Seminole War Forts

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
There is an interesting newspaper clipping from the 1960's at the Pensacola Regional Library's Special Collections Department. It's an article about a crane/dredge operator excavating new canals for the Holiday Isles residential area being built on the beach in Destin, FL. Apparently, the guy scooped up several thousand dollar's worth of Spanish silver coins and bars.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
Armchair,Im at a dead end.All I found was probably whateveryone else has read.Whatever you punch up on the internet and it comes up.How do you heavy hitters get beyond the internet for info?

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Look at Relicdude's post above and call Kellyco in Orlando and order Harry Rainey's book entitled Forts, Batteries and Camps in Florida.

bigscrub

Jul 10, 2005
brandon,fla
Detector(s) used
minelab ex 2, wot,and joey coils, garrett deepseeker,whites 6000 di pro
hello relic and armchair...i have been to quite a few of these forts mentioned ...as well as a bunch not mentioned...back in the 70's and 80's.....problem is i dont remember how to get back to most...i do know some cant be hunted anymore...mostly because of developement...but also because the property has changed hands and new owners wont agree to hunting their property from what i have been told by a couple people who also hunted some of these same forts! I am interested in going back though...i use a minelab (ex 2) these days...and still have a few deepseekers that i used back in the day when i hunted forts...maybe a few of us can get together and do a few hunts...like maybe 4 or 5...but more than that and it gets really hard to get permission to get on property it seems....smile,bigscrub...hey these posts are old...did any of you go hunt yet?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Hello everyone ......I have been reading all these posts and starting to do some research myself.I just moved to Oviedo Fla from Franklin Ma.Im done with the winters and waiting for spring to break ground again.If anybody is in my area and would like a hunting buddy for a day just holla....I have no preferences on where to go wether it be the beaches or relic hunting ,coin shooting parks and playgrounds,or just researching at a local library for future hunts.I just dont really know anybody besides a handfull of guys im working with here.So if theres a group hunt coming up or anything i can help with just let me know ill check back daily now that im all settled in.

fllawboy

Feb 19, 2008
Weston, Florida
Detector(s) used
White MXT/Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you all set up a hunt, count me in. I am down in Miami, but willing to travel for a hunt at an old fort site.

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
Hi everybody,

I've researched an abandoned fort location that also has an interesting post-military history during the 1800s. I'm currently trying to identify the landowner. I would love to hunt this area with a small group, say 3-5 people. It's very much off the beaten path and might require boat access. Also, at least one member of the team should have experience with alligators and snakes. Sounds fun, yes? I'll post an update once I locate the landowner.

In the meantime, I would love to join others in a hunt of any sort. I live in Orlando and will travel.

Cheers,
Dan

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL Dan, Nic and I in St. Pete would swim out there with the gators, holding the detectors over our heads, hahahaha! No joke :tard: ;D :-X
Sites that age are very few in this state. Happy hunting!!@
Tom

Sundancer

Feb 14, 2009
Fort White, Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Tesoro Lobo
I live just north of Fort White, FL. Yes, there was a fort here on the Santa Fe river, another named Ft. Call over by Alachua and several others around here.. I have a DFX and would like to hunt these forts too..

Mike

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sun,

well the wife and i are in gainesville, im been looking into a few ghost towns and other sites in this vicinity, not sure how the others hunt came along since this thread started last year..would love to see a bunch of us hit up a nice spot ..gregg

hit me up we can check some of them out

bigscrub

Jul 10, 2005
brandon,fla
Detector(s) used
minelab ex 2, wot,and joey coils, garrett deepseeker,whites 6000 di pro
I have replyed to this original post awhile back and didnt get a responce back for some reason! I know of a few forts i have hunted many yrs ago...many yrs.(the 70's) i have along with a few others dug quite a few great items..buttons,coins, bottles, breast plates,buckles , artifacts ect...many dont exist today because of developement ...many of them! because of reasons i wont talk about...i quit hunting the forts mentioned! but im ready to go back to a few if possable..because of so much time has gone by...i cant remember how to get to most of them...and no...just because you have been a few times in the past...doesnt mean you can remember how to go back! many times i have been and slept during the drive because we left so early in the morning...or hunted somewhere else during the day in the basic area...and then only hunted it for an hour before dark before we headed home...(maybe a 4 or 5 hr trip!)sometimes i was taken there by friends who knew the landowners or caretakers and when we got there...we all stayed in the car or truck while the friend went to "talk us in" so to speak! lots of times...most times...these places (back then) were very heavy woods areas...today...who knows until you get there now (if you can find the places again) Im QUITE SURE...there are plenty of people on this forum who would love to goto these places to hunt...duh...places are and have run out to hunt like the places i talk about now! people are hunting them im sure ...(some of them) like anything...greed plays a big part of why a site might not be open to hunt! The laws have changed drastically from the 70's as far as historical sites go...and the state takes a grim stance as well! my time is limited because of work, and im a single parent as well...not to mention health issues we allhave in our later yrs! Recently ....an old friend asked me to go to a show with him...bottle show !said imight see a few the oldguys" from yrs ago ...our little click so to speak! I went...and yes it happened...i ran across maybe 5 or 6 of the people who i have hunted with many times at at "the forts"! some told me of i few items they found after i stopped going ect...my partner from back then had died. We burned the road up traveling back and forth to tallahassee in those days going to the special sections of the library doing research! It was a good time back then for the mding hobby...lots of places to go...lots of options to explore! anyways...i will be contacting a few people who have posted on this thread in the near future...and we will see what we can find in this new era of mding! there are areas in n. fla where some forts still exist and are being hunted by a select few...connections mean alot for sure! living in the area means alot...(good ole country boy type thing) I know...i hunted up that way for 25 yrs...thats how it is in most places! I doubt its changed much...some things never do! smile,big scrub

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely, the wife loves to watch me dig..lol..been researching a civil war site, but alot of it may be protected, but some may be on rpivate land, also a few old roadss, and areas, im not the greatest researcher..anyways hear from ya soon big..gregg

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Ferrous Bueller said:
Hi everybody,

I've researched an abandoned fort location that also has an interesting post-military history during the 1800s. I'm currently trying to identify the landowner. I would love to hunt this area with a small group, say 3-5 people. It's very much off the beaten path and might require boat access. Also, at least one member of the team should have experience with alligators and snakes. Sounds fun, yes? I'll post an update once I locate the landowner.

In the meantime, I would love to join others in a hunt of any sort. I live in Orlando and will travel.

Cheers,
Dan

hey buddy...I am in Oviedo and willing to hunt anytime.

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5
Ok , someone has to start this so I will ...
Place ... Hogans sub shop (the bomb shelter ) lunch meeting on a sat or sun 1 o clock.
Thats in your back yard ocala six .. so now the actual date ... and who wants to be there ?? discussion please.

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
I am searching the California Swamp area, anybody into swamp hunting? Need 1 or 2 people that like nture and are not afraid of the wild!
It may be lucrative!

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hogans sub shop in gainesvilles? im off every other weekend, will figure out more when i get home from work later..gregg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread