Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Here are some examples to help identify your finds:

bisoncamelm3B.JPG bisoncamelm3.JPG

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Good thread Harry and a good idea as they can be confusing.
So what is your take on the Elk stuff as quite a few of it found around here?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
reef12 said:
Elk fossils are found around where, 'reef12' ? Not in Florida where I have collected, I think. Earlier reports from Florida and Georgia are doubtful, according to Kurten and Anderson.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Somewhere in my house I have a fossilized tooth. This thread has got me wondering. I always though the tooth was from an alticamelus, but maybe I'm wrong. Found in the Willamette Valley, Oregon, in a field owned by my family. My father found a Smilodon canine about 40-50 years ago in a ditch draining the same field, and other fossilized bone/teeth fragments have been found in the field as well: usually after plowing, and after heavy rainfall. This particular area might have been a backwater eddy for some of the Bretz Floods of 15,000-12,000 years ago, so fossils could have been deposited after one of the floods. Several multi-ton glacial erratics also have been found in the valley. Only really odd thing I remember about the tooth I found was that some of the dentition had already been replaced by either common opal or agate. Sorry I can't provide a photo. I was basing my identification of alticamelus from the size of the molar, multiple roots, and nearly twice the height of a similar modern horse's tooth.

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Tuberale said:
Somewhere in my house I have a fossilized tooth. This thread has got me wondering. I always though the tooth was from an alticamelus, but maybe I'm wrong. Found in the Willamette Valley, Oregon, in a field owned by my family. My father found a Smilodon canine about 40-50 years ago in a ditch draining the same field, and other fossilized bone/teeth fragments have been found in the field as well: usually after plowing, and after heavy rainfall. This particular area might have been a backwater eddy for some of the Bretz Floods of 15,000-12,000 years ago, so fossils could have been deposited after one of the floods. Several multi-ton glacial erratics also have been found in the valley. Only really odd thing I remember about the tooth I found was that some of the dentition had already been replaced by either common opal or agate. Sorry I can't provide a photo. I was basing my identification of alticamelus from the size of the molar, multiple roots, and nearly twice the height of a similar modern horse's tooth.

Need to find that puppy and post a picture.

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Harry Pristis said:
reef12 said:
Elk fossils are found around where, 'reef12' ? Not in Florida where I have collected, I think. Earlier reports from Florida and Georgia are doubtful, according to Kurten and Anderson.

No Elk in Florida not even from times gone by.
Found here in Oklahoma where there are none no more.
So I do have jaws that are larger then a deer with basically the same kind of teeth,but of cause much larger.
I will post some pics when I find them ,as they have been put up for awhile.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
reef12 said:
Harry Pristis said:
reef12 said:

So I do have jaws that are larger then a deer with basically the same kind of teeth,but of cause much larger.
That's interesting, 'reef12' -- show us the elk jaws. And the Alticamelus tooth sounds interesting. Alticamelus (now Aepycamelus) is known from the Late Miocene of Florida.

This genus and several others comprise the Subfamily AEPYCAMELIDAE, the giraffe camels. I have an extraordinary neck vertebra that I think must have belonged to one of the tall camels.

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Harry Pristis said:
reef12 said:
Harry Pristis said:
reef12 said:

That's interesting, 'reef12' -- show us the elk jaws. And the Alticamelus tooth sounds interesting. Alticamelus (now Aepycamelus) is known from the Late Miocene of Florida.

This genus and several others comprise the Subfamily AEPYCAMELIDAE, the giraffe camels. I have an extraordinary neck vertebra that I think must have belonged to one of the tall camels.

Will do when I dig them out.
Cheers
Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread