Couple teeth and an object to ID

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I found these on a Florida beach recently. The teeth are pretty easy to ID, but the claw or whatever it is, I don't know about. The claw, or whatever, is 7/8 inch long and is a bit asymetrical, which I think you can see from the photo. Crabs claw? Or what? I'm pretty sure it is fossil. Looks and feels just like the teeth.

Here are the photos. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• foss 001.jpg
    foss 001.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 280
  • foss 002.jpg
    foss 002.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 283
  • foss 003.jpg
    foss 003.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 311

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
Looks like a tapir incisor and some deer teeth in a piece of jaw? Ok, horse incisor sounds good also. Harry , did you make the show today? 8) 8) 8) :)

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
It could be tapir, William; but, tapir canines are "blocky" while horse canines have blade-like carinae. I thought I saw bladelike carinae on this tooth.

I didn't make it to the G'ville show. I hope to get to the St. Leo show at the end of next month.

tapircanines.JPG

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Harry Pristis said:
Er . . . the "pretty easy to ID" teeth are deer teeth. I still thing that the canine tooth is from a horse. Here's a camel canine for comparison:

That is getting close to the actual shape, although still a little different, which may not mean anything. Mine doesn't have a perceptible root area except possibly a little, and I mean very little, on the rounder end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread