Feb 28, 2007
Leesburg, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Whites PI Pro, Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Don't have any pics, but went down a ways (for me) to New Smyrna Beach early this morning to check out the situation there. Managed to get there just after low tide, but drove out on the beach and all the way North to a break water that was starting to get pretty loaded with fishermen.

I worked the area right on the South end of Ponce Inlet for a while in about knee deep water with no finds to speak of. Had fun watching this jet ski idiot run right through some fishing lines though. Well, gotta enjoy yourself any way you can sometimes.

Didn't get any hits near the break water, except for one 3oz fishing weight. Moving further South, I started to get some targets, found some clad and a few misc fishing line items.

Had to move the cars because the driving lane was getting smaller and smaller with the tide coming in. I was going to move down to where I had seen a huge collection of surfers, but by then, around 10, the beach was PACKED!

Anyone know if this beach is always standing room only? Or was it just because of Labor Day? Granted, there is not as much Dune to Break sand area as Daytona, but it would have been very difficult to even find a place to park.

I think I would like to go back and work some of the parking/soft sand area when there is nobody there. Maybe this would be an after work think during the week, since I work in Holly Hill. Anyone in the area that might want to hook up for an hour or two this week after work? I know that low tide is not in the late afternoon till next week, but we can work the heavily used parking and sun bathing areas.

Jack

Attachments

• smyrna.jpg
    smyrna.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 604

newbiemike

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2007
I go to this park fairly often to go fishing, but have never gone MD'ing there, it is usually not busy at all, but I go during the week

Hangingfor8

Dec 16, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, Florida 32168
Detector(s) used
Minelab and Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That north end is alot of "new sand" not from dredging but from the normal long shore current. Most of your finds will be modern. New Smyrna is a great place to hunt for modern treasures considering it's one of the top surfing beaches on the east coast. When I look for treasures there I focus from Beachway ramp north to the Jettys. That's where all the gold wearing kids are. If the sun is shining there normally people there though. Most people are very friendly and the beach patrol is a bunch of good people. Have fun and Good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions