bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings. My wife and I are working on planning a vacation and she wants to go to the Keys. I have never been there before but lived in Panama City Beach for 12 years. I am curious to know if there is any problems metal detecting in the keys or anyone have any suggestions to locations I might try. With all the protected areas I am not sure if metal detecting is even allowed. If not I might have to rethink about where to plan a vacation. Thanks for your help and happy hunting.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are only a few beaches, and I am sure you can detect there. There is 1 in Marathon, and a couple in and near Key West. All are not real nice beaches. There is a beach on Bahia Honda, but that is a State park, so possibly you cant detect it. It is an OK beach. Many other beaches in Florida are a lot nicer. The water are all part of the Florida Keys Preserve, and anything at all old is considered historic and cant be taken.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
I do it all the time as I've lived in key west my entire life. There are laws to follow but possible to md lots of places!!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it all the time as I've lived in key west my entire life. There are laws to follow but possible to md lots of places!!

I've been there a lot, and it's a small place. I want to ask you if it's been cleaned right out. What sort of places is OK to hunt, and what are the chances?

fayeram2110

Greenie
Jul 23, 2012
West palm beach fl.
Detector(s) used
Blunter hunter 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wetfly said:

How can someone find the laws on MD in there area?

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Usually if you are from the high tide line inward there isn't any issue at all and in remote areas I always get wet at least a little-- cops are really clueless and you will generally get a different answer every time you ask -- also the supposed rule is in the water if it's older than fifty years leave it but I just can't see someone putting that piece of 8 back! Lots of land sites like parks an vacant lots-- mangrove shorelines can sometimes produce olive jars under the roots!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread