Florida County Park Rules (against detecting?)

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you have a good point. I guess I need to be a little more confident about this situation.
The only thing that they could pull is that it is by the permission of the County Administrator that I am able to detect... and of course he could say "no" if he wants. But I'm going to need more of a "reason" that's backed with a law or something to that effect than just a flat out "no", or I'm going to need to speak with someone else that's over him. I just have a hard time that someone with their bachelors degree in History would tell someone in our hobby that we can't do it... but the people under him, I'm not too surprised.

Bran <><

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bran, you stated in your letter to him that you could detect beaches "from the high tide line to the dunes"... It is the low tide line, if I am not mistaken... High tide line to dune would leave a pretty small strip to hunt on many beaches...
I had no idea that your county was such a "jerk" administration county.... I cant believe the drivel for page after page of their rules.. Someone really thinks highly of themselves, almost a "God Complex" of sorts... It is really sad...
Good luck, and hopefully you can get through to someone in "power".... Make sure to point out, with pictures would be best, of a spot you have dug, and all the squirrel holes that are throughout the parks... Maybe ask, "are we MD'ers blamed for what the squirrels do?"

SS

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, and I forgot to add.... I would like to know (from their lousy perspective) why one could not hunt for surface coins/jewelry, etc?
That wouldnt be any different than people just walking around the park, or walking with a cane or walking stick... They do have to treat people equally, that is a federal law.. And just to say you cant be there because you have a metal detector is wrong and singles out certain people from others, thus keeping them from enjoying the park... Illegal..
It amazes me how they go after us.. Jealous buggers.. I mean really, alcohol is illegal, yet how many beer tops do we find in all of the parks? They dont seem to enforce that law, but heaven forbid a guy with a detector... They are on you like flies on, well, you know...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Don't ask, Don't tell" :wink: If there is no sign saying no I hunt...... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
"Don't ask, Don't tell" :wink: If there is no sign saying no I hunt...... :icon_thumright:

That's normally my motto too... but what do you do when you're asked/told to leave?
I wasn't told to leave, but the other T-Net guy (the day after me) and his buddy was.
If I go back and get asked to leave, that's just begging for them to try and crack down on us all.
Just how I see it I guess.

Bran <><

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
Bran, you stated in your letter to him that you could detect beaches "from the high tide line to the dunes"... It is the low tide line, if I am not mistaken... High tide line to dune would leave a pretty small strip to hunt on many beaches...
I had no idea that your county was such a "jerk" administration county.... I cant believe the drivel for page after page of their rules.. Someone really thinks highly of themselves, almost a "God Complex" of sorts... It is really sad...
Good luck, and hopefully you can get through to someone in "power".... Make sure to point out, with pictures would be best, of a spot you have dug, and all the squirrel holes that are throughout the parks... Maybe ask, "are we MD'ers blamed for what the squirrels do?"

SS

I don't know... I just know it's the tide line. I just figured it was whatever line that it was at while I was there. But anyway, if that's the case... why are there so many water detectorists, yet no one makes any mention of that (I've always wondered)?

And to be honest, I did notice a BUNCH of good size holes while I was there at the park... I figured it was either a squirrel, even though they looked a bit large or a squirrel... or maybe a turtle? There was this other thing I saw at that park that looked like a squirrel when it ran, but when it stood up it looked exactly like a weasel... size and all. It was the weirdest little thing...

Bran <><

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

That's normally my motto too... but what do you do when you're asked/told to leave?
I wasn't told to leave, but the other T-Net guy (the day after me) and his buddy was.
If I go back and get asked to leave, that's just begging for them to try and crack down on us all.
Just how I see it I guess.

Bran <><

Sorry, I did not mean to pharse it to imply you were wrong, just stating my motto....If I am asked to leave, I will just return at another time, unless and until the police are called in....

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Sorry, I did not mean to pharse it to imply you were wrong, just stating my motto....If I am asked to leave, I will just return at another time, unless and until the police are called in....

It's ok, I know you didn't. This whole tizzy just has me a bit flustered, that's all.
I really would like to go back though. And I guess I do know where another plantation home was located at... and I might be able to pick up some nicer relics, now that I've got this Explorer. :dontknow:

Bran <><

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,266612.msg1898696.html#msg1898696

Sovereign62 said:
I found out that ALL inland Pinellas County (not city) parks do not allow metal detecting of any kind without written permission from a "county administrator". This is per county regulation 90-5. The only park which specifically mentions detecting seems to be Fort Desoto and requires a permit from the park office. I'm working on getting future permission for a "county administrator" but we will see on that one.

It's more specifically 90-5 (e) that states the rule about the County Administrator... I found it earlier this week on the Municipalities website. I'm going to set a meeting with him when I return from the hunt in KS. Thanks for the head's up though...

Bran <><

TheSeeker2

May 28, 2010
Back in the 80's our govt viewed all hot spots in the USA by satellite during the hours of 12 noon and 4 pm suspecting that those hot spots were gold/silver deposits and they built state parks and military installations on these sites and forbid US citizens from metal detecting and digging there. But recently the govt has lifted this rule and has stated that they would receive close to half the monetary value of our finds when we cashed our valuable finds in for money, so they don't care if we use metal detectors on the beaches or in the sea. Of course they don't want us to dig or damage the sand dunes or the sea oats on the beach that prevent erosion. I just recently detected a large cache of silver over three feet deep in the sand at very low tide, 5 ft x 5 ft and dug down two feet with two shovels. Then used the shovel to prod down further and the suction in the sand made it very hard to retrieve this shovel, then I sank my left hand down into the sand up to my elbow and felt around with my hand and had a very hard time removing my hand once I only found pieces of shell. My Garrett 2500 detector only detects a depth of 20 ft in water and out of water. I gave up after the three feet depth that I explored and knew that it would take say maybe a large suction hose (wet vac) to retrieve this large cache of silver whatever that I detected plus I don't have the funds to attempt extraction of this without some financial backers. It could be a treasure chest or a cluster of coins.

OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...or it could be a flattened coke can. I just dug one at 2-1/2 feet from the low tide line a month or so ago. It was the old style coke can with the pull ring top. Anyway, you only need a good hand scoop to get a deep signal.

And gold... yeah, if I found it... I wouldn't be trading it in for worthless cash.

Bran <><

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TheSeeker2 said:
Back in the 80's our govt viewed all hot spots in the USA by satellite during the hours of 12 noon and 4 pm suspecting that those hot spots were gold/silver deposits and they built state parks and military installations on these sites and forbid US citizens from metal detecting and digging there.

Where did you get this information from? ::) If this was the case, why wasn't the entire Treasure coast built as a state park, for that matter why isn't it one state park from Keys to Jacksonville? :icon_scratch:

TheSeeker2 said:
But recently the govt has lifted this rule and has stated that they would receive close to half the monetary value of our finds when we cashed our valuable finds in for money, so they don't care if we use metal detectors on the beaches or in the sea.

It's called income tax, the federal income tax was first enacted in 1862 to support the Union's Civil War effort. (War Of Northern Aggression) It was eliminated in 1872, then revived in 1894, then declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court the following year. In 1913, the 16th Amendment to the Constitution made the income tax a permanent fixture in the U.S. tax system.

TheSeeker2 said:
I just recently detected a large cache of silver over three feet deep in the sand at very low tide, 5 ft x 5 ft and dug down two feet with two shovels. Then used the shovel to prod down further and the suction in the sand made it very hard to retrieve this shovel, then I sank my left hand down into the sand up to my elbow and felt around with my hand and had a very hard time removing my hand once I only found pieces of shell. My Garrett 2500 detector only detects a depth of 20 ft in water and out of water. I gave up after the three feet depth that I explored and knew that it would take say maybe a large suction hose (wet vac) to retrieve this large cache of silver whatever that I detected plus I don't have the funds to attempt extraction of this without some financial backers. It could be a treasure chest or a cluster of coins.

20 feet depth? More then likely it was aluminum pieces.....I have pulled pieces of aluminum off of beach chairs from 2 feet deep that rang like it was on the surface....

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who've had a run in with the park ranger at the Madeira Beach access like I've had, please look at this. Park Ranger "John" says we can't detect on park property but including the wet and dry sand. However from what I've found by simply looking at the county tax appraiser's web site, they don't own the sand! I will be sure Park Ranger "John" sees this next time I'm there. Countypark1.jpg countypark2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
godisnum1

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're allowed to detect on the dry sand of any public beach, from the tide line to the dune line. Anything other than that is, I'm sure, up to whatever officer is around at that time. I don't ever seeing water detecting being monitored though. I don't care for beach detecting much anymore anyway.

Bran <><

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was the reply I received this morning from the county directer. It appears this have been straightened out for now!
DC

Mr. Duerden:

County Administrator Mark Woodard has asked me to respond to your inquiry regarding metal detecting. Based on information you relayed in your e-mail, it appears the ranger you spoke to has a misunderstanding regarding our procedure on metal detecting. The department ONLY allows metal detecting on sandy beaches within county parks and beach accesses between the high water line and the toe of the dune. There is no permit or other special authorization required fo

r metal detecting in these areas.

Any other metal detecting within an upland area of a park requires special permission, and is usually only granted to assist in the recovery of a lost valuable, such as a wedding or engagement ring. I will clarify this information with our park rangers so there will be no further misunderstandings in the future. Should you have any problems in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Sincerely,
Paul Cozzie
Bureau Director
Pinellas County Parks and Conservation Resources
12520 Ulmerton Road
Largo, FL 33774
Phone (727) 582-2502
Fax (727) 582-2505
[email protected]

Follow Pinellas County:

www.pinellascounty.org
Subscribe to county updates and newsAll government correspondence is subject to the public records law.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions