OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Martingeetars said:
Parahippus leonensis?
Honestly, Martin, there are no horses or horse-relatives among the six mystery toe bones. Parahippus is an Early Miocene horse.
perissodactyl.unguals.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
These intrique me, Harry. You've created an interesting thread, at least to me.

If A, B and C are more closely related to each other than to D, E and F, are A, B and C from broader footed animals, and D, E, and F from narrower footed animals? The very broad A and C suggest possibly a fin or swimming adaptation.

The nails or claws in D, E and F suggest to me something more land-based. Wolf? Dire wolf?

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Tuberale said:
These intrique me, Harry. You've created an interesting thread, at least to me.

If A, B and C are more closely related to each other than to D, E and F, are A, B and C from broader footed animals, and D, E, and F from narrower footed animals? The very broad A and C suggest possibly a fin or swimming adaptation.

The nails or claws in D, E and F suggest to me something more land-based. Wolf? Dire wolf?
Dire wolf claw cores are much more similar to the cat's in the line-drawing above.

Big clue: Three of these unguals or claw cores are from mammals, but three of them are NOT.

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
I have a question to ask and would like very much like to know what you people think. I live right where North Carolina, Georgia, Tenn all come together. I have a wonderful Indian Artifact collection and still hunt. My question is are there fossils in this area? I have picked up rocks of iron like metalic material, copper ore, and what was identified as small garnets and I once or twice a year pan for gold in White Co. Georgia and find tiny pin head sized nuggets and dust, The pin heads look so neat under x20 mag. I have found two meitors but never noticed a fossil in or out of the water. Are there any here and where would I look. We have thousands of branches and creeks and a few rivers here in the Mts. Some knowledge would be appreciated, Thanks

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Harry Pristis said:
Okaaay . . . I had almost forgotten this thread. Here is the key to the identification of these claw cores. Thanks to all who participated!

Ya got me, Harry! I would never have guessed Giant Armadillo nor crocodile. I always thought crocodiles were Southern Hemisphere.

Those glyptotheres sure look similar to Giant Armadillos!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread