***Help to Identify*** - Unusual Rock/Fossil Stone/Tool ?

MRants

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello - I thought I'd start with this site and forum to get an idea of what and how this rock would have come about. My parents recently passed away, and my mother was a huge collector of unusual stones, and in particular she love to collect arrowheads that would be turned up during the spring plowing on the farm where she grew up. In looking through the boxes of stones, I found this one, and it just seems very unusual. Almost seem like it would have been man -made somehow for some purpose. Again, it could just be a fossilized nut or something, but i would think that they're would be more tell tale signs of it being an acorn (which are this perfectly round), etc. I'll stop putting out ideas before I sound ridiculous.

So any help in what this is, or how it was formed ? Theories ? Other sites to ask ?

Thanks !

20151102_114849.jpg 20151102_114833.jpg 20151102_114824.jpg 20151102_114751.jpg

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Rock. For what it's worth, I was on an arrowhead dig way out south east Texas coastal prairie a few years ago. The dirt was a deep red like it was full of iron and the occasional rock or boulder was very dense and twice as heavy as normal. I kept finding these golf and baseball sized round rock ball formations a few feet down under the surface. They were almost perfectly round, and they were all hollow with a red- black interior. It seemed to me they were just like hardened bubbles of a different composure from deeper down that never made it to the surface. Is that possible for what you found? If your interested I'll try to find a few pics to send.
Thanks Lone Star

OP
OP
M

MRants

Nov 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lone Star - thanks for replying. Sounds like an interesting find that you had yourself. That's a theory as to what this might be, and how it formed. But then to have this entire rock form around it and not just become all one rock without the round marble distinction in it. And as to where it was found, or even how it was cracked in such a straight line and in the perfect spot to reveal that marble. To be honest I havent tried cracking at it to see if it might bust open, but I'm not sure I'm willing to take that step yet, for the safety sake of not ruining something that I would regret.

Sure, if you could find some of those pics, that would be interesting to see. Hopefully this and maybe a few more responses might led to an understanding of what this is...

I just had a thought.. but.. not sure why it would look like this, but I'll have to do some more research. What did they used to make musket ammunition way, way back... metal would have to be melted then formed somehow into a perfect round shaped ball. This is a little large from what I know of like Musket rounds, so that's probably a dumb idea/guess. It's probably just a nut in a stone.... lol...

Thanks again !
Regards,

Cool Rock. For what it's worth, I was on an arrowhead dig way out south east Texas coastal prairie a few years ago. The dirt was a deep red like it was full of iron and the occasional rock or boulder was very dense and twice as heavy as normal. I kept finding these golf and baseball sized round rock ball formations a few feet down under the surface. They were almost perfectly round, and they were all hollow with a red- black interior. It seemed to me they were just like hardened bubbles of a different composure from deeper down that never made it to the surface. Is that possible for what you found? If your interested I'll try to find a few pics to send.
Thanks Lone Star

Whiplash00

Jan 21, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the straight lines and wear marks, it may have been used for something else...

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a fossil it looks like some kind of Gastropod. A little weird since there are no other visible fossils on the piece so I think it's just a one of those weird things Mother Nature does to laugh at us!!! It's still a cool piece non the less!!

Mrdigz

Nov 14, 2015
Long Island ,NY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT pros. Bullseye 2 & Bullseye trx pinpointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be the type of Gastropod I'm talking about. Prob the closest match if it is a fossil!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458249973.068834.jpg

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a concretion.

Lots of somewhat silly speculation going on in this forum.

It's great that everybody wants to share their ideas, but random uninformed speculation is just clutter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread