Fossilized Egg?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When contacting universities, keep in mind that most geology departments have no experience with meteorites. Meteorites are cosmic samples, not Earth rocks, and it is meteoriticists or planetary geologists that will have the needed experience to distinguish cosmic samples, such as meteorites, from Earth samples. Don't be afraid to ask if the person or persons you show it to have experience with meteorites.

Just as a general observation, the attributes that suggest this rock is not a meteorite are it's egg like shape and perfectly smooth exterior. Both are not typical of meteorites at all, and would be highly unusual. Regmaglypts are the thumbprint like features seen on the exterior of meteorites, be they iron or stone. Perfectly smooth like this rock is would not be typical, nor is its shape what would be expected.

Good luck seeking out an answer. It's not impossible, it's far better then some of the candidates posted in the meteorite section in fact...

Last edited:
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the comments. I did send some pictures to an authority in the US (Dr. Randy Korotev) and he gave me a firm "Maybe" ...2hich from him is something in and of itself. I actually work at a university and one of the geology professors is an expert with respect to meteorites but wasn't immediately reachable. I will touch base with him asap and present him with the rock. It's an interesting path of pursuit that I would like to finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread