Help identifying fossil...... Footprint?

pattyjh

Mar 15, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any idea what this might be? I found it on the shore of Lake Michigan while Petoskey Stone hunting. image.jpg

jdsly

Mar 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool!!!!not a fossil hunter but i like it. Nice find

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL FIND !!:thumbsup:

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It does look very footprint like. Almost too footprint like. This has lead me to believe that it may be man-made. Possibly someone made a footprint shape or took the foot of a modern animal and made the print. Why? No idea. I could very well be wrong and you might have an actual fossil print. But due to his perfectness, the rock composition, and the Michigan's geological history I would say it's not want you are looking for.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've collected fossil dino tracks in central Massachusetts for years and just from looking it looks a little too perfect .

OP
OP
P

pattyjh

Mar 15, 2013
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpg Here are some pictures..... Also is a picture of the beach were I found it. It has been a couple years ago that I found it, but this pic was taken last weekend while I hunting petoskeys with girlfriends. This beach is FULL of cool rocks and fossils! It's called Christmas Cove and is at the top of the Leelanau Pennisula. My favorite place in the world!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Rivers rat

Oct 21, 2012
LONDON UK
Detector(s) used
Deus/Laser scout
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is so cooooool i got a dog footprind on a roman roof tile but that one is a killer

Well foung

RR

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe dino footprints can only be made,preserved, in sedimentary rock,limestone,sandstone,dolomite layers are needed.Your rock almost reminds me of quartz.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a rock to have such a rounded/tumbled shape to it and still have such a defined impression leads me to believe it is not a fossil but some other form of anomaly. The petoskeys you mentioned are usually nice and smooth as this stone should be from the waters action on it.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
If you follow the side "toes," you find they extend in a circle all the way around the structure. The "toes" are wear that follows seams, including a crack for the center "toe". My guess is there is a pelecepod within the matrix, and we're seeing just a suggestion of what's buried.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you follow the side "toes," you find they extend in a circle all the way around the structure. The "toes" are wear that follows seams, including a crack for the center "toe". My guess is there is a pelecepod within the matrix, and we're seeing just a suggestion of what's buried.

I would agree with this.

Cactus Pete

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Skykomish Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug SE w/two coils
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 w/two coils
Digital Control F5 (locating device for directional drilling)
Drillguide Gyroscopic Steering Tool (inertial guidance for directiona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I, too, notice the circular fracture pattern in the stone, which follows the outline of the "heel" of the footprint, and up to the two outside "toes." Looks more to me that there's a conchoidal stress pattern in the stone, and an impact from the top direction of the pattern, oriented along the middle toe and directed towards the heel, fractured out the three toed-pattern. In short, this looks like a chance mechanical fracture - but a very cool one, indeed!

Or, maybe it was left by a mechanical visitor to earth - call it a "Transformer footprint." :)

BTW - I'm a registered professional geologist in Washington State.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread