats. I seem to do better slowing the coil sweep down a tad, and overlapping my passes. Only thing I keep noticing is little faint signals. They do register, and some read high number on the vdi. They give a deep reading on depth gauge. Sometimes I wonder if my high sens. is giving a false signal. Still learning the machine but I'm def. getting better with it. Went back over anot her yard I hunted. Swiped over an old plug I had dug, and saw a quarter reading. Opened the plug and found it. Nice having a pinpointer, lol. Oh, and 2f for trashy areas, and 3 tones for things like fields for me. I feel like as long as I'm still wanting to go out and hunt the next day, there must be some progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also looking to trade my 15" coil for a 5" if someone is interested in a straight up trade. My coil is brand new.

SteveM70

Jan 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im starting to think the batteries supplied with my F75 are an issue. Not only for it shutting off, but for depth. I have yet to recover a deep deep coin. Only bigger objects. 5 inch coins sound kind of faint. Thinking maybe the low voltage of the rechargeables are robbing the machine of power. Easy to test. Going out tomorrow to hunt a farm. Will be on fields mostly so depth is a big thing. Gonna swap in some quality AA's and see how she does. If I get crisper signals from good targets I'm ditching the rechargeables.

I hadn't had any trouble with the rechargeable batteries that came with the detector until yesterday. Batteries were fresh and fully charged. I had 3 good signals in a row with multiple sweeps that either disappeared or turned to iron after I pulled the plug. Swapped them out for some good Alkaline batteries and problem went away. I'll probably use the rechargeables for remote controls.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't had any trouble with the rechargeable batteries that came with the detector until yesterday. Batteries were fresh and fully charged. I had 3 good signals in a row with multiple sweeps that either disappeared or turned to iron after I pulled the plug. Swapped them out for some good Alkaline batteries and problem went away. I'll probably use the rechargeables for remote controls.

It's very subtle, but there is definitely a difference with the rechargeables. Might be good to throw them in for coinshooting at the local park? Since most items will usually be shallow.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've used my 75 twice with conventional duracells. Hasn't shut off once. The batteries even tuck inside the housing much nicer. Oh well. Got about 9 hours on them and still showing full power. I always run as much sens. as I can for the situation, and disc. on 0. I'm definitely getting better with it. Went back to the house I found the boy scouts token, and many other items and pulled out a rosey dime, and a few wheats. I seem to do better slowing the coil sweep down a tad, and overlapping my passes. Only thing I keep noticing is little faint signals. They do register, and some read high number on the vdi. They give a deep reading on depth gauge. Sometimes I wonder if my high sens. is giving a false signal. Still learning the machine but I'm def. getting better with it. Went back over anot her yard I hunted. Swiped over an old plug I had dug, and saw a quarter reading. Opened the plug and found it. Nice having a pinpointer, lol. Oh, and 2f for trashy areas, and 3 tones for things like fields for me. I feel like as long as I'm still wanting to go out and hunt the next day, there must be some progress.

I normally run my sensitivity between 65 & 75, disc at 6, 4H tone. I use 2 tone when field hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions