crazy idea

gilbarbarian

May 3, 2005
Ive had this crazy idea for some time to move to florida and hunt for treasure. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea. Im in my late 30's and just want to get out of the midwest. How likely am I to even find treasure with a metal detector combing the beaches every day? Where is a good place to even start? Thanks for any information.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I don't blame you for wanting to leave the Midwest!! It kinda stinks here... but at least the weather is finally "half-way" decent! lol
Second, I'm from Florida and will be *hopefully* heading back there in a few weeks. It's definitely my favorite state ever, but as far as moving there to get rich... yeah, it would be a stretch and a HUGE amount of luck & chance! If you detected the beaches persistently every single day with a good detector, then you stand a very good chance to find lots of nice and possibly expensive jewelry. But in no means will you ever make a "living" off of the hobby. Even if you had hundreds of thousands of dollars to purchase your own boat and gear to hunt the waters for shipwrecks, again it's nothing "promising" that will be guaranteed to net in a fortune.

This whole thing is basically a fun & rewarding hobby, but you'll be lucky to find items (i.e. expensive diamond rings, necklaces, etc.) that would pay off your detector & batteries. Then you've got gas prices, which you'll probably never pay for by treasure hunting. lol

But treasure hunting is definitely fun & relaxing, so if you have the chance to move down there and detect every day and still be able to afford to live down there, then DO IT!!!! I'm sure you'll probably never regret it, until we get a good hurricane that is. :wink:

Bran <><

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Bran said everything I could say about this little patch of paradise, except that it's really overcrowded and you'll have to maybe live in your car because the cost of homeowners insurance and property taxes are way higher than the wages are, but, if I and anyone else can't disuade you from coming down and going treasure "hunting", come on down, but remember, they don't call it "treasure finding". :icon_sunny:

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a lot of people have this same idea, I have never seen so many metal detectors on the beach, even before it gets light they are there.......

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living the life and the dream in Florida!

Come on down, the water is warm and the sun is shining!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
as a hobby its great as a way of making a living --brutal is the word thar comes to mind --but its fun to try

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gilbarbarian said:
Ive had this crazy idea for some time to move to florida and hunt for treasure. Can anyone tell me if this is a good idea. Im in my late 30's and just want to get out of the midwest. How likely am I to even find treasure with a metal detector combing the beaches every day? Where is a good place to even start? Thanks for any information.

I lived in the Midwest from North Dakota to Missouri, from Nebraska to Ohio, I can understand maybe wanting to move away. (no insult to those from there) I got tired of shoveling snow, scrapping Ice and frost.

If your planning on finding enough from hunting for treasure to pay for your food and lodging, you had better enjoy eating Alpo and sleeping in cardboard boxes. :tard:

If your going to work and want to just enjoy the pleasure of hunting our many beaches then you will have a blast. The "eye-candy" alone makes a daily detecting trip worth while :thumbsup:........

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
If you can develop a market back in the mid-west for the elusive 'Florida beach pop top' you will make gazillions in your first month here.

I'll show you where to hunt, for a cut of the profits of naturally.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey there

I would first experiment and vacation here to some of the more well known treasure hunting spots such as Sebastian, jupiter, and the keys.

I would advise you to do this before considering moving to FL if your only reason to move is for treasure hunting...In fact if you do the reasearch there are treasures all over this great Land of ours!!

If you have hopes and dreams of mel fisher proportions than you might not want to get your hopes up...

Dont be lured by the things you see in the media...the people who have found treasure in Florida are the one who have invested hundreds of dollars to find it.

Unless you have that kind of money, dont bet on finding anything worth much...

In fact do it for the fun of it instead!!

Larry

Deerdog40

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I would like to add a question to this man's question !!!!!!!!! How much do you think Crackbadger finds in his rings? Maybe that is what he's asking!!! If he found that kinda stuff. Could he make a living? It does look like a very GOOD idea after checking out all the 2007 finds of last year

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread