jimmerp

Greenie
Apr 27, 2018
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Tesoro sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi guys, I am wondering how your F75 rings up higher carat rings vs 10k. I get 10k rings by the sound and the range of the numbers on my screen. The combination being the key as the numbers jump high teens to mid thirties. What have your experiences been with the higher carat gold? IMG_20180406_205354_646.jpg

Last edited:

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hi guys, I am wondering how your F75 rings up higher carat rings vs 10k. I get 10k rings by the sound and the range of the numbers on my screen. The combination being the key as the numbers jump high teens to mid thirties. What have your experiences been with the higher carat gold?

Higher karat gold might come in higher than lower karat gold but I have found some 24k gold and discovered this isn't always true.
This ring came in between 28-30 on two Fishers and look at the buttery color...It tests to 22k but that is as high as my acids go.
It is way to soft to be anything less than 24k.

photostudio_1524941647534.jpg

A friend found a smaller ring in a different shape than this one marked.999...It came in at the dime area on several detectors.

Sorry to burst your bubble but all gold and where it comes in has more to do with the size, weight, shape and configuration and how it is laying in the dirt than the karat purity.
Also depth and masking metals can easily come into play, also.
Think about this, a $1 American gold coin and a $20 coin are both pretty much the same high karat purity but the smaller dollar coin comes in at the foil range whereas the big one will be the quarter/half dollar range.

If you are aiming for 10k gold and believe it only comes in between those teens and mid thirty numbers you could be missing a ton.
It is true that higher karat gold can and should come in higher than a similar sized item in lower k but as I said I have found this isn't always true, either.

Here are 5 targets that all came in between 48-52 on Fishers.
That is can slaw territory, not much I know of that is any good comes in at those numbers most of the time...but these did.
All 10k, too

View attachment 1583701

Here are a couple of pics of most of the gold I have found and all were tested with either an F2 or an F70.
The F70 or your F75 would come in real close to the F2 range but due to the higher frequency they might be a number or two off but no more than than that.

They are mixed between 10 and 14k except for that pearl ring and the Neena one.
As I said the size matters more...many small 14k rings come in lower than bigger 10k rings.

View attachment 1583702
photostudio_1524946667076.jpg

One more thing to make it even more frustrating.
There could be a big difference between white gold and yellow gold too and nothing is in stone here either because there can be different alloys used to make that white gold color.
Here are two of the same style wedding rings I have found called channel rings.
Very common, I have found two others in the same style also with ice.
The bigger one by two sizes is the white gold one on the left, if the one on the right was much bigger it would have come in at the 40's and higher than those mid 30's you mentioned.
Both of these are also 10k.

photostudio_1524944701494.jpg

I also use tones and numbers to hunt for gold but much more than that I use behavior I have observed in all these gold pieces I have found.
I dug all this gold because of that specific behavior, the numbers they comes in at and the sound I heard were way down the line in importance.
Gold can come in from iron all the way up to quarter/half dollar numbers...It just can and does.
You can't really categorize it by karat purity or believe there is any really specific range of numbers any gold exists at consistantly when it comes to jewelry.
Coins, maybe...jewelry, not a chance.
The universe just isn't going to make it that easy for us jewelry hunters as nice as that would be if it did.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimmerp

Greenie
Apr 27, 2018
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the short time with my machine, I dig everything that is at the upper end of iron, all the way to where silver coins hit with gold in mind Depending on how the sound and bounce of VDI... I got my machine this March and I have four gold rings and 4 silver from the trashy built in the Eighties park I have hunted.
Explain what you mean by behaviour ? When I talk about the combo of sound and display indicating gold as opposed to say old cigarette foil or a pull tab, Its how the sound starts and finishes and where the numbers jump between on the display. Not one of the gold rings was a sold number when it was found all bounced between lower foils( teens) to mid nickels..the F 75 goes from 0 to 99 each of the rings was jumpy but the sound was like nothing else i had dug before

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only dug 6 gold items since I started in 2014. The one thing they had in common was they all rang up with a solid target ID even when I swung over them in another direction.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot on. A solid 48 -52 VDI on the F75 is where my gold rings come in. Normally bang on 50. (even for white gold)

chub

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the ring is a silver alloy then a 10K may read higher (more conductive) than a 22K or 24K.

But I would say based on the rings I have dug that a ring lying flat reads more consistently that one on edge. And gold chains bounce all over - usually with a "click" if one end is away from the rest. Normally a "junk" indicator.

OP
OP
J

jimmerp

Greenie
Apr 27, 2018
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image.jpeg this is the latest, older ring by the style. Nice stone but I Am sure it's synthetic due to the 10k stamp. This was about 7inches and bounced from 19to 37 on the vdi, but the tone was steady (I use the dp tone)

TrippinBilly

Dec 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting back into MD'ing with a used upgraded F75. I've probably only put in 25-30 hours so far. No gold yet :-)

I'm wondering what the confidence meter shows on gold you all have found and dug? Some have said there is a variance/jump in VDI, some have said the VDI is fairly stable. I'm wondering if there is any solid pattern with gold and the F75 confidence indicator?

--thanks

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
For me the VDI as always been solid and stable which is why they got dug.
I never look at the confidence meter so can't help you there, sorry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread