Fossil or Rock?

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I posted photos of this item in the Rocks and Gems forum thinking that it was a rock and not a fossil. However, some of the people over there think that it is a fossil, so I am posting it over here.
What do you think?

It might help to know that it was found on a Florida beach where I have never seen a rock like that, but where I have found both fossils and Indian points. When I first picked it up I thought it was a fossil tooth, but after cleaning it off and getting a better look, I thought it was a rock. It seems to be very dense, but the layers are so thin and irregular (curved and wavey), that I doubt it would be used by the Native Americans to make points. Just doesn't look like it would flake well, even though I don't really know much about that.

The guys on the rock and gem forum seem to be going towards a conclusion of chalcedony fossil (if I am fairly summarizing majority opinion).

Attachments

• rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 411
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 414
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 413
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 415
  • rock1.jpg
    rock1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 406
  • rock4.jpg
    rock4.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 416
  • rock3.jpg
    rock3.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 404
  • rock2.jpg
    rock2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 405

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
what a great find!! I was waiting to see what Harry or Fossis had to say. are you gonna go back & dig at the same spot?

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
mamabear said:
what a great find!! I was waiting to see what Harry or Fossis had to say. are you gonna go back & dig at the same spot?

Yep. I'll go back. That white stripe really threw me off for a while.

I'll be looking for his tail the next time, then try to connect them. Just kidding.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I'd say fossil, too. Portion of mastodon seems at least possible.

Only seen mammoth locally, but their molars are massive: several pounds each, and 8-9 inches in depth.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
A Friend found this rock which looks like it has a skull and back hip with right leg bones on the top part of the rock like it's leaning over the rock. bottom photo looks like a back and hip area. Or am I seeing things? ???

Attachments

• 2010 Summer x1 509.jpg
    2010 Summer x1 509.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 297
  • 2010 Summer x1 510.jpg
    2010 Summer x1 510.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 300

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread