What do do when its too hot?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do do when it's too hot?

Wow! Today it was near 100 degrees.

I'm not complaining, just learning why the siesta is mid-day.

I've only lived in Florida for 5 years. This Yankee can't stand watching beautiful days go by and not go out in it.

So now it's up and out before dawn, and pass the bug spray, please. A couple hours outside and I'm a hot mess. In for a couple hours, a cool shower, wait for a bearable temperature in the afternoon. Last night at 10pm it was still 77 degrees.

I'm dreaming of my winter break so I can go out and dirt fish all day.

How do you deal with this heat?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early morning, try to stay under tree later on, and don't forget the insect repellant. There's some kind of cool towel on the market, saw it at Lowes might get one.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good wide brim hat, sun screen, insect repellant, sweat a lot and load the cooler with fluids.................

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it can be nice and sunny outside which can obscure it's deadly component. Heat can kill, I've had heat stroke 3 times and it comes on easier the more times you've had it. I've been digging with other guys in the hot and humid SE US summers when two of them were struck down with heat stroke. So, take it easy out there, pace yourself, and take a lot of water breaks in the shade. Try water hunting, maybe the Florida sharks, snakes, and gators will leave you alone. In the South, summer TH'ing is brutal. Cheers!!
PS - The human body has 3 thermostat locations, one on the forehead, and one on each wrist. Look at the old pics of Native Americans outside in the heat, they have a head cloth across their foreheads, and lots of times strips of cloth or beaded wristlets on their wrists. They already knew about these thermostat locations long before the scientists "discovered them." If you insulate these points on your body you can take more heat better, works the same for extreme cold too. I wear a bandana and cloth stretchy tennis wristlets in high heat, helps keep the sweat off my machine and out of my eyes too, the sweat will keep them wet and the evaporation will help cool your thermostats. Take a look at my avatar, Geronimo and crew weren't trying to be pretty, but trying to beat the brutal desert heat. Take care!

Last edited:

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I only hunt in the early morning during the late spring/summer/early fall. I focus my time on research and developing new leads. Once the fall starts in earnest, I'm hunting every day.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Today it was near 100 degrees.
How do you deal with this heat?

Up after daybreak.

Done by 11:30am.

Nothing till 5pm, and then only with a cold beer.

Inside during the thunderstorms.

Back out after the afternoon rain.

Back in when the 'skeeters come out.

You will learn to develop a rhythm.

Let the tourists use up all the extra UV rays.

S

stefen

Where we live in NorCal, Land of the Giant Redwoods, the average daytime temp ranges between 55 and 64 degrees...year round. At 72 its called a heat wave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread