I need help with identification

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this awhile back and I'm not sure what it is. Looks like something coiled up, maybe a snail. I also thought maybe fossilized dung. Any ideas?
DSC09730.JPG DSC09731.JPG DSC09732.JPG DSC09733.JPG DSC09734.JPG DSC09736.JPG DSC09737.JPG DSC09738.JPG DSC09739.JPG

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Defenently NOT dung. It looks like either a rock, or a worn snail shell cast fragment....which technically is still a rock.

OP
OP
J

johnger1

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure I know what you mean, I don't think it's a shell . I've got a bunch of shell fossils,this doesn't look like that. It looks like fossilized soft tissue,minus the shell. Maybe the shell was filled with mud and the shell broke away.I don't see any detail of a shell. The photos don't show that when I look at them. Anyway that's what I'm seeing. Thanks for your opinion.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
That's why I said it most likely was just a rock. When a shell is buried, it is very common for mud or dirt to fill the hollow living spaces of the organism. They harden, as the shell sometimes breaks away. What is left is a rock that has the shape, size, and texture of the shell as it would be seen from the inside. I don't think it is a shell cast, not dung. But it has a very minute possibility of a snail cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread