Metal detecting on the beach in Florida?

GeauxLSU

Apr 2, 2013
Baton Rouge, La
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Pinellas County for twenty or so years (most of my life). I have seen people metal detecting before, but usually it would be only at two or three beaches in the area, which leads me to believe that counties have different laws about it. Possibly even each beach has its own law. You and I both know how the crooked politics work down there. Your best bet might be to go to one of the courthouses and look through the databases for some type of list

Rafdog

Feb 15, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Is it legal throughout the state or do I need to check with each individual county? Do I need to obtain a permit? I'm new here so forgive me if this has been discussed before but I just bought a brand new metal detector and will be coming to Port Charlotte in June and want to use my new toy on the beach.

Where are you detecting? On public beaches, no permit required. Just follow the rules posted of not disturbing the dunes. On private property you need permission from the owner. Federal property typically the answer is no. Areas deemed of national historic value, absolutely not. If you are going to try a FL State Park, you might want to talk to a park ranger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread