F70/Patriot owners...some pretty good silver shooting settings...

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I have wrote about doing this before, parts of it anyway using different settings on a couple of the features, but after a few good finds I think I nailed it down for this technique so let me lay it out for you.

Get a nice drink and sit back and relax because this turned out to be an extra long one.

This is about hunting quietly but still getting deep and utilizing the unmasking abilities of these units if needed.
Let's call this the three S method...Silver Shooting Settings.

I can hunt noisy, some think I am insane for some of the pumped up settings I use in some extremely trashy or iron infested sites.
Plus the signals, hunt with all metal or disc at 1 or 0 and the amount of tones and numbers you hear and see flying by can be....daunting.
Over the years I have trained my brain to pick out the better signals in this wall of sound and the fast jumping numbers on the screen, I know I can because I have found a lot doing it this way.
However for those that are new at using these tools, or those that just can't handle huge amounts of data hitting them all at once or really don't want to, quieter hunting methods are much more logical.
I don't care what you can find, if you are not having fun or are uncomfortable using certain methods just don't...Luckily there are a million ways to set these things up from extreme noise and chatter to deathly silent and still be successful.

I also hunt in some pretty bad dirt, mineralization, trash galore, much more than my share of iron from huge to tiny, so I always am on the lookout for good settings to combat this.
Decent depth is somewhat important but not the be all and end all for me because I have a ton of great things at about the 5-6" level and a bit further around here, it is the masking problem that is much more important to get a handle on for me.
The reason why I have that layer of good targets still existing in so many of my heavily hit, totally scoured public sites is precisely because of masking and the strange way my dirt screws up all signals when you get deeper here.
Nothing is really normal here anyway at about 4-5"+...add in the masking iron and targets have a pretty easy time of staying hidden.

My F70/Patriot plus also the T2 and the F75 are pretty great choices for hunting in my environment because of a programming feature they all have...they up average around iron.
It can be actual pieces of iron in the ground near my targets or just my iron oxide filled dirt that will cause this I have utilized this great feature to my advantage here, I assure you.

Over time there are a few other things I have found that help tremendously, DP tones seem to have some pretty decent unmasking ability also, then there is the pretty well known iron method from Tom Dankowski of disc 6 to knock out tiny nails and using monotone only, 1 tone, to unmask non ferrous targets with great success in iron infested sites.
I tweaked this and usually go down to 1or 0 on the disc because I think it increases the response time a bit and I like to hear and see everything.
For those that have never read about this using monotone is the main thing here, switching to any other tone choice switches the disc to level 15 automatically, or definitely on the multi tone options anyway but I believe it is all of them, as it does this it can cause you to miss things.
There are way more to these machines than what you see on the surface and it pays to delve deeper into the actual programming quirks if you care to do that...the more you know and all that.
This can get noisy but you can adjust the gain and thresh to make it bearable, I just got used to some higher ones so a bit of chatter and jumping is not a big deal for me.

My blast though settings work great for me too in trash and especially iron, all metal and everything else pumped up to max, SL and DE speed us your option but both seem to work well.
This is extremely noisy, it took hours of practice to get a handle on this and figure out non ferrous target behavior but well worth the time spent, I have found many great targets including a few bucket listers in some insane iron infested sites doing it this way.

I also found that very high thresh has some great unmasking abilities too, plus it seems to turn these things into sensitive and deep monsters but most of you know as you turn up the thresh it can get noisy.

Now given all that that I have discovered, experimented with, practiced and found as much as I have found using my noisier settings there is something to be said for hunting in very quiet environments.
For newbies and many others it is just easier to notice better signals with less data hitting you all at once...that quieter environment.
Even as good as I am at using these noisy jumpy pumped up settings I could still miss things.
I can process the tones and numbers flying by fast as anyone after years of practice but I am not perfect by a long shot.

So what to do if you want to hunt quietly and deep and unmask hidden treasure using tools that are ultra high gain out of the factory and have no DST to mitigate noise?
You experiment like crazy and find settings that can do this for you, that's what.

Luckily so many settings can work on these things to do most of that.
Gain set at respectable levels of the 70's to 80's or even lower and thresh in the negative, remember the gain is much higher on these things that you might think...even set on 1.
It may not be ultra quiet but you can get there with the right gain and thresh combinations, plus also remember the lower 3 tone choices in disc are going to be quieter than the higher ones.
I use this kind of set up a lot and it works well.
For most this type of set up should work too in most soil types but I wanted more.

Awhile ago I hit on something that seemed to also work and quiet this thing down a good bit and on this hunt helped me find one if the deepest targets I have ever dug in the bad stuff here, it was a1880's V nickel worn thin as a dime and every bit of 8-9" deep...and it was found with the 5" DD sniper coil too.
A friend that hunts with an E Trac saw the coin, the deep hole it came out of and the small coil and could hardly believe it, heck, I could hardly believe it...but there it was.
Settings at the time were new for me and something I was trying...
Disc maxed at 65, thresh was about -1 or -2, sense probably about 85, I think I was in DE speed, 3 or 3H tones and I had notched in foil and nickels because I am still a gold hunter at my core.
Pretty quiet, not ultra quiet but quiet enough for me to notice an up averaged high tone that was solid and repeated from more than one way on this deep nickel in an area I had been over a thousand times before and so had countless of others over the years.

Now let me say this here, on these things nickels are fairly easy because these units really like them for some reason and so do many other brands.
Even in this bad dirt I have found many but silver dimes, those are a bit tougher especially when masked to the hilt.
There is a reason most use dimes for testing purposes in this hobby, it seems to be the standard target that is chosen more than most others.
If you can get your tool to hit deep dimes you have a shot at most everything else is the usual mindset.

After this deep nickel I used these settings a bit more but filed it away and went on to experimenting with others.
Such is my curse, I am very curious and there are so many different ways and settings to try and I enjoy that part of the hobby.
For me to settle down and use just one small list of settings is pretty much impossible but that's ok, I enjoy hunting no matter what I find or don't find no matter what way I am doing it.

Then I read a post from another hunter that uses an F75 and was talking about how really high thresh helped him in unmasking some great targets in some pretty rough soil, he went into great detail about it too and thanks for that.
So this past February I revisited these settings again and decided to explore them a bit deeper.
Again I pumped up the Disc to max 65, I used my common 1 monotone, DE speed, and turned up the sense to 99 and the thresh to +9 and used the big DD coil.
No notch at that point.
I was astounded to see how quiet this thing was...eerily quiet in areas it never was before.
I came to realize that not only can you control the noise and chatter with the sense and thresh, and choosing the lower tone choices too to some degree, but raising the disc up seems to have a great affect on it too.
I had a few little tics and falses here and there but not much at all, I kept checking to see if my machine was actually working when I had some short stretches of total silence because this was really weird to me.
I notched back in nickels again and it got a tiny bit noisier but not much so I left it.
I tried notching in foil too but the noise started coming in heavier, these were similar to the settings I had when I found that deep V nickel except then the sense and thresh were way lower, here they were maxed out.
I discovered if you want to notch anything in with these high sense and thresh settings just do one not multiples and it should still stay unusually quiet.
I don't think it matters what you notch in, foil, nickels, tabs or zinc, maybe even iron, if you do this don't notch in more than one if anything to keep them fairly quiet.

For about a week I used this setup and on three consecutive hunts I found three great silver targets in three different areas I assure you I have hunted to death.
The first was a silver rosie, not super deep at about 5" or so but in the hole with it was a rusted disc that I believe was a steel war cent and a pretty decent size piece of iron slag.
This was one of the entrance areas to a park just up the block from me that I practically live at.
I know I had been over this area a ton with different settings, coils and detectors and this thing never showed up before.
This time I got a for sure dig me signal and it shocked me when a silver dime came up.
This wasn't super stable, it had that iron in the hole, but I have learned indicators to target non ferrous objects in this mess and this time I saw them where I never did in the past.
The next day I was on my way to the same park and stopped at a permission home on my way I had hunted so many times in the last year I couldn't count and even though I got a large amount of great targets out of here I thought I was done.
There seemed to be nothing left except true iron signals, over time I even dug most of the iffier trash as long as it wasn't iron so this was a pretty clean site.
Since it was so clean I just consider it a personal laboratory and hit it when I use new settings just to see if they work.
I rarely found anything good but it doesn't hurt to try.
This time with these new settings I got another signal in an area right next to a walkway that I had been over a zillion times before and never saw...more dig me non ferrous indicators that I would have gone after for sure if I had seen them in the past.
I dug down about 5-6" and on the way pulled out a couple of healthy sized pieces of iron.
Finally at the depth my F70 said it was I pulled out something else...a large oval hair clip that came up suspiciously clean.
I knocked the dirt off and looked at the back and sure enough there was the word sterling stamped into it.
I was dumbfounded.

Day three back to this park again with these settings and headed for an area I have hit a million times and I am sure a ton of hunters had too over the decades.
Never found much here, some modern clad, some junk from old houses that were near this vicinity and were knocked down long ago, a bunch of trash like can slaw and a million tabs and pop tops.
I was moving along and got another great signal, short but sweet.
My rig said quarter and not deep at about 2" but still I was surprised I had never acquired and dug this one before.
I opened a small hole and dug down but missed it.
At least one piece of iron in that hole, a big ol rusty nail, and nothing else in the bottom but my Propointer says dummy, it is in the sidewall of the hole, pay better attention when you pinpoint.
I stuck the tip of my Lesche in high and gouged out a chunk of dirt and pulled it it and threw it on top of the pile of dirt I had already taken out if the hole.
In that dirt I saw something cool, it was covered up with dirt but one edge was poking out a little and I saw it was shiny, not dark like all my clad looks coming out of my dirt.
It had to be silver and I was happy, I picked it up and cleaned off the face expecting to see Washington's bust or that familiar eagle but instead I saw a liberty head and went into shock.
It was a Barber quarter and the Date was 1898!
This is the one in my avatar, at the very tip top of my bucket list was any Barber because I should have found one way before this but never did and a quarter to boot.
I believe this thing was standing straight up and vertical, hard to believe we all missed this shallow coin all these years but that bit of iron near it and the vertical position might have had something to do with it.
These settings seem to have a bit of unmasking superpowers to them, I can't explain finding these three silver targets plus a bunch of other more mundane coins I dug heavily hunted areas along the way.

Then I changed my settings again and started experimenting with some others like DP.
Don't know why, I should have stuck with what worked but after one or two hunts with nothing stellar showing up I got bored and went on to other adventures in learning.

Recently a few people have been receiving their new Patriots and asked about some settings and advice and I am loaded with way too much of all that so I put some out there so they could move up the learning curve a bit faster.
One mentioned using the thresh on higher numbers and replying to that jogged my memory about how well that worked for me in the past.
I hadn't used that high disc high thresh and sense stuff lately and I got a new Nel Sharpshooter coil recently which seems unusually quiet on my rig so that got me going...now I couldn't wait to get out there and try these again.
I put down a new Mojave I have been having fun with for the last week or so and picked up the F70 again and headed for some old curb strips I have hunted a ton in the past along with legions of other hunters for decades.
A prime hunting spot for many in the past because they sit in front of one of the oldest and most exclusive neighborhoods in the city.
Pretty much considered hunted out now and forgotten but not by me, there might not be much left at all but there us just too much trash and iron masking going on around here, too many signals screwed up by the mineralized dirt to ever consider any site completely drained so I keep coming back to try my luck.
I have found a few things here, some modern clad and things but the few older wheats were the real prizes here...if these are here there could be more.
I tried these settings on the F70 and nothing great popped up but I did dig a surprising amount of copper cents from the 60's to 70's.
I missed them all before so these settings are still working.
Then yesterday I went to another old park where good targets are scarce but once in awhile some good stuff still pops up.
Same deal, maxed out disc, sense and thresh but with nickels notched in.
I found dimes, some copper cents and nothing spectacular but not much trash or iron either and I was still happy to find what I did.
Then in an area near a very old building that had been here from probably the early 1900's I came across another really short quick but solid sounding nickel signal in the 3 tones I had just switched to for a change.
Heavy amount of red clay here just under the grass, a bunch of rocks too and even though there has been extensive work done in this park in the last few years I don't think this particular area was touched.
This nickel or whatever it was wasn't deep, turns out it was just below the grass at about 1/2" deep but again standing straight up vertically...hence the unusually short tone.
I went for it and when I got it out of the roots of the grass it was entangled in I again was shocked...this wasn't a Jefferson as I expected or even a buff, it was a freaking V nickel with a date of 1903!
Only found 4 in my career and this is the best one yet.

So now I am still basking from this one and thinking about what I have learned about using these settings.
Two coins that a million people probably missed over the decades that could be because they were standing on edge.
Might just be luck but these settings easily noticed them so that could be important.

Dealing with my mineralized soil they work well, digging some better silver out of the same holes with iron tells me the unmasking ability seems not just good but great.
This is a huge deal to me at my sites.

Depth, well with these settings you are supercharged and the depth you can get on these units is pretty amazing anyway so even though I am thrilled to get to even 8-9" here in good soil who knows the limit?
In good dirt I once hit a target at 15" in disc with the thresh and sense maxed out like this so for those of you that are lucky enough not to live where I do I would go for it, in older sites especially.

The Quietness...turn it down a bit if you have to but I bet you won't have to do that much at all with such high disc.
I am still amazed mine is so quiet.
The only units I ever experienced true "silent search" is with my Tesoros but this comes pretty darn close.

Utilization...
You ain't gonna find everything with such high disc but for older, silver and other high conductive coin shooting I expect this would be ideal.
By notching in one other area you have a shot at other things too, maybe even gold if you notch in the right target area.
If I was looking for Indians and was not hunting in my dirt which makes them soar high I might try notching in zinc instead...bet that would work.

I will add again that my new Nel coil seems unusually quiet, supposed to have extra shielding in the promotional literature and I believe it does, but I did it all using Fisher factory coils too including the big DD that comes standard on the Patriot and it was still amazingly quiet and stable.

So there ya go, another way too long thread about my experiences but someday, somewhere they could just help another hunter find that next great thing if they try it someday.
They worked pretty darn well for me, I think I am going to keep using them a bit longer this time and see where they lead me.

Attachments

• user10659_pic74164_1486770783_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear (1).jpg
    user10659_pic74164_1486770783_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear (1).jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 193
  • user10659_pic74176_1486858982 (1).jpg
    user10659_pic74176_1486858982 (1).jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 158
  • b1_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    b1_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 191
  • user10659_pic75523_1495912191_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    user10659_pic75523_1495912191_PerfectlyClear_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is awesome info! I am going to purchase a patriot for my wife/backup machine. I wonder how this will work on my f75 since it doesn't have thresh in disc. Mode. I'm going to give it a go in a couple places I go with muucho junk. I like reading your posts because I tend to get frustrated if I come up with less than usual on a hunt. Like you said though.....it should always be enjoyable, and as long as you come away with something from the hunt.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Yea, one thing I do like about these is you can control the thresh in disc.
Not necessary for most hunting but does have an effect and could possibly help in some situations.

You can control the thresh and gain in one of your all metal settings and I pump them up all the way and hunt using mine that way in my all metal too...a lot.
I call that my blast through settings and it works remarkably well in mineralization but especially in extreme iron infested sites.
Unlike some other brands on these higher gain gives you better resolution in iron...not less.
Completely the opposite of the high beams in the fog theory that says high gain will bounce back and confuse everything.
It took lots of practice to understand and get a handle on what I was experiencing with this blast through technique, and even more to notice and catalog a whole new set of repeating behavior indicators to target non ferrous objects but once I did some remarkable things happened.
Still my best go-to reliable settings for hunting old home sites and other places with extreme iron.

If you want to know more about this method it is near the bottom of my post #12 in this thread...
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/techniques/482069-mineralized-ground.html

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The maxed out disc. Setup sucker punched me because I always figured you would miss many targets but the monotone in that setup may just be the secret....

The all metal mode is something I try to use on occasion, and I know it's the deepest. I just can't seem to get the knack for it especially in trashy areas. Open field somewhere I'm sure I could run it but not an iron pit. Not yet anyhow.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
It took me hours to learn in one specific horrific site...confusion reigned, jumping tones and numbers jumping all over, changing and flying by.
I dug a ton of iron.
Then I noticed something different, and I dug a non ferrous target.
I saw it again eventually, dug another non iron target.
Started adding up and listing in my head more repeating behavior and it got easier and easier.
I went from knowing nothing, understanding nothing to being able to pick out most very masked great targets at will while digging very little iron after...unless I wanted to.
Still one of the most important and helpful things I ever learned.
It took time, but it was well spent.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've noticed on my f75, the iron has a "soft" signal. Not the typical round one. I know right away once I flip a plug if there is iron in the hole.....one way I can tell it was falsing iron is if the target is in the side wall. Usually falsing nails do this to me. I've been more in the digging mood lately just to learn more characteristics of the falsing iron vs iron mixed with good targets. I keep seeing all these finds people yank out of the ground that were sharing residency with all kinds of junk.

To me, anyone can beep and dig a nice silver coin, or relic in non trashy areas....even the deeper ones with a quality machine. I'm always intrigued when a sliver or other great target is pulled from the garbage. That's why I take 30 minutes to read your threads! Lmao...

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
There is a reason I keep experimenting, trying new things and even adjust my attitude and rules for digging when needed.
This happened last month, I had been going along for a long time digging certain signals and avoiding others and thought I had a good grasp of what goes on here in my really strange dirt.
Then I dug a target that I thought was going to be junk but wasn't...so I had to reassess my thinking.
I changed then and there and decided to dig a few more of the more iffier signals I had avoided.
What the heck, I am out here to dig, not just to swing the coil around for the heck of it, I figured, and my dirt is even weirder than I thought.
Not long after in a permission lawn I had been hunting for like a year and thought I had cleaned up good I got one of those iffier, a bit more juniper mixed signals I never dug in the past.
Three things came out of that hole that was small and only a couple inches wide.
I was right to change and learn, wish I did it sooner but I won't make this mistake again.
You never stop learning in this hobby, not about your detector or your dirt or target behavior...if you are smart.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/537515-she-tried-hide-but-i-found-her.html

Attachments

• PicsArt_1491788341856.jpg
    PicsArt_1491788341856.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just to remind you about these settings I have recently suggested the same to a friend up in Ohio because, well, they work.
I am mentoring him and he is not into tweaking and experimenting much but he will take specific settings I give him and use them enough to get good with them.
Recently he used this high thresh-disc-gain method and in a small park he has hunted a lot he came across the best signal of his life.
In his great Ohio dirt they worked well.
He uses an F70 and an 11" DD coil mostly.

Disc maxed at 65.
Gain as high as you can go without much noise.
Thresh up there too, I usually push it to between +6-+9 F75 guys don't worry about this one because you can control the thresh in disc.
Monotone.
DE.
Surprisingly quiet with the disc that high in monotone despite the maxed out gain and thresh.
Adjust it down a bit if too much noise at any site.

Depth reading on this signal said 8" and he found a silver quarter there.
VDI numbers jumped a bit from 84-91...but there was a reason for that...this ended up to be very accurate even that deep.
The reason for that jump is after he pulled out that silver Washington his pinpointer says there was something else a little deeper.
He stuck his hand down there and pulled out a clump of dirt and when he looked through it there were two more targets in there...two SLQ's.
He never dug an SLQ before, never found a silver coin spill or even 3 silver coins on one hunt either so he is flying high on this one.
A rare find for any of us plus he had dates on both of the standers so a bonus.
Try this method sometime, couldn't hurt but it may work for you too.

Attachments

• IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digger, you mention if the machine gets too chattery to back off, but wouldn't a maxed out disc quiet things down? Even on a non DST unit like the f70, or patriot?

Or is this still an issue at some sites? I guess the frequency shift could also help in tandem with lowering gain some too.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Digger, you mention if the machine gets too chattery to back off, but wouldn't a maxed out disc quiet things down? Even on a non DST unit like the f70, or patriot?

Or is this still an issue at some sites? I guess the frequency shift could also help in tandem with lowering gain some too.

I used these same settings today in a lawn I have been hitting hard and now is starting to dry up
Most everything you see in this pic came from there except for a couple which I got from another area in a park I have scoured for over 2 years using the big DD coil.
99 on the sense and + 9 on the thresh most of the day but there were times I had to bring it down a bit because of extra chatter from WiFi or something.
The quieter it is the more the good signals stand out so even though I can deal with tons of noise and chatter I still notice things easier in quieter environments.
Most of these targets were really quick so if I wasn't on my toes and moving that coil real slow I would have missed them.
One old wheat at 5-6" with some kind of huge iron deeper under it was real quick but my sense at 78 and thresh at +6 on that one so the good tone stood out from the high tone falsing i usually get around all the iron I hunt in...even in these lawns.
Adjust as you see fit but I think the high disc is the important thing here, plus monotone and the thresh is too if you can adjust it higher and the gain level brings up the rear.

4 older wheats going back to 1919 three of them green, my oldest dog tag from the 50's, a tax token and some sort of cool old token that only has that old script number 25 on both sides.
I have no idea what is going on with that token but it seems old and it is cool.

Missed most if them in previous hunts but today, with these settings, it was easy.

Attachments

• user10659_pic75851_1499208722.jpg
    user10659_pic75851_1499208722.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I found more when using the monotone for the short period I did. I'd go high on sens, 0 disc, and screen watch. Found a bunch of old faint signaled dimes that way. Like you said though, so many ways to run these machines you gotta try others. Plus, when things get super noisey, it's nice to run some disc. or at least 2f to break the monotonous beeps.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nice finds. I found more when using the monotone for the short period I did. I'd go high on sens, 0 disc, and screen watch. Found a bunch of old faint signaled dimes that way. Like you said though, so many ways to run these machines you gotta try others. Plus, when things get super noisey, it's nice to run some disc. or at least 2f to break the monotonous beeps.

I use 2F for woods hunting, or it was my favorite in one particular woods site that was a recreation area for horse riders going back to the 1800's.
Tons of horseshoes, horseshoe nails and other iron garbage in those woods.
Sometimes I use 1F just for the modulation and I still use 4H sweeping cleaner, quieter parks for coins and jewelry...especially when I have the 10" concentric coil mounted because signals sound extra sweet in multi tones on that coil.
Mostly I use all metal or monotone in disc because they both work well in my problem dirt and I have been switching to DP a lot lately but it is a bit noisier than monotone around EMI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread