Not a fossil? Natural?

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
Was it near any old waterways? Looks like a megladon tooth. They find a lot of them back east. We don't have them out here in the west coast, as megladons don't live near cities. Lol!

Perico

May 29, 2012
I would have picked that up too. Too conical for a megaladon tooth. Not seeing enamel. Don't even think it is bone looks like stone from the angles you posted. Let's get some other opinions. The seam had me doing some double takes.

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. Found on SC riverside where I have found several Indian artifacts. I have some others rock things that look natural/unnatural...?? if that makes any sense lol. I would like to post them eventually. Not Magnetic.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey MrTodd, Not meg. No 'grain' nor enamel- and the same is wrong. Looks natural to me. I used to spend literally all my time hunting riverside, and those rocks- those imposters- pop up all the time. I too would have been curious enough to take it home for a second or third look. HH! Yakker

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do enjoy searching the rivers and have done ok doing so. I agree, many imposters but sometimes, I think the river wear can make one think imposter with artifacts. not sure about fossils?? I do have a cool one (I think so anyway) I found and I will post a pic

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting fossil, although I couldn't id it-- but maybe Perico is on it. As far as meg teeth go, even in MD where I used to live, they had erosion issues, but nothing that would make it look like yours. Here are some I found in an unlikely place- far from where anyone had found any, and subject to a lot of wear and tear- as the large one would suggest. Good luck and HH! Yakker

0304141003a.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang, after looking at yours, I see a lot of resemblance to others I have but even more eroded... Found in river at the fall line... Mid state Sc. They are different material than the pics I posted in this thread.
Yes, the last pic is a bivalve. I have another I found, smaller and a little different shape.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well then, show us some pics!! The key thing is the striations on the megs. Obvious every time, I think. Yakker

OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the rock I was originally thinking about but would like to get your opinion on this one. Natural?? To me, it has an interesting shape and other characteristics. thanks

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2930.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would that be some sort of coral? I used to pick up a lot of horn coral- and I don't have any pics, but pulled this from google images. looks just like what I found- and similar to yours:

horn-coral-ky.jpg

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually it is most likely a fossil bone.

would that be some sort of coral? I used to pick up a lot of horn coral- and I don't have any pics, but pulled this from google images. looks just like what I found- and similar to yours:

horn-coral-ky.jpg

Sorry yakker, it is not a rugosa coral.
The crystalized area is where the actual marrow once was.
Mrtodd's specimen has all the earmarks of a fossil rib bone.

From what creature is anybody's guess.
A singular bone is a guessing game as to what it came from.

Knowing the context of where it came from would at least give prominence as to it's age.
Area, deposit etc....

Jess B.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrtodd

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input! I found it in a Sc river in the Midlands. It is more flat than cylindric like the coral. The area I hunt, had produced lots of pottery, points, and tools. I have collected many pieces/rocks and am currently in the process of organizing them. I am excited to learn what I have!! Thanks!!!

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for setting me straight Bone2Stone ;) I always appreciate an education. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions