relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So I got my f75 this past September, to add to my Omega, my Minelab xterra 705, and Minelab safari.
Then when the Minelab Equinox was announced, I decided I really wanted one. Having not the financial
Flexibility to just order it, I sold my Safari and xterra.
Now I am left with the Omega and f75, and will
receive my Equinox in late January as I preordered
It early on so should be among the first to get one.
I think the f75 is spectacular detector an satisfies just about all my detecting needs. I liked the xterra very much and while the Safari is a fine machine, I think it was not the best detector for my style of detecting, which is relic and woods hunting. The Safari really shines as a deep coin machine.

I think like the f75, I'm really going to like the equinox. What I'm wondering is where and when I will prefer the f75, and where and when I will prefer
the equinox.

Any thoughts?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say since the Equinox isn't out there for real reviews. Im just guessing the minelab with be better in hotter soil and obviously water hunting.

If the equinox is really as "fast" as they claim it may just live up to making a top detector obsolete. I've heard people that have handled both the fisher and minelab say that the f75 is still more comfortable. Maybe be a better choice for longer durations? I'm also very interested in the new minelab and may try it out. I'd really like first texas to come out with something new.

Got my fingers crossed!

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in pretty much the same position. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on the F75 and for my needs (relics and coins) it really is awesome. Im also ready to order the Equinox. I posted in another thread that the line "the equinox will make all other single frequency detectors obsolete" is to be taken with a pinch of salt. The F75 won't stop working when the equinox is released....ha ha.
In answer to your question - the beach and deep(ish) water. Thats where the F75 cant go. But recently I thought maybe I could just get a little orange 'scuba tector'? Trying to think realistically about how much I will use the equinox.
Im also slightly concerned about the balance of the equinox....Weight is important to me. I have spent alot of hours on about 6 or 7 other machines over the years and the F75 is comfortable as anything. Powerful, super economic on batteries and has all the bugs ironed out after such a long production run. DST is excellent.
The shortish charge time of the equinox may possibly be a limiting factor also. Sometimes I leave early AM drive a long distance and detect for 12 or 14 hours - about twice the length of time as the stated equinox battery life.
I borrowed a whites PI machine last year and discovered just how challenging chest deep sea hunting can be in anything but the calmest of conditions. Can the equinox stay all day at its specified depth?

Chub

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im in pretty much the same position. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours on the F75 and for my needs (relics and coins) it really is awesome. Im also ready to order the Equinox. I posted in another thread that the line "the equinox will make all other single frequency detectors obsolete" is to be taken with a pinch of salt. The F75 won't stop working when the equinox is released....ha ha.
In answer to your question - the beach and deep(ish) water. Thats where the F75 cant go. But recently I thought maybe I could just get a little orange 'scuba tector'? Trying to think realistically about how much I will use the equinox.
Im also slightly concerned about the balance of the equinox....Weight is important to me. I have spent alot of hours on about 6 or 7 other machines over the years and the F75 is comfortable as anything. Powerful, super economic on batteries and has all the bugs ironed out after such a long production run. DST is excellent.
The shortish charge time of the equinox may possibly be a limiting factor also. Sometimes I leave early AM drive a long distance and detect for 12 or 14 hours - about twice the length of time as the stated equinox battery life.
I borrowed a whites PI machine last year and discovered just how challenging chest deep sea hunting can be in anything but the calmest of conditions. Can the equinox stay all day at its specified depth?

Chub

That's something I've also been pondering with the Nox.

How many bugs will need to be ironed out before it's the best version of itself? Might not be any....may be a bunch. That's why I'm trying to be patient. Plus, like you said....no shortage in finds with the Fish.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The long battery life of the f75 is truly astounding, especially having owned a Minelab safari that literally gobbles up
AA batteries. The 10-12 hours you get per full charge on the equinox should be long enough for me as my detecting
Sessions rarely exceed 4-5 hours. But
just to have it covered I bought a 9000 mAh charger that I will attach under the
arm cuff where it will allow the equinox
to charge during use, but not be attached to me. Mounted at the top end
The small added weight will not harm
balance which would be nose heavy if
anything.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm really boring. I've had two detectors in the past 20 years. I'm still learning the F75 - though I had it updated - and see no need to replace it until I have stepped above what it can do.

Which may never happen.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm really boring. I've had two detectors in the past 20 years. I'm still learning the F75 - though I had it updated - and see no need to replace it until I have stepped above what it can do.

Which may never happen.

you're not boring Charlie, and I bet there are few that know the f75 as well as you

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Equinox is still untested by us lowly mortals. It will be a wait and see game. Always take both detectors with you on any given trip. I do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread