Has archeology killed it for Florida ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are you talking about?

OP
OP
Tristan De Luna

Tristan De Luna

Aug 13, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro , Vanquish 340,
and coming soon, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most post in florida are just dead or inactive anymore

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most only post in specific state forums when looking for hunting partners, or advertising local hunts.

OP
OP
Tristan De Luna

Tristan De Luna

Aug 13, 2020
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II , Bounty Hunter Quick Draw Pro , Vanquish 340,
and coming soon, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why couldn't we work together? Enthusiasts and Archeologist. We should have a yearly permit given by the state to allow for enthusiasts who would be willing to pay $500-$1500 for the permit. That would wean out the people who wouldn't be as serious about guidelines that would also have to be set. Like GPS location of where the item was found. Scale measurements, photos that can all be put in an online museum. The amount of information we would gain would be amazing. The funds from the licenses could go to parks and recreational services to beautify our beaches and parks across Florida. This hobby would flourish like crazy not to mention the amount of trash that would be collected from our waters and landscapes.

EagleEye1

Banned
Apr 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Why couldn't we work together? Enthusiasts and Archeologist. We should have a yearly permit given by the state to allow for enthusiasts who would be willing to pay $500-$1500 for the permit. That would wean out the people who wouldn't be as serious about guidelines that would also have to be set. Like GPS location of where the item was found. Scale measurements, photos that can all be put in an online museum. The amount of information we would gain would be amazing. The funds from the licenses could go to parks and recreational services to beautify our beaches and parks across Florida. This hobby would flourish like crazy not to mention the amount of trash that would be collected from our waters and landscapes.

Interesting and some good points raised. Here is my big issue, I have noticed many archeologists and/or archeological "sites" are just left to decay and items literally are washing away into waterways (like Indian mounds for example). With that said, I get archeologists being protective of areas as there has been some serious looting, selling and damage done to areas that make it impossible to remake it as it would have been (like Fort King), but they're also appears to be no attempt to remake most of said areas and they are clearly going away and becoming party central trash filled areas etc (like say Indian mounds with airboat parties and trash EVERYWHERE).

Another important thing to note is that MOST places were indeed discovered before any laws existed by locals residents and/or those interested in history and thus how we know these places exist to begin with, not some 20-40 something college graduate archeologist..

Also, with the rapid development in our State, I can only imagine how much has been destroyed forever just TODAY via land clearing and paving over a new area. I don't think the developers are too keen on reporting finds unless it's something they can't exactly ignore like skeletons etc, and even then if you've seen some of these land clearing and construction crews etc, I don't think they would even notice some pottery or chert fragments here and there etc.

It's a tricky subject for sure. LOL, and $500 for a license is out of my range, I wanted an AT PRO, thank God the Nokta Makro Simplex + came about or I'd be screwed!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions