Carboniferous Agassizodus Corrugatus "Crusher Shark" tooth - Peoria county Illinois

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carboniferous Agassizodus Corrugatus "Crusher Shark" tooth - Peoria county Illinois

Here is a very nice shark tooth from a layer of shale overlaying a bituminous coal seam which outcrops in Peoria County. The fossils to be had are sparse and poorly documented, but very interesting specimens can be found if you spend some time splitting the shale.

182_632246435930_7358_n.jpg

182_632246440920_8523_n.jpg

I've found plenty of the lone Listracanthus denticles in the shale too, but a particularly fascinating find was a "death assemblage" of hundreds upon hundreds of rather small denticles from a juvenile individual. I can't make sense of the jumble, but have a feeling that it would be informative to those with a better eye for such things. Pics later if people are interested.

Perico

May 29, 2012
Very interesting. Very different way of fossiling for me. Sounds fun!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice tooth plumbata. Those early shark teeth are rare and really unique. Do you have any teeth, denticles, or Hyneria fossils that you'd like to trade? I've got some nice Cretaceous marine and land fossils as well as Pleistocene fossils. Pm me if you're interested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread