Time Is On My Side

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I am a detectorist from way back, just getting back into the hobby after a long break.
I did not start off like most newbies, as there was no resource like this website then. You had to find the address of manufacturers and read Treasure magazines to learn anything.
So, I started out with a Grand Master Hunter CX III. It was a bit intimidating, and I later traded it towards a Fisher 1225, then to a CZ 6a. I traded the CZ for a Minelab Excal and Explorer, which I eventually traded off and now have a GTAx 550, a CZ 70 Pro, a 1280x Aquanaut, a Fisher M66, a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, an MPx Digital, and a couple of Harbor Freight cheapies.
I have questions.
I want to get a couple new detectors, but my conscience is nagging me.
I like the Fisher F44. I also like the Minelab Go-Find 66 as a trunk detector.
It seems detectors have improved. But, has it made my old detectors obsolete?
Fishers CZ series is legend. They are still valued. My CZ was built before Fisher merged. Has Fisher lost anything since that happened?
I regret losing my CZ 6a, so would I regret losing my CZ Pro now? I miss my CX III too. Has technology passed it by?
I notice that metal detectorists have the peculiar quality of hoarding many detectors. So, its not just me.
What do you think guys? Would you add to the total? Trade? Stay with what I got? And why?
Is the GMH III still a good detector? How about the CZ 70 Pro?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The main thing I see happening with detectors these days that seems to open sites up is recovery speed. I'd be interested in learning about the "speed" of the older machines you listed. Were you looking to water hunt?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
any one of those a pi machine? I am looking for one for beach vacations and only care that it works

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
I think I would pick out something different for the "trunk detector"...:hello:

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Well, I have several reasons for that choice.
One, you want a truck/trunk detector to be rugged. I have a Fisher M66, which is an industrial detector, made to withstand a wide range of temperature, but its pretty Spartan, not even I aheadphone jack.
Regular detectors are bulky when assembled, and vulnerable to damage. If kept boxed and broken down, its a chore, and time consuming to assemble, and you may never assemble it and take advantage, and the opportunity is lost.
With the Go-Find, it folds small, and you can toss it in a backpack with a trowel, and go. The thing is unfolded and ready to go in seconds.
Als0, while it may not be a CTX, it IS a Minelab and not junk.
I did talk to Minelab, and was told it should be Ok in the trunk, as long as not left in sunlight.
A gun owner will tell you, :its better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have it"
This came true for me.
I was on the other side of town where I used to live, on the main road, and drove by a gas station that was being torn down, including the asphalt.
Its an old area, and I quickly turned around, grabbed my detector and hunted.
Within minutes, I found an 1868 dime!
I stayed awhile longer, and came back twice more before it was repaved, but the dime was my only score.
I had been returning from a hunt elsewhere, and just happened to have a detector with me, assembled and ready.
It convinced me of the value of a trunk detector.
The Minelab fits the bill, is not expensive, and is not junk. Its a Minelab.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a Fisher F2 with a nel sharpshooter coil in my vehicle for those random targets of opportunity. Being in Northern Ohio the present GB on the F2 does fine.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a Fisher F2 with a nel sharpshooter coil in my vehicle for those random targets of opportunity. Being in Northern Ohio the present GB on the F2 does fine.

Interesting,...been thinking about a trunk machine myself down the road. Maybe a used eurotek pro/liberator/f2/f5/Mojave/ ,..........there is a lot that would qualify that could be picked up like new pretty cheap that would be a great trunk machine for me. May need to start a thread..."Whats your trunk machine??"

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I cant remember who makes it, but there is another maker who has something similar to the Go-Find in that it folds. Its a standard style detector, but the coil and box fold to make it more compact. I like that idea in a detector that lives in my trunk.

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant remember who makes it, but there is another maker who has something similar to the Go-Find in that it folds. Its a standard style detector, but the coil and box fold to make it more compact. I like that idea in a detector that lives in my trunk.

That could be something to consider.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You may be talking about the Go Find that were sold under the "National Geographic" name.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Interesting,...been thinking about a trunk machine myself down the road. Maybe a used eurotek pro/liberator/f2/f5/Mojave/ ,..........there is a lot that would qualify that could be picked up like new pretty cheap that would be a great trunk machine for me. May need to start a thread..."Whats your trunk machine??"

I think trunk detectors are common among hobbyists.
For one thing, we seem to have a compulsion to collect detectors. I guess its partly because the hobby has always had a focused outlook, making different detectors for different specialties, such as beach, gold, etc. Hobbyists are always searching for that perfect tool.
A trunk detector is another category, with its own specifics. I think manufacturers are missing a bet here. Lots of detectors could fill the role, but not exactly.
You want a rugged one, because it will have to deal with temperature extremes, and being knocked around in the car. You want acceptable performance, but you would feel uncomfortable hauling around your $1000 plus sweetheart.
Lots of entry to mid level detectors would qualify, or even a used top end detector.
I personally like the Go-Find, because it folds. A regular detector takes a lot of space when assembled, and you don't want your son dropping a case of water on it. But if you disassemble and pack it, you will have to remove and assemble it to use it, and that will lessen your opportunities. The Go-Find folds small, and can be unfolded and folded in seconds, and its not a toy, its a Minelab. It has acceptable capabilities.
I emailed Minelab about it, and requested they make a waterproof version, which would expand the opportunities, but they seem uninterested.
There are other detectors that could work. Fisher makes some industrial detectors that are made to resist high and low temperature environments. They also have what they call archeology detectors, one of which goes for $1800, but they don't seem to be all that different, and they are fairly expensive and kind of bare bones in features. High cost is not a feature of trunk detectors. But there are plenty of low cost detectors and used detectors that will give acceptable performance.
We should start a campaign with the manufacturers to produce a targeted trunk detector. Rugged, able to survive temperature extremes. Foldable, waterproof and acceptable performance, and uses coils commonly available. Garrett could modify an Ace for this.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
You may be talking about the Go Find that were sold under the "National Geographic" name.

That's possible.
I don't know which Go-Find version they sell. The original Go-Find was said to be rather flimsy, and Minelab has already released a redesign.
The Go-Find has qualities that help qualify as a trunk detector, but no single detector seems ideal right now.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I've too many detectors, but each of them works wonderfully and competitively with modern detectors without all the whiz bang graphics. I dug dimes at 10" with my 1260X in the early to mid 80's, and it would walk right through a field of nails. The real evolution that I see is multiple frequencies - but then when swinging the sounds can be quite overwhelming - very different from single frequency machines. But they're great detectors as well, and of course more expensive.

Even with the evolution in technology, the hobby still centers around repeatable signals. Sometimes there a little nuances in a signal , but you dig it anyway and just found a keeper.

To be honest, and no insult to Minelab, I do not recall any postings here which were really positive about the Go Find series. Maybe most purchasers aren't on TNet? Or didn't care to say....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread