I guess I don't play well with others.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the beach again today, nothing special, not even a dollar. Couple of junk earrings, six fishing hooks, you're welcome beachgoers. I did get one little medallion looks to be religious and silver. Now, on to the topic at hand. I'm hunting maybe 15 or 20 minutes when I see another detectorist coming up quick. Now I'm working a grid around a lifeguard tower down by the water line. This guy comes up, asks me if I'd found anything good and then proceeds to jump into my grid at the end, in the direction I'm headed, and he starts detecting. Effectively cutting me off of my path. Oh well, whatever, lots of beach here I'll move down 50 yards. So I moved down about fifty yards and begin detecting again. The next thing I know this guy is right on my butt, passes me up then jumps in my line again!!!!!! Fine, I'll go back to my original grid and pick that up again. Okay, this has got to be a joke right? I'm looking around for cameras, I know I'm being punked because I look up and this blankety-blank is on my butt again. I can't shake this guy. All right mr. Equinox 800, let's see how much he likes the fact that I just pulled a dime, a nickel and 2 pennies out of a miniature Grand canyon he just left in the beach. so I intercept him this time and ask him what exactly it is he's hunting for. He looks at me wondering why I'm asking that when I show him the money and tell him that I just pulled this out of the sand pile he left on the beach next to the big hole he just dug and didn't bother filling back in. that was the ticket, no response, just turned on his heels and off he went into the distance down the beach. I'll include a couple of pictures of the holes he left on the beach that I was filling in behind him as I went along. I don't know if this guy just stepped off the short bus or what he was thinking. Three freaking times he jumps into my line and cuts me off after chasing me South down the beach then back North up the beach and then back south down the beach again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190130_140021397.jpg
    IMG_20190130_140021397.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20190130_103924515.jpg
    IMG_20190130_103924515.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20190130_101926610.jpg
    IMG_20190130_101926610.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20190130_101910958.jpg
    IMG_20190130_101910958.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 137
OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the detectorists in the photo is the guy that cut into my line three times, after the third time I decided to take his picture. If you recognize yourself, don't do that anymore. If you're detecting and see this guy coming while working Huntington Beach, well, you got a good idea what's going to happen.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am sure you are perfectly fine with others.

Unfortunately the dolt you encountered will only ruin the reputation of respectful MD’ers.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have taken 40 or 50 more pictures of the holes he left all over the beach but I was there to detect not photo shoot.

Lunch Bag

Dec 23, 2018
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would have taken 40 or 50 more pictures of the holes he left all over the beach but I was there to detect not photo shoot.

Personally I would have called him on it and used it as a teaching moment.

Unfilled holes are just an accident waiting to happen.

Someone gets injured and they could close the beach to all MD’ers.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my encounter with him he was way too far down the beach, I just filled his holes as I went along.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I may have the answer to this riddle. BRICKS........it sounds as though he was a few shy of a full load. You did good in ditching him.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, etiguette and common sense are not understood by a huge percentage of our population, no matter what the activity is. I am always baffled by the mentality of someone that feels that beer bottles are supposed to be thrown out of a canoe as they float down a pristine trout stream as opposed to taking it with them. The same goes for the bozos that leave holes and trash when they detect.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Cr*p like that has ruined a few fun days for me as well. I go to Seal and Huntington as well. I always keep my distance. If someone is doing the wet, I go do the dry, etc.
May stop to say Hi and introduce myself. I guess some people are just clueless. I'm with you on the holes issue. I've had to do the same.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not trying to be an ass but the only conclusion I can come to at this point is that he was purposely stepping in my line with hopes of finding a ring that I may have been on to. Cutting in your line once is an accident, twice is anything but an accident, but three times? I know he was just hoping to score big right in front of me so he could go woohoo. Instead I end up cleaning out the holes he's already dug as he's leaving money behind. I mean it's not rocket science, think about it, do you want somebody to do that to you? No?, Then don't do it to other people. As far as leaving all the holes unburied? yeah that's kind of ridiculous when it only takes 3 seconds to kick the scoop back in the hole. As I looked down the beach it was like walking through a prairie dog town.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guy probably fishes the same way. Huge area to fish in, parks himself right next door to you.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Some people are just a piece of s#it.

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you ever think the guy was new and was just looking for friendship or even advice? With open holes he certainly needed advice.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus he apparently doesn't know how to use his machine. I run into holes at the beach often, and I fill them in.

OP
OP
sws33

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He had plenty of opportunity to ask for any advice when we first spoke. at the time I had told him I had not found anything worth mentioning today but a couple days prior had found a carbide ring. He seemed interested in that but turned and Left without saying a whole lot more. believe me, when given the chance I love talking to other detectorists and helping them when I can. I even gave a guy a sand scoop not a month ago who was struggling with some little kitty shovel. This guy was not after my advice, he was after whatever it is I was looking for.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately, etiguette and common sense are not understood by a huge percentage of our population, no matter what the activity is. I am always baffled by the mentality of someone that feels that beer bottles are supposed to be thrown out of a canoe as they float down a pristine trout stream as opposed to taking it with them. The same goes for the bozos that leave holes and trash when they detect.
I think that a lot of these folks are related, and their family tree has no branches. Wait a second, in the distance......what is that sound? Is that banjo music?

Zip Zip

Dec 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
their are some people that just have to have it all. They want to find all the cool stuff before anyone else can find it. they zoom ahead of you swinging like Zoro (wide zig zag passes with no coil overlap ). I have that happen all the time during club hunts. They want to find it all and win all of the prizes that are available. I said "EF IT" to club hunts and hunt on my own. Being retired makes hunting during the week a blast :) .

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this is a sad story but fortunately for me I have met way more nice people in this hobby than those who have no clue!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen the "Z" pattern folks a lot while digging. They don't generally do very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread