I am having problems with my Fisher 1280x 10" Aquanaut sensitivity, ask me a Question

Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Auqanaut 10"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am having problems with my Fisher 1280x 10" Aquanaut sensitivity, ask me a Question

I can detect on dry sand well with high sensitivity , but when I am on wet sand it throws all kinds of erratic signals until I turn the sensitivity to near 1 or 2. Is the sensitivity reading minerals? I seem to still be able to pick up targets fairly deep with sensitivity low . I am just wondering what to make of this machine . I am guessing land hunting is not it's main function. I like that the control box comes off and I can mount it to a backstrap or shoulder strap. this makes the swinging easier. If anyone has any knowledge of the 1280x I would appreciate some advice. I seem to be getting weird stuttering as well it is strange . It seems to get stuck in a static stuttering effect. Any words of advice?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 1280X is a single freq. 2.4 KHz detector and will struggle in the salt water and wet salt sand.
Did you ever have it work well in the Salt water/wetsand ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
H
Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Auqanaut 10"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found many aluminum can pieces as well as a few shipwreck steel pieces , some small and deep. The problem is the sensitivity goes crazy in the et sand and needs adjusted. I feel like I am missing some targets because of background scatter. I am guessing this is a in the water detector only. Thank you for the response. I appreciate the information.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Humble
Talk to some of the other guys on the beach that have metal detectors...ask them what is going on,but i think you have the wrong detector for Salt, Multi- frequency detectors are made for Salt.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is completely normal for the Fisher 1280X. It is a Freshwater machine. Like all single-frequency VLF machines, it struggles in wet saltwater sand as it tries to see the entire beach as a target. Decreasing your gain (sensitivity), is the only tool you have. :skullflag:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend with 1280 had same probs in salt - had to let him borrow one of my back up CZ21s - (I own 3)
1280 great in fresh - very tough in salt if not impossible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread